Motherboard msi B550I Gaming Edge Wifi

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have a 120mm AIO cooler that has a 4-pin(+12V-G-R-B) LED connector. I also have the Phantek Neon strip which uses 3-Pin 5V connector However, the MSI B550 ITX motherboard I believe can only take in a single 3-Pin 5V LED connector.

Does anyone what's the best solution to get everything working together?

I had a look at a few RGB/ARGB controller hubs, but most of them seem to allow 5V ARGB strips and fans to run from 12V headers, not the other way around.

You may need to run the Neon strip from the board, and get a separate RGB controller hub to run the AIO.

MattyKHZ

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2019
What is the current opinion on this board as with MSI promotion it is currently one of the cheapest B550i boards here in the UK.

Is the ASUS B550i worth £30-40 extra?

SexyPotato

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2020
I had a look at a few RGB/ARGB controller hubs, but most of them seem to allow 5V ARGB strips and fans to run from 12V headers, not the other way around.

You may need to run the Neon strip from the board, and get a separate RGB controller hub to run the AIO.

Thanks for looking for it. I did the same, I came across the Deepcool and Coolermaster ones. But yeah, all seem to only be able to convert 5V to 12V Motherboard connection, not the other way around (i.e. 12V devices to 5V motherboard connection). I guess this makes sense, it's much easier to convert from digital signal (5V) to analog signal (12V) than the other way around.

Thanks though! :)

osff

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2019
What is the consens of using the MSI with Noctua C14S inside the NCase M1? Does it fit on top? Does the C14 mount with the backplane now? I've got lost...

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Any thoughts on how to painlessly to update the BIOS and re-apply all settings back?
The most often I see is ... pen and paper :p

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Any thoughts on how to painlessly to update the BIOS and re-apply all settings back?
The most often I see is ... pen and paper :p
In 2020, the easiest is to use your phone's camera.
Actually, some mainboards allow saving the settings to a certain file and then you can re-apply it. But this usually works if you flash to the same BIOS. Once a BIOS is updated, certain features become different and it is just not as simple as 'copy-and-paste' from the old to the new one.

rickster

Chassis Packer
Oct 24, 2020
I found, what in new BIOS you can set passive mode for chipset fan. But is not passive mode, it's convulsions mode.
Third video. First two it is PWM delay demonstration.
Have you tried using a third party controller? The amount of people praising aquacomputer and their software is amazing.

I'm in the process of buying all my parts, i'm looking to build a dual rad loop in the Ncase M1. I got this mobo since it was on sale and it had the front USB C head and optical out and I didn't want to pay $430 for Asus DTX mobo. I'm going to buy an aqua computer quadro, the only thing I need to figure out which high flow sensor to get and how it connects to everything.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
Have you tried using a third party controller? The amount of people praising aquacomputer and their software is amazing.
Did you read carefully? Third party software can't bypass "smooooth" fan control at BIOS MB level.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
And why customers must buy separate controller, route extra cables if motherboard already can do? But someone in MSI marketing department doing wrong.

rickster

Chassis Packer
Oct 24, 2020
And why customers must buy separate controller, route extra cables if motherboard already can do? But someone in MSI marketing department doing wrong.
I agree having to buy third party hardware and use their software to avoid bugs is not acceptable. Did you RMA your board, do you know if other people have this issue? There's not much you can do other than that and make a fuss on social media, and never buy from them again.

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
This problem at all current MSI boards. I don't RMA board, because no any other better option. Most people do not uderstand what is it, how works and how must work. Use defaut bios settings and dont' care.

SexyPotato

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2020
Does any know the exact screw size/model for the heatsink? It only came with one and it is loose in my motherboard... Dumb me didn't open the box for like 2 months and now it's too late to exchange.

SexyPotato

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2020
Does any know the exact screw size/model for the heatsink? It only came with one and it is loose in my motherboard... Dumb me didn't open the box for like 2 months and now it's too late to exchange.

Not sure why the image is not showing. I am talking about the M.2 Heatsink with the fan on it. There is two black tiny screws

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I want to bring back the topic of temperature, as I still can't get my Ryzen 5 3600 under control and I want to be sure that it isn't the motherboard playing tricks.
At the moment of writing the post, it sits idle at 65-70C. This is with 65W PTT and -0.05v offset. Yes, the Wraith Stealth is spinning at the lower RPM (~1150) but even higher rpms do not result in better temps. If noone is complaining of such things, than it is just maybe a very, very bad silicon lottery :D

And one more thing - anyone having any issues with the latest bios, 7C92v151(Beta)? I am experiencing strange lock-ups lately and I don't know what to blame.

Last edited:

rainmaker33

Average Stuffer
May 8, 2020
I want to bring back the topic of temperature, as I still can't get my Ryzen 5 3600 under control and I want to be sure that it isn't the motherboard playing tricks.
At the moment of writing the post, it sits idle at 65-70C. This is with 65W PTT and -0.05v offset. Yes, the Wraith Stealth is spinning at the lower RPM (~1150) but even higher rpms do not result in better temps. If noone is complaining of such things, than it is just maybe a very, very bad silicon lottery :D

And one more thing - anyone having any issues with the latest bios, 7C92v151(Beta)? I am experiencing strange lock-ups lately and I don't know what to blame.
I am using this motherboard. My 3300X CPU temp hovers around ~52 degree C with 240 AIO. The Wraith Stealth is one of their slim cooler and may be inadequate in the cooling. I am using Bios 7C92v14.

NOKYARD

Trash Compacter
Jul 7, 2018

5600X under a ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO running 7C92v151 BIOS. Idle is 32, stress test is 60 degrees, no lockups that i noticed. I would check your paste and check if the cooler is properly mounted with the supplied backing plate first.

kanonengedonner

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2021
I am resuscitating an older thread ...how is everybody feeling about this mobo? I am about to pull the trigger on the max version...

With a 5600x CPU and a Noctua l9a fan (Noctua is sening spacers).