Modified PCIe 8-pin connector

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The Powerlink does not use PCB-mount headers, it uses full-size plugs with the wire crimps replaced with custom 'unitary spade' connectors that join to internal rails.

They exist, the trouble is tracking them down with the correct number of pins, and keyed correctly for PEG. If you have a MOQ of several tens or hundreds of thousand you could probably call up Molex and get them, but otherwise you're reliant on some other manufacturer having the same requirement, and surplus stock making its way to resale.

In that case, I am working a custom build with a 12V system. I'd be interested in something similar to the above, but instead of the plastic bracket, I'd like to have the unitary spade connectors to be soldered to some thicker wires at a right angle. The fact that most boards don't have recessed PEG connectors causes you to account for 15mm of clearance. In a small case I'm working on, the 15mm adds a solid .6L!

KareonKables

Cable Smoosher
KareonKables
Dec 16, 2016
I think the connector here might be cheaper when you start talking about design and soldering. The pre-designed items at KareonKables.com are pre-planned and work flawlessly.

KareonKables

Cable Smoosher
KareonKables
Dec 16, 2016
If the item that you want is not too difficult to build I will give it a try. Draw a picture of what you want and send it to me at KareonKables@gmail.com. I get a little concerned when I hear soldering because I did one for a customer that I charged $20 for. Before I was through I had invested 7 hours into back and forth messages. I will give it a try again. THanks

Reactions: K888D

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
They exist, the trouble is tracking them down with the correct number of pins, and keyed correctly for PEG.

Ah, they're part of the BMI line, I was just looking at the regular Mini Fit Jr page and didn't see any.

Edit: Hmm, there's a 6 circuit and a 10 circuit but not an 8.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
They exist, the trouble is tracking them down with the correct number of pins, and keyed correctly for PEG. If you have a MOQ of several tens or hundreds of thousand you could probably call up Molex and get them, but otherwise you're reliant on some other manufacturer having the same requirement, and surplus stock making its way to resale.

The additional problem with a PCB solution would be that it's not fit for every situation. Sometimes there's space underneath the GPU, sometimes there' space in front of it. So either you need a few different variants of this, or you need to hand-solder cables between the low-profile connector and the male end that the PSU would plug into and then put bond those connections to make them safe. Wouldn't look terrific in the end either.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The additional problem with a PCB solution would be that it's not fit for every situation. Sometimes there's space underneath the GPU, sometimes there' space in front of it. So either you need a few different variants of this, or you need to hand-solder cables between the low-profile connector and the male end that the PSU would plug into and then put bond those connections to make them safe. Wouldn't look terrific in the end either.

It can just be a made to order or as a kit you solder yourself. How it looks doesn't really matter. It is just ridiculous we have to account for a solid 15mm just for the cable. Recessed plugs or front plugs should be standard.

Also I am really tired of oversized shrouds and pcb in higher end cards when they use less power than last generation.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Well, we have to think about high volume production because at least the terminals for such a connector have to be custom made. The use for made to order products would only be possible if a high volume product existed that justified the cost of manufacturing such special connectors.

But I agree, recessed plugs on GPUs would solve the whole problem in the first place. I have to say, I don't mind an additional 15mm if it's used for a larger fan, and especially not if the power socket stays where it is.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
A properly spaced adapter could be included as a pack-in with GPUs. Goodness knows I'm still seeing high-end GPUs coming with DVI-VGA adapters in the box!

Reactions: Ceros_X

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0015247060/WM17601-ND/259399

Does this look like the right one? I checked the spacing and it is 4.20mm.

I'm adding it to my order from Digikey. I'll report back in 2 weeks to let you guys know if it is any good.
Sadly, if the 3D drawing supplied is correct this connector is not keyed correctly for PCIe power: the bottom-centre pin needs to be notched for PEG, whereas this connector is square, so will not insert into a PEG port on a GPU.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Sadly, if the 3D drawing supplied is correct this connector is not keyed correctly for PCIe power: the bottom-centre pin needs to be notched for PEG, whereas this connector is square, so will not insert into a PEG port on a GPU.

Bah humbug. I guess I'll know in 2 weeks. Not a big deal. I wonder why they made this different compared to their Mini Fit JR series.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
After much research, I have figured out why it's different. Molex created a custom design that is not part of their standard Mini Fit power connector family. The main different as Edz stated is one of the square connector needs to peg shaped. I can't find the whole family of their "custom for PCI Express add-in card only" line, and if you click the reference for their mini fit, it takes you to their standard mini fit. So it seems like this will not work. The search continues.

Reactions: Ceros_X

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
After much research, I have figured out why it's different. Molex created a custom design that is not part of their standard Mini Fit power connector family. The main different as Edz stated is one of the square connector needs to peg shaped. I can't find the whole family of their "custom for PCI Express add-in card only" line, and if you click the reference for their mini fit, it takes you to their standard mini fit. So it seems like this will not work. The search continues.

If you want to live (relatively) dangerously, you could use the non-polarized versions (receptacle and header). Just be careful which way you insert it.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-&-Pinouts.html for reference.
https://www.moddiy.com/search.php?search_query=pcie+gpu+header&x=0&y=0
https://cablemod.com/product-category/connectors/

The suggestion I was making was to use non-polarized headers (and maybe connectors, too) - polarized connectors would fit in the non-polarized ("all-square-hole") headers, but would not absolutely prevent plugging the wrong way round, which could lead to fried components. The advantage to this would be that the parts might be easier to source in bulk.

Moddiy and Cablemod appear to sell some polarized connectors, receptacles and headers. You would need to verify compliance with the actual polarization for GPU power. See the first link for the required polarization.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The advantage to this would be that the parts might be easier to source in bulk.
The problem is that non-keyed(all notched) vertical 6-pin Mini-fit Jr PCB through-hole headers are just as nonexistant as correctly polarised and keyed 6-pin PCB headers.

For connectors that attach to wires there are a massive number of options in a massive variety of colours, shapes and sized from multiple vendors. But those aren't what we're looking for.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Well, the references to the parts that exist have been spelled out, then. I didn't realize the standard Mini-fit Jr.s were polarized.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Well, the references to the parts that exist have been spelled out, then. I didn't realize the standard Mini-fit Jr.s were polarized.

If we were using standard mini fit junior, it would be even less of an issue since we can order a board mount female PCIe connector. However, the design is custom for PCIe and we haven't been able to find a board mount version.

Also, we can't use the part you suggested because it requires modifying the graphics card to have different heards. If I had to do that, I'd rather just straight solder some connections to the card.

How bout this... Would it be possible to 3d print one, with SLS print like shapeways, that is high of enough quality to handle it? SLS has heat deflection point at 350F, so it should be able to have an operating temp of around 200F safely.

https://www.3dsystems.com/quickpart...ction/selective-laser-sintering-sls/materials

Compared to molex connectors 105C operating temperature... it should be able to handle enough heat. We just need enough data to build and 3d print.