Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
Has to do with the anodizing process. Its pretty easy to result in a soft anodization when its not tuned properly.
Ok, hope they will fix this in the production version...

@AlexTzone: have you thought about improving the anodization for better durability? You should really test the surface finish before commiting. Try to scratch the surface with a coin or something to ensure it can withstand minor abrasion.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I found some problem.

Watching the video of "Optimum Tech" again, the rail is bent under load.

and this 'randomfrankp'

I have posted a note that I was afraid the rail would bend before.

What do you think about this?

I'm afraid there will be a problem when sliding this part into the Unibody.

Bending under weight can cause friction with the unibody.

It is suggested that the left and right rails be connected to the bridge in the form of H.
Then make a vertical bar in the center of it, and attach it to the back of the main board bolts that are connected to the spine.

And I would like to propose that the rails be molded into a simple 'c' structure to gain more stiffness.

(On the link above, there is a picture that is so made.)

It turns out that the 240mm AIO is useless (Alex posted the data).

Therefore, there will be no problem with adding a pillar that supports the rail to the center.

Last edited:

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
Agree with Wolfatpno. I think reinforcing the rails would create a more stable and ultimately more premium feeling product. Goatee was doing some interesting testing with oddball fan configurations and I love that they did, but that sort of niche solution doesn't justify compromising the final design. You can hear the awful scraping in Ali's video. No one wants their $300 case to be making those sounds even if any resultant scratches wouldn't be visible. I brought this up before, but doing so also has the benefit of allowing the mobo to move down just a couple mm (~2mm) to give the riser cable just a bit more breathing room which was another of Ali's criticisms. I think if Mjolnir supported a full 240mm Rad with fans I would feel differently, but as it stands nixing the 1 fan, 240mm rad support would allow for 2 pretty solid QOL improvements and seems a fair trade.

On the other side of the fence, while I believe Ali probably did a better job than most managing cables, a lot of that stress pushing the rails outwards could be relieved by using a custom length cable set.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I have a question about how to fix the graphics card.
The case "velka 3" is made of a gpu bracket with no bolts.
How about mjolnir modify it the same way?

It would be uncomfortable to release the riser card and the front of the core.

However, I think we can expect more minimal and solid fixation.

What do you think, guys?

Reactions: AlexTzone

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Some things I've noticed/comments after Frank's video:

- I know it's obviously one of the prototype cases, but the ease at which his model seemed to scratch or chip is somewhat concerning. Will the finish be "thicker" or "deeper" for the production model, or will there be some sort of clear coat to prevent that?

EDIT: I was correct, the actual finish will be better.

- I know there will be bushings on the front of the core that slides in, but do you think it's necessary for there to be any on the back panel's edges to keep it looking fresh as it guides in as well?

EDIT: I found the answer to this, and the answer was yes, there will be insert guide bushings.

- The motherboard I/O doesn't seem too recessed from the surface of the back panel. Meaning things like WiFi antenna connectors may be extended out further, so it doesn't sit flat on the back side. Has any consideration for some sort of handle (whether two small ones or make one tubular one) been considered to aid in both sliding in, and removing the core? If the handle are easily removable and not necessary it argueably doesn't change the 9.7L of volume.

EDIT: This wouldn't be entirely necessary, but more of a convenience thing.
Yeah, was wondering that too. How come the surface scratches so easily?? Wasn't expecting this.
Has to do with the anodizing process. Its pretty easy to result in a soft anodization when its not tuned properly.
Ok, hope they will fix this in the production version...

@AlexTzone: have you thought about improving the anodization for better durability? You should really test the surface finish before commiting. Try to scratch the surface with a coin or something to ensure it can withstand minor abrasion.

I've shared some info on this in a KS-update, here's a copy & paste: "These aren't really scratches, but particles from surfaces (table, skin, etc) that rub off onto the anodized surface. A wet cloth easily removes them. BUT, anodizing on the production units will be completely different. It will be very smooth and resistant to all those things." Anodizing and finish on the prototype is not indicative of the final product at all. I posted some info of how the final anodizing will be: even, smooth and smudge-resistant ? @keepcoding absolutely, this is part of the plan when we visit the factories ?

@Sazexa We had a prototype with a recessed (5mm) back panel, but it didn't look as good or premium (things like cables / wifi antennas still stick out but not as much). When removing the Shell, I highly recommend doing it the same way you do with a Mac Pro: pull the Shell up and off the Core. See here:

@AlexTzone I've been working on planning my build for when the case comes in. Would you be able to give estimates for custom cable lengths? I want it to look as clean as possible. This is the planned build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VcsFXv

I don't have those numbers yet and it's probably best to send the finished product to a good modder so that they can measure & try it out. I've never done custom cables in MJOLNIR before so I may miss-guide you ?

I found some problem.

Watching the video of "Optimum Tech" again, the rail is bent under load.

and this 'randomfrankp'

I have posted a note that I was afraid the rail would bend before.

What do you think about this?

I'm afraid there will be a problem when sliding this part into the Unibody.

Bending under weight can cause friction with the unibody.

It is suggested that the left and right rails be connected to the bridge in the form of H.
Then make a vertical bar in the center of it, and attach it to the back of the main board bolts that are connected to the spine.

And I would like to propose that the rails be molded into a simple 'c' structure to gain more stiffness.

(On the link above, there is a picture that is so made.)

It turns out that the 240mm AIO is useless (Alex posted the data).

Therefore, there will be no problem with adding a pillar that supports the rail to the center.

The rails will bow out if there is a lot of pressure one them, this happened to me when I maxed out MJOLNIR (AIO, etc) and didn't manage cables correctly. Since everything is so tightly packed there's no room to do H-shaped rails unfortunately. Custom cables will definitely help A LOT ? The bottom rails can bow out 2mm without causing friction to the Shell. Still, once the Core is inserted into the Shell you'll never see anything strange...this is certainly better than cases where the outside panels bow out.

I have a question about how to fix the graphics card.
The case "velka 3" is made of a gpu bracket with no bolts.
How about mjolnir modify it the same way?

It would be uncomfortable to release the riser card and the front of the core.

However, I think we can expect more minimal and solid fixation.

What do you think, guys?

Yeah so the current problem with the prototypes is that the GPU opening is too small (issue has been fixed in the production models), and in order to install the GPU + GPU bracket you have to release the riser card, insert the GPU and then screw in the riser again. This is quite tedious and uncomfortable, so I don't think its worth it compared to a good solid GPU bracket ?

@AlexTzone how is the timeline looking for shipping in may 2020? Do you have a revised set of shipping dates?

It's hard to get a good understanding of how the timeline has changed before we get some clear answers from the factories. Right now, the information is all over the place (some say they will return in March, some say the they will start today but at lower capacity, when can we travel to Shenzhen without too much virus-related hassle? etc, etc...). Right now we're basically doing some minor optimizations to the model and tightening up tolerances here and there where it's possible. Also, we're reworking some panels to better fit with the upcoming Booster Cell (nothing technically major, just better airflow for a frontal fan).

So in straight English, I'm unfortunately rather certain that May 2020 shipping will not meet due to the virus outbreak. As soon as I get a better picture of how much production has been delayed I'll let you guys know straight away.

It's even hard to get low quantity prototype sample right now...pretty insane how much a rather "mild" virus can cause economic havoc when placed in the "production-capital" of the world ?

Last edited:

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
The rails will bow out if there is a lot of pressure one them, this happened to me when I maxed out MJOLNIR (AIO, etc) and didn't manage cables correctly. Since everything is so tightly packed there's no room to do H-shaped rails unfortunately. Custom cables will definitely help A LOT ? The bottom rails can bow out 2mm without causing friction to the Shell. Still, once the Core is inserted into the Shell you'll never see anything strange...this is certainly better than cases where the outside panels bow out.
Those plastic bits on the corners that allow Mjolnir to slide smoothly. Is it possible to stick a small piece on the center point of each rail? Then even if the cables push the rails out you can still kind-of squeeze them back in as you're inserting the core and once it's halfway inserted it will glide on the plastic pieces without scraping. Maybe I'm over complicating something that doesn't need to be. It's just a thought. I'll definitely be making custom cabling personally.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018

I just imagined a stronger structure.

It is fortunate that there is a margin of 2 mm for friction, but that is not the only reason.

It was a little uncomfortable to see the bending rails in the video of randomfrankp.

BTW : As always, I will support your final decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakyrian

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
If you out a brace below the PCB adapter for the GPU/"above" the motherboard, you'll block fitment for 120mm fans.

If you're saying there's not enough 'bolt' space, we can use REDUCER.

There is plenty of room for 120mm fans.

Similar methods are used for 92mm prototypes.

There is sufficient space between the fan and the fan to apply the support.

It's up to Alex to decide about the cost and aesthetics.

But it's possible.

If Alex does not make it this time, I will apply it to my project.

Last edited:

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
I'm working out how to create custom cables for the Mjolnir ATM. Is it possible to get the following two measurements? It would really help me plan this out.

Red: The total distance between the PSU and the bottom rail.
Orange: The distance between the PSU and the side panel.

Bonus question: Outside diameter of AIO tube?

Double points: With inverted PSU, mm between the PSU and top rail?

Thank you for answering any of these!

Last edited:

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I'm working out how to create custom cables for the Mjolnir ATM. Is it possible to get the following two measurements? It would really help me plan this out.

Red: The total distance between the PSU and the bottom rail.
Orange: The distance between the PSU and the side panel.

Bonus question: Outside diameter of AIO tube?

Double points: With inverted PSU, mm between the PSU and top rail?

Thank you for answering any of these!

Sure thing! Red is is 78mm and the tube OD is 11mm :)
Double points: w. inverted PSU the distance between it and the top rails is between 17-27 mm (depending on how you level the PSU).

Note: the top rails are outside the connectors for the PSU, so the distance of an inverted PSU to the top of the Core is 19-29mm.

Btw the coronavirus seems to be significantly slowing down in China now!! Finally :)

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
Thanks so much for answering!

Dang, I guess I was being a bit too optimistic. I have a pretty novel idea, but it requires 18mm of uncontested space below the PSU. I'll probably do it anyways with a 15mm fan because I think it'll look incredible and who knows, maybe less cable clutter butted against the fan will even out the performance hit. I'd describe the idea, but I don't really know it'll work until I make it. Parts have been ordered. If only mainframecustoms would ship them.

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Someone already working on cloning it.....
-_-

EDIT: Out of interest in avoiding a debate over the ethicality of cloning, let's not drown this thread in clone-related posts.
No one copied it.

It's the same company that Torzon commissioned to produce.

Ordering and selling in backdoor. The delivery date is also placed ahead of Torzon.

As you know, magnetic addition and increased ventilation are recent updates.

All the changes are being made in real time.

It even released both versions of separate body and unibody.

Notional

Trash Compacter
Sep 5, 2019
This is why you don't manufacture in China anymore. Also why I hate the steck.

Alsy who does the ripoff case have recycle logo and no throwing in trash logo? It's like they don't even know what these things are for.