Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

There are 3 significant problems with this design:
  1. The total machining & threading costs would be very high and we need to use tiny screw (M1 or below) with super flat heads
  2. The space is very small and it's hard to cram all of the above into it
  3. More importantly, this creates quite a bit of air between the magnets, leading to significant decrease in pull force (it drops off exponentially with distance and even small separation can reduce the force a lot).
Now if we loctite the magnets to the shell there's a zero change of removing them without shattering the magnets, so this is a good solution but we've not nailed down the gluing at scale. Neodymium magnets are so fragile and tiny, it's hard to nail down a good alternative. We tried 3M tape but that was a big nono, things fell of really easily.

Now something I did notice when re-watching assembly videos is that the factory appears to apply the glue first to more than 1 shell, then fetch and attach the magnets to each of them. I'm not certain what effect this has, but my gut feeling tells me the glue may dry a bit in that time, hence loose some of its effectiveness. When I personally glued the magnets on the pre-production models (which sit rock solid even now) I applied some glue and then squeezed down the magnet right after.

DELO-ML is a great glue for bonding metal parts together. You have to mask or remove the anodizing layer in the glueing area because it's an anaerobic glue which needs metal ions to fully cure. Maybe it's worth a try... that's a very strong glue, also used in the automotive industry.

(Of course, could also try some anaerobic glue from LOCTITE, since DELO is difficult to get in China)

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020
I'm not sure where you're getting insurance scam from.

If you believe it wasn't done in transit, then it rules out that option for you.

I was trying to provide a helpful suggestion.

I appreciate the suggestion, but if you've followed the discussion from the start, I stated that the scratches had to be done at the factory by mistake and overlooked (or maybe they saw it and deemed it small enough to not be noticed and tried to slip it by). Just seemed like you were saying to file a claim and blame it on UPS when it's clearly not their fault. My apologies.

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
The best course of action now is to first deal with shipping and then with quality issues — doing both at the same time is a bit much for us right now. So once shipping is complete, we will work out a good solution for everyone affected.
Speaking of:
- we are Friday, has shipping resumed on Stealth cases for CAD/AUS or are we still QC?

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Speaking of:
- we are Friday, has shipping resumed on Stealth cases for CAD/AUS or are we still QC?

Yes, generating waybills as we speak 👍 Tracking emails have already been sent out to some but more over the weekend. Booking CA and JP atm, needed to check some thing with UPS regarding AU and KR and they promised us answer next week. Might throw in another large region while we wait, eyeing UK.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Yes, generating waybills as we speak 👍 Tracking emails have already been sent out to some but more over the weekend. Booking CA and JP atm, needed to check some thing with UPS regarding AU and KR and they promised us answer next week. Might throw in another large region while we wait, eyeing UK.
As somebody floated on Kickstarter, an easy to access scheme (maybe G. Sheets for example) where you can glance at the status of the order by color and country may make it easier for people to see when to start panicking that they haven't got a tracking number. What's missing in my example is date of last update. A bit like that chart you stare at in an airport when waiting for your checked luggage to come out.

THE IMAGE BELOW IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE AND IS NOT A REFLECTION OF REALITY

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
As somebody floated on Kickstarter, an easy to access scheme (maybe G. Sheets for example) where you can glance at the status of the order by color and country may make it easier for people to see when to start panicking that they haven't got a tracking number. What's missing in my example is date of last update. A bit like that chart you stare at in an airport when waiting for your checked luggage to come out.

THE IMAGE BELOW IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE AND IS NOT A REFLECTION OF REALITY
Maybe something strictly for Backers (since y'all should get visibility since you backed this project)
Keychron did something similar to what @For_Science pointed out in terms of g.sheet

(link to sheet is available).
It shows clearly if an email got sent. Considering that Alex you have to manually send the UPS numbers out I think its feasible? And maybe since you have already sent out all the US Stealth, you will probably only need to maintain 100 records or so

This is STRICTLY for backers. No name but it gives you progress update in terms of regions.
This is also for "just in case" you are currently working on a region and someone got missed out they can actively check the sheet on read-only mode

It is an option.

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020
For anyone interested in my issue with the case, Alex offered me a few options including a second hand replacement case listed on eBay (said I would have to cover shipping), a shell replacement, and then he also offered a return for refund with UPS pickup. I was thinking about taking the eBay and shell options, but In the end, I choose the refund and for UPS to pickup the case. I informed him I'll even drop it off to save him some money on the pickup costs, waiting on the return label now so I can hopefully drop it off before I leave for vacation.

I can arrange UPS to pick it up again, refund you the full costs and my friend will pay me instead.

As far as getting a full replacement, he doesn't seem to want to do it for whatever reason. I asked if there would be any issue with me re-ordering in the next batch after I get refunded, but he doesn't seem to want to answer me on this, so I'm guessing any new order from me isn't welcome. He also said in the e-mail:

You have very high surface finish requirements and I think we’re not able to deliver to your standards right now.

I'm honestly tired of this, I just want my money back and be done with it at this point. I feel like I shouldn't have had to do all this back and forth, it's just a waste of everyone's time and makes his company look bad and maybe even me, imo. I know some think it's acceptable scratches, while others don't, everyone is different and entitled to their opinion on it.

I'm sorry I've detracted from your guys updates and attention from Alex, I realize it's more important to focus on the group than one guy complaining about his issues, but I also felt it was important to share with the community. Hopefully this whole ordeal will prevent someone going through a similar experience and Alex changes his stance for future issues that may arise. I hope you guys all get perfect cases and don't have to go through anything similar as me. I won't be posting here anymore, unless Alex doesn't follow through with his offer. I'll still follow the project, as it's my favorite design of all time when it comes to SFF cases.

And I'm not discouraging anyone from buying, despite a private message I've received from a prominent poster to try and sabotage Alex and any future issues he might run into with defective cases, but that's not in my character. I'd never want to do that to anyone. I'm a kind person at heart and just wanted what I thought would be fair for me in my situation and even offered to help pay the shipping back to him if I got a replacement. I wish his company the best and it's unfortunate it played out like this, but I still think the quality and design of the case are the best on the market, I think I just got an unlucky draw of cards.

Best of luck everyone.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
For anyone interested in my issue with the case, Alex offered me a few options including a second hand replacement case listed on eBay (said I would have to cover shipping), a shell replacement, and then he also offered a return for refund with UPS pickup. I was thinking about taking the eBay and shell options, but In the end, I choose the refund and for UPS to pickup the case. I informed him I'll even drop it off to save him some money on the pickup costs, waiting on the return label now so I can hopefully drop it off before I leave for vacation.

As far as getting a full replacement, he doesn't seem to want to do it for whatever reason. I asked if there would be any issue with me re-ordering in the next batch after I get refunded, but he doesn't seem to want to answer me on this, so I'm guessing any new order from me isn't welcome. He also said in the e-mail:

I'm honestly tired of this, I just want my money back and be done with it at this point. I feel like I shouldn't have had to do all this back and forth, it's just a waste of everyone's time and makes his company look bad and maybe even me, imo. I know some think it's acceptable scratches, while others don't, everyone is different and entitled to their opinion on it.

I'm sorry I've detracted from your guys updates and attention from Alex, I realize it's more important to focus on the group than one guy complaining about his issues, but I also felt it was important to share with the community. Hopefully this whole ordeal will prevent someone going through a similar experience and Alex changes his stance for future issues that may arise. I hope you guys all get perfect cases and don't have to go through anything similar as me. I won't be posting here anymore, unless Alex doesn't follow through with his offer. I'll still follow the project, as it's my favorite design of all time when it comes to SFF cases.

And I'm not discouraging anyone from buying, despite a private message I've received from a prominent poster to try and sabotage Alex and any future issues he might run into with defective cases, but that's not in my character. I'd never want to do that to anyone. I'm a kind person at heart and just wanted what I thought would be fair for me in my situation and even offered to help pay the shipping back to him if I got a replacement. I wish his company the best and it's unfortunate it played out like this, but I still think the quality and design of the case are the best on the market, I think I just got an unlucky draw of cards.

Best of luck everyone.

Screw it, you know what...you are a kind person and after re-reading previous conversations it just kills me that you don't have a beautiful case. So we'll send you another one in the next batch, you've changed me!

Last edited:

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
All right, now that the case has been settled, I'm going to mention something no one has pointed out. First, I am grateful to SMALLFX. He created an important opportunity to prevent the damage from growing.

I would like to make some suggestions to resolve the deadlock. It is to film a video before opening the box.

I have experience as a team leader in charge of manufacturing QC.
In my experience, the most difficult thing in the conflict between producers and consumers is to identify where the defect occurred.

Without clear evidence, this problem becomes difficult to solve. Photographs are not enough.

As you know, SMALLFX and ALEX have not lied or exaggerated the situation.

It is technically reasonable for internal finishing defects to be allowed in the manufacturing process, and it is also reasonable for consumers to demand compensation for defects.

I don't think this should be allowed because this case was flawed outside.

But I think it was a very difficult situation for ALEX to ask for additional evidence for the defect.

The problem is that just taking pictures is not enough to prove that this defect occurred in the factory.

I'm not saying SMALLFX lied.

Think about this. The solution provided by ALEX to SMALLFX cannot be applied to everyone.

There is a limit to their funding.

We can help Alex if we film a video before opening the box.

If we provide clear evidence to prove it was a factory mistake, it will be easier for him to solve the problem.

Everyone will agree that the factory will not admit the mistake just by photography.

I thought that this fact should not be overlooked in the issue of defects.

But pointing this out would have exacerbated the situation.

That's why I'm talking now.

It is difficult for a seller to ask for a video.

Because this is a very cumbersome request.

I suggest that BACKERS voluntarily film videos to help Alex.

Not everyone needs to upload.

Just try to take a video to celebrate before opening the gift.

If a defect is found, ask Alex for help. It's simple.

It is very painful to deal with hundreds of issues alone.

He did not say that defects were unexchangeable.

He just needed more time to solve the problem.

In this project, ALEX had never thrown a problem out of the window.

Anyone who has watched the concept of this case since it was first discussed in the forum will know that.

I was very surprised when they re-announced the idea of implementing UNIBODY.

The delivery has not been completed yet.

More problems could arise in the future.

Let's put more faith in them.

-----------------------
This article was written using a translator and had no aggressive intentions.
I apologize if there's anything that feels that way.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Another 80 cases booked for shipping (500 in total thus far) - concluding Stealth and Dark to Canada and Japan. We continue shipping again on Monday.
Is there no reply from UPS in Korea yet?

I know they offered a reasonable delivery fee, but the Korean branch is terrible.

They work like public servant.

They throw all their duties out the window.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I’m very happy that @smallfx and @AlexTzone looks like they will reach a conclusion that will benefit both parties in the long run. Although now there has been a “standard” set, going forward this will be the expectation from others. Although taking a video as @wolfatpno provides a safety net for claiming that the damage happened prior to unboxing, that would not have changed this particular scuffle as I think what was said would have been said nonetheless.

I think that unboxing videos need not be a necessity and you also can’t expect your average joe to have the equipment to capture the defects, a shaky phone camera footage with ISO 128000 in a dark room is not going to do anybody any good, apart from inducing a headache. But I think if @wolfatpno is concerned, probably getting the footage together is a good idea.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I’m very happy that @smallfx and @AlexTzone looks like they will reach a conclusion that will benefit both parties in the long run. Although now there has been a “standard” set, going forward this will be the expectation from others. Although taking a video as @wolfatpno provides a safety net for claiming that the damage happened prior to unboxing, that would not have changed this particular scuffle as I think what was said would have been said nonetheless.

I think that unboxing videos need not be a necessity and you also can’t expect your average joe to have the equipment to capture the defects, a shaky phone camera footage with ISO 128000 in a dark room is not going to do anybody any good, apart from inducing a headache. But I think if @wolfatpno is concerned, probably getting the footage together is a good idea.
This is important.

An unidentifiable video will escalate the debate.

We need a bright filming environment as much as possible.
If enough brightness is provided, cell phone cameras can help a lot.'

Thank you.

Filming is definitely better than not filming a video.

I wrote 'help Alex', but not only that, but also securing useful evidence is helpful for the individual.

Last edited:

TerryUSA

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2021
Received my case today!

I don't plan on making a build this weekend as I am waiting on parts but I did want to open it and check it for damage. The sooner after receiving it the better and less chance I would be blamed for causing it. I do wish I had done an unboxing video as suggested here but didn't see that suggestion until went to make this post.

The box was pretty banged up when I found it on my porch, but the protective foam did its job.

I could hear little bits rolling around inside when I picked it up and they turned out to be a couple of the plastic core corner pieces.

However, I am still missing two. I opened the box on a large table and nothing fell out of the box. There were three missing corners on the front side and one missing on the back side but only two loose ones in the box and core.

The side panels are very closely matched but the top panel almost looks like it came from a different run.

The inside of the case has about 8 decent marks, most of them are from the core banging and shaking against it without the corner pieces. However, a couple shown below obviously came from the factory in that state.

Overall I am excited to finally have the case, but I will need some replacement corners pieces and the top panel color is a bit disappointing. I could always use the screened panel but that doesn't look as nice and might impact thermals, IDK. I am glad the sides look good though as that's at eye level and what I will see most of the time.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Received my case today!

I don't plan on making a build this weekend as I am waiting on parts but I did want to open it and check it for damage. The sooner after receiving it the better and less chance I would be blamed for causing it. I do wish I had done an unboxing video as suggested here but didn't see that suggestion until went to make this post.

The box was pretty banged up when I found it on my porch, but the protective foam did its job.

I could hear little bits rolling around inside when I picked it up and they turned out to be a couple of the plastic core corner pieces.

However, I am still missing two. I opened the box on a large table and nothing fell out of the box. There were three missing corners on the front side and one missing on the back side but only two loose ones in the box and core.

The side panels are very closely matched but the top panel almost looks like it came from a different run.

The inside of the case has about 8 decent marks, most of them are from the core banging and shaking against it without the corner pieces. However, a couple shown below obviously came from the factory in that state.

Overall I am excited to finally have the case, but I will need some replacement corners pieces and the top panel color is a bit disappointing. I could always use the screened panel but that doesn't look as nice and might impact thermals, IDK. I am glad the sides look good though as that's at eye level and what I will see most of the time.
I think the problem is so obvious that we don't need a video. The color is totally different.