gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
Just got mine.

Hi are you planning to add gpu? This type of modular board has only 1x6pin pcie, which is deterring me from getting it because you need to use the splitter from 1x6p to 2x8p

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Hi are you planning to add gpu? This type of modular board has only 1x6pin pcie, which is deterring me from getting it because you need to use the splitter from 1x6p to 2x8p
that 6-pin connector is rated for 324 watts

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
Any results from your testing? I noticed the modular version you bought only has 1 PCIE 6+2 connector, whereas the stock non-modular one has 2*PCIE 6+2?
ya usually this type of modular board only has 1 pcie 6p, and they will provide 6p>2+6p wire, so if you need 2x pcie 2+6p, you need the splitter, which is why i'm worry but fellow member here said the 6p is rated more than 300w; there's another type of board providing pcie 8p, and also you need a splitter but that is better if split from 8p instead of 6p, but actually i'm not so sure also if this theory is verified or not ?

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
ya usually this type of modular board only has 1 pcie 6p, and they will provide 6p>2+6p wire, so if you need 2x pcie 2+6p, you need the splitter, which is why i'm worry but fellow member here said the 6p is rated more than 300w; there's another type of board providing pcie 8p, and also you need a splitter but that is better if split from 8p instead of 6p, but actually i'm not so sure also if this theory is verified or not ?
8 pin pcie connector has the same amount of 12v wires(3). the extra 2 positions are used for sense and ground. i'm not sure what the pin-out is for the 6-pin on that modular connector board but if you had a compatible 6-pin to 2 6+2-pin cable with 18awg wire you would almost certainly be fine. maybe getting one with 16awg would give you extra peace of mind.

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
8 pin pcie connector has the same amount of 12v wires(3). the extra 2 positions are used for sense and ground. i'm not sure what the pin-out is for the 6-pin on that modular connector board but if you had a compatible 6-pin to 2 6+2-pin cable with 18awg wire you would almost certainly be fine. maybe getting one with 16awg would give you extra peace of mind.
I think the factor is lies within the 6p connector used? If they use cheap connector it might melt under high load, is it? I have 16awg silicone wires, can easily swap the 18awg out

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
I think the factor is lies within the 6p connector used? If they use cheap connector it might melt under high load, is it? I have 16awg silicone wires, can easily swap the 18awg out
mini-fit jr crimp terminals and connectors are already extremely cheap and abundant. it's more likely that they would cheap out on wire or pcb traces. it's possible that they used something unbelievably cheap, but it's more likely that they skimped on the pcb itself. are you going to be pushing 400w to your gpu? if it seems too untrustworthy to you then maybe get the 600w enhance from sfftec. it's not modular but it has multiple pcie cables.

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
mini-fit jr crimp terminals and connectors are already extremely cheap and abundant. it's more likely that they would cheap out on wire or pcb traces. it's possible that they used something unbelievably cheap, but it's more likely that they skimped on the pcb itself. are you going to be pushing 400w to your gpu? if it seems too untrustworthy to you then maybe get the 600w enhance from sfftec. it's not modular but it has multiple pcie cables.
Nop, less than 300w (no OC) for gpu; I already have non modular Delta 500w platinum, looking forward to mod the wires or just getting another modular one if 6p>2x 6+2p has no concern as what you said ?

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Tristanoz

Caliper Novice
Mar 9, 2020
Yea but i don't see any better except the black colour, and maybe the lower noise fan? Mine already been changed to maglev bearing fan, it's much quieter now ?

For me those are a pretty big plus, I'd rather have something that has a quiet fan out of the box and the colour is nice.

That said,do you think this will be purchasable for consumers at some point? Because so far I've only seen this in the intel NUC.

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
For me those are a pretty big plus, I'd rather have something that has a quiet fan out of the box and the colour is nice.

That said,do you think this will be purchasable for consumers at some point? Because so far I've only seen this in the intel NUC.
But now we don’t have the price for this yet, can’t compare with the Enhance 500w Platinum. If price is too steep, I rather buy the Enhance, change the fan, and modify the casing to whatever colour of choice, in fact I already done with mine, I’ll update tomorrow, please checkout my post here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/psu-rewiring.12099/#post-184349

Last edited:

gbellman

Trash Compacter
Nov 7, 2019
And also they did mentioned about fully digital power supply, not sure if the Enhance has this feature or not

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
That PSU has been shipping in the NUC9i9QNX for a while now, not sure what's new. I do not see it available retail, do you...?