• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
So @AlexTzone your booster cell is really cool, but for my use case I need more cooling power... so I built my own "booster cell" of sorts for when I get my Mjolnir. Complete with a custom cut and finished piece of granite on top, only the best will do for Mjolnir!! It's gonna have its own dc-lt 2600 pump and quick release fittings that will hook up to a set of quick release on my Mjolnir. There will also be another dc-lt 2600 pump and 240mm radiator inside my Mjolnir case to allow the system to be un-coupled from the external stand and run by itself off its own internal loop. Gonna hook up the pump and run the tubes tomorrow for a trial run with my current set up!

How am I going to fit a loop with 3x 240mm radiators in Mjolnir?
boo! external radiator does not count as "in" Mjolnir

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
boo! external radiator does not count as "in" Mjolnir
Lol well eventually I will be able to get them actually inside the case, im buying extra panels next week when Alex does the next round of pre orders, so that I don't have to modify my originals. Im going to have to cut the aluminum side panels to fit the radiators and will probably mess up and need at least one panel to practice on haha. So yeah I guess I'm using cheat codes for now with the external radiators lol 😆

• Love
Reactions: AlexTzone

Notional

Trash Compacter
Sep 5, 2019
That’s an incredible amount of work. I can imagine it’s exhausting.

Now...is it too early for us to talk about an Mjolner XL version with support for a 240mm top mount AIO and 3 Slot GPUs? 😁😝
I'm glad my idea is spreading!

I think they should make the spine like the FormD, where you can choose whether the Motherboard section gets more space for CPU air cooler and GPU watercooler, or more space for GPU air cooler and CPU watercooler. That gives all the flexibility. Of course with the taller size for a 24cm CLC and full size fans for high performance and low noise. CLC should of course be on top for exhaust.

Reactions: AlexTzone

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I must say that I'm a little bit unhappy that even now there are no official (or unofficial?) stats on the effectiveness of the booster cell.

If you're getting it purely for how it looks, I guess you're in the safe boat where its looking good. But if you're getting it to improve cooling or decrease noise (maybe most peoples expectation?) you're really stabbing in the dark whether this thing actually functions as intended. As Alex says, the effects are "subtle", which I don't think is a good sign, and I've always had my minor doubt whether a fan blowing in/out on the side of the GPU/PSU area is actually going to achieve much apart from adding fan noise.

If I had to hedge my bets, I think not knowing how well it performs is going to be beneficial for the sales of the booster cell and that doesn't make me feel so good about this potentially strategic move. If some people who already have their cases can do the testing with noise normalized thermals, that would be greatly valuable.

Reactions: Shinken1

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
I must say that I'm a little bit unhappy that even now there are no official (or unofficial?) stats on the effectiveness of the booster cell.

If you're getting it purely for how it looks, I guess you're in the safe boat where its looking good. But if you're getting it to improve cooling or decrease noise (maybe most peoples expectation?) you're really stabbing in the dark whether this thing actually functions as intended. As Alex says, the effects are "subtle", which I don't think is a good sign, and I've always had my minor doubt whether a fan blowing in/out on the side of the GPU/PSU area is actually going to achieve much apart from adding fan noise.

If I had to hedge my bets, I think not knowing how well it performs is going to be beneficial for the sales of the booster cell and that doesn't make me feel so good about this potentially strategic move. If some people who already have their cases can do the testing with noise normalized thermals, that would be greatly valuable.
so i asked @AlexTzone about "what if we bought it as Mjolnir S" how do we use the booster - he has suggested to use it for exhaust.

Since booster cell was a late addition, only time will tell. IMO the idea of HD vs extra fan....sounds good for exhaust and air circulation which is what I will be doing.

TBD.....but hey maybe thorzone can do their own benchmark as previously done and show a possible configuration spec and some stats.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
so i asked @AlexTzone about "what if we bought it as Mjolnir S" how do we use the booster - he has suggested to use it for exhaust.

Since booster cell was a late addition, only time will tell. IMO the idea of HD vs extra fan....sounds good for exhaust and air circulation which is what I will be doing.

TBD.....but hey maybe thorzone can do their own benchmark as previously done and show a possible configuration spec and some stats.
I think they should, but they're likely to only publish them if they show what they want. And of course the "order now, or you might not have a next time chance!" kind of approach is not what I like to hear. Given that they seemingly have "pre-orders" going on indefinitely (as opposed to ever transitioning to "retail" or flat out "stopping"), I think it would be very wise to wait before ordering the booster cell as I do not think it's going to improve noise normalized thermals in a meaningful way.

I think its okay to be optimistic about how its going to perform, that's the only stance you can take if you already ordered one. But if you haven't ordered one, as with anything, one should wait for proper numbers (ideally unbiased, but at this point any would be fine) before putting down your money on something that is expected to make a difference.

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
I think they should, but they're likely to only publish them if they show what they want. And of course the "order now, or you might not have a next time chance!" kind of approach is not what I like to hear. Given that they seemingly have "pre-orders" going on indefinitely (as opposed to ever transitioning to "retail" or flat out "stopping"), I think it would be very wise to wait before ordering the booster cell as I do not think it's going to improve noise normalized thermals in a meaningful way.

I think its okay to be optimistic about how its going to perform, that's the only stance you can take if you already ordered one. But if you haven't ordered one, as with anything, one should wait for proper numbers (ideally unbiased, but at this point any would be fine) before putting down your money on something that is expected to make a difference.
agreed.
I bought it out of convenience, but now with the fact to get the lightshow i would need the godrays....meh...should have read the fine print. Oh well.
Im 100% those who bite the bullet will be reviewing it on their own and from there it becomes an unbias result.

• Wow
Reactions: Shinken1

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020

I wanted to get one, but didn't like the styling of it. The stock front is just so much better looking, in my opinion. For my setup, I'm hopefully not going to need any extra cooling (3600/2070 super). I think I'd be a bit more worried if I had some more power hungry parts, though.

As far as how effective it's going to be, I think it should do well. I currently have the TJ08B-E and it has a very similar setup for the front intake as the booster cell. I can tell you on my case it works extremely well, to the point it's the only case fan I have and it runs at around 800-900rpm. But on the flipside, there are so many more variables that can throw off cooling, like case pressure, direction of the air flow, etc - so nobody will know for sure until testing is done.

I will agree, in the sense that I wish we had more information to make better informed buying decisions. As much as I disliked the Ghost QC, they nailed it when it came to the PDFs they put out before the case even released. They had breakdowns with temp charts of the best CPU coolers, cpu fan vs water, case fan setups, etc. It was really nice having all that information before you even got the case. Removes a lot of the guesswork and had you prepared for the build the day the case landed. I'm hoping we get something similar from Alex, even if it does come later.

Reactions: Jakyrian

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I wanted to get one, but didn't like the styling of it. The stock front is just so much better looking, in my opinion. For my setup, I'm hopefully not going to need any extra cooling (3600/2070 super). I think I'd be a bit more worried if I had some more power hungry parts, though.

As far as how effective it's going to be, I think it should do well. I currently have the TJ08B-E and it has a very similar setup for the front intake as the booster cell. I can tell you on my case it works extremely well, to the point it's the only case fan I have and it runs at around 800-900rpm. But on the flipside, there are so many more variables that can throw off cooling, like case pressure, direction of the air flow, etc - so nobody will know for sure until testing is done.

I will agree, in the sense that I wish we had more information to make better informed buying decisions. As much as I disliked the Ghost QC, they nailed it when it came to the PDFs they put out before the case even released. They had breakdowns with temp charts of the best CPU coolers, cpu fan vs water, case fan setups, etc. It was really nice having all that information before you even got the case. Removes a lot of the guesswork and had you prepared for the build the day the case landed. I'm hoping we get something similar from Alex, even if it does come later.
This is not a good comparison, the TJ08B-E has nothing obstructing the front fan mount, In mjolnir, not only is there a tight frame behind the fan, all holes are blocked by a solid wall in very close promixity (the GPU side, or the PSU side wall). So the fan is going to be drawing air from whatever crack it can find and will struggle, as well as make more noise than it needs to.

Just like how you cannot put a tempered glass side panel right infront of fans and expect it to do anything, you also cannot put a fan up against a solid wall and expect it to be able to exhaust air out in a meaningful way.

Last edited:
Reactions: smallfx

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

Hope this shows a much clearer view of what the Booster Cell fan looks like from inside. Also I must point out, my Booster was installed after I’ve already “cable-managed”, so one side (PSU side) is heavily blocked by my cable routing (the 2cm space between the Booster Cell fan and the PSU wall). I think it can be utilized a lot better if you plan to use if from the start.

@For_Science I’m a bit sad to hear that you’d think I wouldn’t share the results regardless of what they are, I’ve always been up front with you guys. The only reason we haven’t done full thermals testing w. Booster is because MJOLNIR has taken ALL our time atm. But once we’ve got a bit more time we’ll run full testing on it.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@For_Science I’m a bit sad to hear that you’d think I wouldn’t share the results regardless of what they are, I’ve always been up front with you guys. The only reason we haven’t done full thermals testing w. Booster is because MJOLNIR has taken ALL our time atm. But once we’ve got a bit more time we’ll run full testing on it.
I think the cable management is probably realistic of how its going to be for the majority of users who use an AIO, there isn't much more you can do to get the cables out of the way. I mean, I appreciate that the on-going MJOLNIR is taking up a lot of your time, but it also is true that you are spending time setting up websites and systems for additional orders for a new batch of pre-orders (yes yes, I know its the same batch as batch2) and for accessories for current users, and the fact that this has taken priority over clarifying whether these accessories work is to me a reflection of policy of "Getting more orders in is more important than working out if the parts are actually functional or not". This in addition to the fact that the stance has always been "You should order while you can, because we might not do another run" is quite threatening for those that just want to know in advance whether the booster cell is actually going to do its job or not.

I mean being afraid of press that would negatively affect orders is a normal process right? Just like how we discussed in the past whether to send Ali another copy or not. So I would think while it may not be conscious effort to delay the testing of booster cell, the fact that you haven't done the testing already to me is a reflection of you thinking it is not worth the investment of your time to do it. i.e. the time spent doing the testing for the booster cell isn't going to produce a good return on the order quantities.

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020
This is not a good comparison, the TJ08B-E has nothing obstructing the front fan mount, In mjolnir, not only is there a tight frame behind the fan, all holes are blocked by a solid wall in very close promixity (the GPU side, or the PSU side wall). So the fan is going to be drawing air from whatever crack it can find and will struggle, as well as make more noise than it needs to.

Just like how you cannot put a tempered glass side panel right infront of fans and expect it to do anything, you also cannot put a fan up against a solid wall and expect it to be able to exhaust air out in a meaningful way.

It actually has an HD cage directly behind blocking some of the fan on the TJ08B-E, especially if you fill it up with hard drives, but nothing like you've shown. Had no idea there was another plate directly behind the booster. Seeing that now, I'm not too optimistic on it doing much.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
So @AlexTzone your booster cell is really cool, but for my use case I need more cooling power... so I built my own "booster cell" of sorts for when I get my Mjolnir. Complete with a custom cut and finished piece of granite on top, only the best will do for Mjolnir!! It's gonna have its own dc-lt 2600 pump and quick release fittings that will hook up to a set of quick release on my Mjolnir. There will also be another dc-lt 2600 pump and 240mm radiator inside my Mjolnir case to allow the system to be un-coupled from the external stand and run by itself off its own internal loop. Gonna hook up the pump and run the tubes tomorrow for a trial run with my current set up!

Wow this looks absolutely incredible!! Also, it's an incredible idea, what are the required parts in a standalone & plug-in-able water cooling system? Definitely interesting to check if we can make something like this at scale :)

xtra lighting only applicable on the R series. S series wont be able to unless you have your own way to hook it up I believe

Basically the Booster PCB plugs directly into one of the LED strips on R. However, the connection is super-simple and I'm going to make a DIY guide as soon as there's a bit more time. All you need is some cables, single-dupont connectors and solder...or in a REAL DIY caveman-style...the good old bite off the cable jacket and twist the cables together.

• Love
Reactions: N9neBreak3r

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Wow this looks absolutely incredible!! Also, it's an incredible idea, what are the required parts in a standalone & plug-in-able water cooling system? Definitely interesting to check if we can make something like this at scale :)
Thanks!! In my iteration I have 2x tx240 radiators with 2x arctic p-12 120mm fans on each rad pulling air in, and then 2x arctic p-12 120mm fans pulling the air out the front, as well as a dc-lt 2600 pump inside an eisstation 40 pump/res housing located at the back between the two radiators, with the tubes going to the PC having quick disconnect fittings from koolance to allow the whole unit to be separated from the case without draining the loop and to allow the case to run off its own internal loop when separated.

If you were to mass produce something like this you'd have to decide if you want to sell it as a complete package or as a DIY kit where the end user supplies their own radiator, pump, reservoir, fittings and tubes. The main key to all this is the quick disconnect fittings.

You even have a starting point for your design with your original plan for the watercooled version of Thor 1 (the eGPU enclosure). Instead of it housing an eGPU, it could house radiators/some type of innovative cooling approach with quick disconnect fittings that allow attachment to a loop inside of a user's PC case. It wouldn't even have to be specific to Mjolnir, if you use standard size quick disconnect fittings, it could be hooked up to ANY PC case and offer extra cooling (especially in an SFF case where space is at a premium). This would open up a larger market of buyers and, as far as I know, be a first of its kind product and bring lots of attention from the tech press for that reason! If you were to design a version that follows Mjolnir's aesthetic style and offer it for sale/pre-order, I'd buy one instantly!!