• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Does anyone know if the new EK 120mm AIO would fit inside the Mjolnir? Really interested to see how it compares to the H60 V2 if so. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-120-d-rgb

Most likely it will fit, the only thing that's strange is their dimensions for the pump. It looks like they're measured from the bottom of the mounting screws rather than the CPU contact-plate.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
That EK kit looks mighty pretty. I was planning on staying exclusively air cooled, but, if that cooler works well and fits without too much hassle, that might change lol

• Love
Reactions: AlexTzone

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone since we're just waiting for things to calm down over the virus, lets talk about manufacturing!. I assume that when you extrude out the core, this then has to be machined so that the holes for the side and top panels can exist. Is it so that then these pieces of aluminium you cut out are then actually used for the performance panels themselves?

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
@AlexTzone since we're just waiting for things to calm down over the virus, lets talk about manufacturing!. I assume that when you extrude out the core, this then has to be machined so that the holes for the side and top panels can exist. Is it so that then these pieces of aluminium you cut out are then actually used for the performance panels themselves?

That's also what I was envisioning. I imagine the core is extruded. Top, bottom, and sides are then laser cut. The panels removed from the cut are then themselves probably laser cut and trimmed, then machined. I imagine the front panel of the case whether it's the booster cell or regular front panel is machined?

I'm interested in some of the finer details. When do the magnets for panels get added/how are they added? Are they screwed in from the back/inside of the case, or adhered/pressure fitted to the panel.

Do you guys have a projected date of cases that won't pass QC? Who will be ensuring quality and fitment before shipping? All that sort of stuff.

Sorry, not meaning to put too much pressure on you Alex, just genuinely curious. ? I enjoy this type of stuff.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Although I'm not sure if the side panel cut can be big enough to be a side panel, since by design you shave away some of the core to make space for the magnet mount, meaning that the panel itself has to be larger than the cutout.....

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

Although I'm not sure if the side panel cut can be big enough to be a side panel, since by design you shave away some of the core to make space for the magnet mount, meaning that the panel itself has to be larger than the cutout.....

As you point out in your second comment, the cutouts on the core are smaller than the panels. Otherwise this would be an epic solution, since there would be no differences in alloys = perfect anodizing. Speak of anodizing, we've discussed how to go about core & panel color-matching with a bunch of anno-firms now, it seems like extruding both the core and the panels is the safest bet. Then finishing all the details with CNC (cutouts, etc). So we would end up with 2 profiles; a hollow profile for the core and a big flat sheet profile for the side panels, top panel and the 02 panel. Tooling costs for the flat profile is relatively in-expensive so it won't affect anything.

That's also what I was envisioning. I imagine the core is extruded. Top, bottom, and sides are then laser cut. The panels removed from the cut are then themselves probably laser cut and trimmed, then machined. I imagine the front panel of the case whether it's the booster cell or regular front panel is machined?

I'm interested in some of the finer details. When do the magnets for panels get added/how are they added? Are they screwed in from the back/inside of the case, or adhered/pressure fitted to the panel.

Do you guys have a projected date of cases that won't pass QC? Who will be ensuring quality and fitment before shipping? All that sort of stuff.

Sorry, not meaning to put too much pressure on you Alex, just genuinely curious. ? I enjoy this type of stuff.

Yeah the front is always machined, both in the standard front panel and the booster cell :)

The magnets are too small to be screwed in, so we'll use adhesive to attach them (both on the core and the panels themselves). Also, it's best to avoid any press fits or the like since neodymium magnets are very fragile.

For OQ, the optimal thing would be to hire a QC firm that does the inspection for us. Going there and checking everything ourselves is not a good long-term solution ? However, it has to be a firm we can truly trust before I would even consider giving such an important task to somebody else. Most likely, we'll let them do it first, then verify ourselves to see how trustworthy/precise they are.

Ask away friend! ?

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I also wonder how to cut. Can you show us how it's processed after being extruded?

I have a personal opinion(?)
There are only cores, not replacement panels, and it would be fun to process only ventilation holes.

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
As you point out in your second comment, the cutouts on the core are smaller than the panels. Otherwise this would be an epic solution, since there would be no differences in alloys = perfect anodizing. Speak of anodizing, we've discussed how to go about core & panel color-matching with a bunch of anno-firms now, it seems like extruding both the core and the panels is the safest bet. Then finishing all the details with CNC (cutouts, etc). So we would end up with 2 profiles; a hollow profile for the core and a big flat sheet profile for the side panels, top panel and the 02 panel. Tooling costs for the flat profile is relatively in-expensive so it won't affect anything.

So are there multiple potential manufacturers that can do this extrusion? In the case that you find the finish from the extrusion to be not on-par with the CNCed panels are there alternative options to see if somebody else can do the same?

I know you mentioned they OEM for a certain big company (I somehow remember something that looked like a QNAP NAS) but just asking "what if".

Or is the fallback position to return back to non-unibody.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
@AlexTzone

Any updates on the booster cell availability?

Not yet, hard to get in touch with anybody in China now due to the outbreak & holiday ?

I also wonder how to cut. Can you show us how it's processed after being extruded?

I have a personal opinion(?)
There are only cores, not replacement panels, and it would be fun to process only ventilation holes.

That is cool but eliminates any possibility of changing the panels, etc ?

So are there multiple potential manufacturers that can do this extrusion? In the case that you find the finish from the extrusion to be not on-par with the CNCed panels are there alternative options to see if somebody else can do the same?

I know you mentioned they OEM for a certain big company (I somehow remember something that looked like a QNAP NAS) but just asking "what if".

Or is the fallback position to return back to non-unibody.

Yeah, more than a dozen potential ones that we've found & talked to thus far. Surface quality & anodizing will be great as long as both the Shell and the panels are made out of the same batch. All holes and cutouts will be CNCd / laser cut.

I didn't quite get your second question, can you explain what you mean by "what if"? :)

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Not yet, hard to get in touch with anybody in China now due to the outbreak & holiday ?

That is cool but eliminates any possibility of changing the panels, etc ?

Yeah, more than a dozen potential ones that we've found & talked to thus far. Surface quality & anodizing will be great as long as both the Shell and the panels are made out of the same batch. All holes and cutouts will be CNCd / laser cut.

I didn't quite get your second question, can you explain what you mean by "what if"? :)
You already answered it, it was a "although they OEM for a big company, what if the quality of the surface finish was not on par with your expectations"

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
You already answered it, it was a "although they OEM for a big company, what if the quality of the surface finish was not on par with your expectations"

I definitely agree, words don't go a long way in this. I want to see the production line, equipment and real samples first hand before committing to anything this important. However, the "big company" factory was different from many others that we've talked to; mainly, they really went to the bottom of what we ment by "high quality surface finish", the anodizing process and potential things to look out for. This is certainly a lot better than factories that just say "sure mate we can do it", so I really look forward to meet them in person and find out more.

Reactions: For_Science

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Jan 3, 2020
He suggested we get the case in march or april .... sounds optimistic also. I presume Alex is not only looking at the risk of visiting China at this moment but probably also has a hard time to find a reasonable prissed flight towards Shenzhen. If he delays his trip and I get my Mjolnir at the end of june I won't blame him.

But nice video. I'm opting for an all air-cooled AMD system also. Just find the most use full motherboard for a 7 3700x that will fit with an Alpenföhn BlackRidge is my first goal.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com

I wonder what the case he mentions at 1:30 which is under embargo until next week ?
3950X ( :
Noctua L9a O:
TG Panels D:<
Yeah, Frank P. doesn't really evaluate thermals and mostly just focuses on aesthetics. No way that the 3950x isn't locked at 2ghz in that configuration.
He suggested we get the case in march or april .... sounds optimistic also. I presume Alex is not only looking at the risk of visiting China at this moment but probably also has a hard time to find a reasonable prissed flight towards Shenzhen. If he delays his trip and I get my Mjolnir at the end of june I won't blame him.

But nice video. I'm opting for an all air-cooled AMD system also. Just find the most use full motherboard for a 7 3700x that will fit with an Alpenföhn BlackRidge is my first goal.

Franks video is a nice service to everyone who wants to see how RGB + TG panels look IRL, I'm quite sure the 3950X went straight into his main rig after that video. More serious review (with liquid cooling) will be out once we send him the actual production model, since a lot of significant details have been improved (he explained this at the end). Ali from OptimumTech is an absolute god when it comes to reviewing specs and performance, but I'd also like somebody that really focuses on the aesthetics (a huge part of MJOLNIR). It would get boring if everyone just did the same review over and over again.

I'm very interested to see if the factories will go back to operations on Monday (end of CNY), it's a good indicator of how things are developing over there and how fast we can start moving! ? We have 79.861 parts to make (40.674 of them being screws and packaging)!

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020
Some things I've noticed/comments after Frank's video:

- I know it's obviously one of the prototype cases, but the ease at which his model seemed to scratch or chip is somewhat concerning. Will the finish be "thicker" or "deeper" for the production model, or will there be some sort of clear coat to prevent that?

EDIT: I was correct, the actual finish will be better.

- I know there will be bushings on the front of the core that slides in, but do you think it's necessary for there to be any on the back panel's edges to keep it looking fresh as it guides in as well?

EDIT: I found the answer to this, and the answer was yes, there will be insert guide bushings.

- The motherboard I/O doesn't seem too recessed from the surface of the back panel. Meaning things like WiFi antenna connectors may be extended out further, so it doesn't sit flat on the back side. Has any consideration for some sort of handle (whether two small ones or make one tubular one) been considered to aid in both sliding in, and removing the core? If the handle are easily removable and not necessary it argueably doesn't change the 9.7L of volume.

EDIT: This wouldn't be entirely necessary, but more of a convenience thing.

Last edited:

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
Some things I've noticed/comments after Frank's video:

- I know it's obviously one of the prototype cases, but the ease at which his model seemed to scratch or chip is somewhat concerning. Will the finish be "thicker" or "deeper" for the production model, or will there be some sort of clear coat to prevent that?

- I know there will be bushings on the front of the core that slides in, but do you think it's necessary for there to be any on the back panel's edges to keep it looking fresh as it guides in as well?

- The motherboard I/O doesn't seem too recessed from the surface of the back panel. Meaning things like WiFi antenna connectors may be extended out further, so it doesn't sit flat on the back side. Has any consideration for some sort of handle (whether two small ones or make one tubular one) been considered to aid in both sliding in, and removing the core? If the handle are easily removable and not necessary it argueably doesn't change the 9.7L of volume.

Yeah, was wondering that too. How come the surface scratches so easily?? Wasn't expecting this.