GPU NVIDIA Tesla P4 LP

b_force

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 28, 2019
So I have been searching around for quite a bit about the NVidia Tesla P4 I just randomly bumped into.

There are only a few older posts on the SSF forum and information about these cards seems to be rather scattered in general.

So basically this is just a professional card based on the same chip (GP104) as the GTX 1080 and Quadro P2000.
Just with much lower clock speeds and 8GB of RAM
It doesn't need any additional power, and just used up to 70W from the PCIE slot.

See: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/tesla-p4.c2879

Although this card doesn't have a display out port, it can be routed to the onboard video out within Windows as long as you have a CPU with build in graphics.

Initially this card didn't seem to be all that great, but I recently noticed that it can be bought for about $75-$100 on eBay and the like.

The performance is around the RX6400/GTX1650, probably ever so slightly better in some situations.
Unfortunately, like a lot of NVIDIA cards, you have to take some care not to bump into any driver headroom issues with older CPU's.

Some special GRID drivers are needed to get this running with games etc.
Which can be found at certain places ;)

Here are some benchmarks and reviews;

The card can be very easily modified with some additional fans (see video above).
(I personally would take two lower profiles fans, but anything will work! :) )

So, how do you think where this card stands in 2024 especially the price?
Or are modern perks that come even with budget cards (and upcoming AMD 8600G/8700G APU's) just making anything this old obsolete?

Does any of you have direct experience with these cards as well as the GRID drivers?
Are there any additional complications with games that use certain anti-cheat software etc?

Also I was wondering if there are any known mods, to increase its power?
I think that even adding a little more juice would really benefit this card. :)

b_force

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 28, 2019
No love for these cards? 😢

Or are we just all very exited about the upcoming AMD 8x00G series? 😁😎

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
those cards are quite popular in China because of the cheap second hand prices - I saw a couple of people putting them in their small DELL/LENOVO/HP office PCs that require low profile cards

you can find them including fan mod for just USD 70,- on TaoBao - for comparison the cheapest 6400/1650 sells for USD 110,-

1706064014033.png

for most people here I think it's not that interesting unless you love modding / tinkering with hardware and drivers ... :)

b_force

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 28, 2019
unless you love modding / tinkering with hardware and drivers ...
Isn't that what most of us do and sff cases are all about? 😂😂😉

I have seen these added fan adapters, but I find the solution shown in the video much more elegant tbh.
Also much easier.

The issue I have with most RX6400 cards is just the extremely poor heatsink plus the additional noise.

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Jul 6, 2023
The P4 doesn't offer additional performance over the A2000 I currently have, but it is certainly much cheaper. As a starter GPU for an 8-9th gen Optiplex system, I think it's a fantastic GPU for budget users! Personally I'm interested in the t4, but prices on those are still astronomical...