• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Everything was run at 60% so the noctua are silent at that. Even when cranking all the noctua’s up to 100%, the 120 is louder than 6x40x10mm’s.

On the AIO, the pump gurgles hence the subjective rating, I’m assuming it’s a ddc 3600 given the RPM, so whenever they are run at higher RPM my experience is they can have a high pitch “scream” which I find irritating.

Reactions: AlexTzone

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I am now working on the 6 * 40x10 flx fans I used are about 35% of a single NF-12 fan in terms of raw performance.

That’s not a great return vs cost.

However, if it was possible to use six noctua 40x20 PWM’s instead (roughly same cost) and they fitted (I don’t know if I have any clearance issues with current 10mm fan set-up) then performance (based on noctua spec sheets) would be closer to 50% of a NF-12.

Aviswa

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
@AlexTzone

Have you had any test/sampling of the dark/apple space gray anodizing/color?

I feel like every single case tries to make that color and fails for whatever reason (cost,QA,inferior sandblasting/not smooth). How confident are you that you'll be able to do it right?

wahahaha (sidearmD creator) also just recently said this:

"It is anodized first then a special proprietary coating. The setup cost is quite high, only one supplier willing to do it.

To make any regular dark grey is slightly more expensive than Black or Silver, but the fingerprint resistance is inferior and feel is also inferior, it’s not as smooth to the touch.

If you ever owned one of the many Apple Space Gray like dongles, a Taobao case, they are not as smooth, the sandblasting not as consistent"

Supercluster

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2016
A slight typo:

@AlexTzone

Never mind, I misunderstood the sentence.

Last edited:

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I am now working on the 6 * 40x10 flx fans I used are about 35% of a single NF-12 fan in terms of raw performance.

That’s not a great return vs cost.

However, if it was possible to use six noctua 40x20 PWM’s instead (roughly same cost) and they fitted (I don’t know if I have any clearance issues with current 10mm fan set-up) then performance (based on noctua spec sheets) would be closer to 50% of a NF-12.

I've measured our model (with hardware) and it looks like you'll be able to squeeze in 3x40mm (25mm thick) fans on the GPU side but none on the CPU side, would be interesting to see how that performs on your 240 rad vs 120 :)

@AlexTzone

Have you had any test/sampling of the dark/apple space gray anodizing/color?

I feel like every single case tries to make that color and fails for whatever reason (cost,QA,inferior sandblasting/not smooth). How confident are you that you'll be able to do it right?

wahahaha (sidearmD creator) also just recently said this:

"It is anodized first then a special proprietary coating. The setup cost is quite high, only one supplier willing to do it.

To make any regular dark grey is slightly more expensive than Black or Silver, but the fingerprint resistance is inferior and feel is also inferior, it’s not as smooth to the touch.

If you ever owned one of the many Apple Space Gray like dongles, a Taobao case, they are not as smooth, the sandblasting not as consistent"

Yeah we had it sampled, check out the pic below. The finish was absolutely flawless; very fine glass bead blasting, finger-print resistant and super smooth. However, the factory that did this (China as well) is a small-scale / rapid-prototyping factory that is waaay to costly (also lacks extrusion capabilities) when making 500+ units, but their samples will be used as gold standards when we make agreements & QC with larger factories. In China it's better to show than tell when describing what you want, so for that purpose these samples are perfect.

This pic was taken with my old phone, so there's a lot of noise. Bead blasting size is similar to what you find on MacBooks.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
I've measured our model (with hardware) and it looks like you'll be able to squeeze in 3x40mm (25mm thick) fans on the GPU side but none on the CPU side, would be interesting to see how that performs on your 240 rad vs 120 :)

That’s interesting thanks @AlexTzone, is the issue on the CPU side RAM clearance?

I hadn’t thought of having different thickness fan combinations, think I might have some thicker 40mm’s somewhere...

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That’s interesting thanks @AlexTzone, is the issue on the CPU side RAM clearance?

I hadn’t thought of having different thickness fan combinations, think I might have some thicker 40mm’s somewhere...

Yes exactly, RAM, cooling tubes and all the cables (CPU, 24pin, etc etc)

ARC1T3CT

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2018
Yeah we had it sampled, check out the pic below. The finish was absolutely flawless; very fine glass bead blasting, finger-print resistant and super smooth. However, the factory that did this (China as well) is a small-scale / rapid-prototyping factory that is waaay to costly (also lacks extrusion capabilities) when making 500+ units, but their samples will be used as gold standards when we make agreements & QC with larger factories. In China it's better to show than tell when describing what you want, so for that purpose these samples are perfect.

This pic was taken with my old phone, so there's a lot of noise. Bead blasting size is similar to what you find on MacBooks.

Just received delivery of my Massdrop ALT which is space gray-ish... Now I'm pondering whether I should switch my mjolnir colour choice from STEALTH to DARK? I just can't decide...

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Alex, I have a few questions.

Is there any progress on the booster?

And when will the prototype for the new design be unveiled?

Are you going to start producing products without making prototypes?

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Alex, I have a few questions.

Is there any progress on the booster?

And when will the prototype for the new design be unveiled?

Are you going to start producing products without making prototypes?

Heey man,

Booster Cell should be ready somewhere around late February / early March.

There will be no prototypes, only actual production samples. This is because aluminium extrusion isn't possible/practical to prototype. The purpose of the samples will be to work out exactly how to anodize the different parts consistently :)

Reactions: wolfatpno

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Heey man,

Booster Cell should be ready somewhere around late February / early March.

There will be no prototypes, only actual production samples. This is because aluminium extrusion isn't possible/practical to prototype. The purpose of the samples will be to work out exactly how to anodize the different parts consistently :)

Are you considering various designs for the Booster Cell's cut-out concept?

There will be many people who are looking forward to it.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone are you guys providing exact internal dimensions so backers can start planning components?
List of compatible dimensions are already available for a long time. Anything outside of these dimensions are not officially supported. Any custom jobs will have to wait for the arrival of the final product since there will also be variations between units due to tolerances.

Scroll down to compatibility

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone
Hi Alex

I hope you are enjoying January. Now that the Kickstarter has finished and that the design seems to be more or less finalized the silence is almost eerie! I look forward to seeing who won the prize draw soon (I was surprised to see that Sweden now allows prize draws, pretty sure it wasn't the case a few years ago!). Hoping that things in the background are working well.

I just thought I'd take the opportunity to summarize the things that happened in the PeakDesign Travel Tripod Kickstarter after funding. There were some notable rocky events that happened and the reaction of the backers were interesting so I thought maybe it may be beneficial for you too.

Generally speaking at least 1 update per month were provided, including photos from the factory, photos of production models which were very encouraging to see as a backer.

3 months after the Kickstarter campaign a major change in the final product was necessary, the carbon fiber tripod was not to be all carbon fiber (the center column needed to be replaced for aluminium). This was a major change that was met with an equal amount of upset and noise. PeakDesign posted 1 update and 1 YouTube video dedicated to the reasoning as to why this change was necessary. However not all people were convinced and PeakDesign did allow
for those people to refund their pledges. This would be equivalent if for example down the line it turns out Unibody would not be possible, and I think it was the right thing to do to allow those unhappy people to get their money back. Now that Mjolnir has a lot of new part and features, it would be really great if you keep this in mind for when and if the time comes.

In December (the initial estimated shipping month) it became apparant that not all tripods would be making it to people in that month. This was met with absolute fury and since December the comments of the Kickstarter has been filled with "Where's my tripod" "Why have some people got it and not me" blah blah blah, it is honestly completely unbearable to read and brings the mental age of photography enthusiasts into question. I'm not sure what could have been done to avoid this except for perhaps when the delay became apparant, instead of saying they will ship by January, for them to estimate much further so that people won't be so pushy now that it is the end of January.

A PeakDesign employee pretty much has to give an update (in the comments section) every 2-3 days as to what percentage of tripods in each country has been dispatched so that the people are somewhat satisfied. In this particular campaign US backers got their tripods first and then now slowly the rest of the world is getting theirs (EU and Canada seems to be getting theirs last).

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
@AlexTzone
Hi Alex

I hope you are enjoying January. Now that the Kickstarter has finished and that the design seems to be more or less finalized the silence is almost eerie! I look forward to seeing who won the prize draw soon (I was surprised to see that Sweden now allows prize draws, pretty sure it wasn't the case a few years ago!). Hoping that things in the background are working well.

I just thought I'd take the opportunity to summarize the things that happened in the PeakDesign Travel Tripod Kickstarter after funding. There were some notable rocky events that happened and the reaction of the backers were interesting so I thought maybe it may be beneficial for you too.

Generally speaking at least 1 update per month were provided, including photos from the factory, photos of production models which were very encouraging to see as a backer.

3 months after the Kickstarter campaign a major change in the final product was necessary, the carbon fiber tripod was not to be all carbon fiber (the center column needed to be replaced for aluminium). This was a major change that was met with an equal amount of upset and noise. PeakDesign posted 1 update and 1 YouTube video dedicated to the reasoning as to why this change was necessary. However not all people were convinced and PeakDesign did allow
for those people to refund their pledges. This would be equivalent if for example down the line it turns out Unibody would not be possible, and I think it was the right thing to do to allow those unhappy people to get their money back. Now that Mjolnir has a lot of new part and features, it would be really great if you keep this in mind for when and if the time comes.

In December (the initial estimated shipping month) it became apparant that not all tripods would be making it to people in that month. This was met with absolute fury and since December the comments of the Kickstarter has been filled with "Where's my tripod" "Why have some people got it and not me" blah blah blah, it is honestly completely unbearable to read and brings the mental age of photography enthusiasts into question. I'm not sure what could have been done to avoid this except for perhaps when the delay became apparant, instead of saying they will ship by January, for them to estimate much further so that people won't be so pushy now that it is the end of January.

A PeakDesign employee pretty much has to give an update (in the comments section) every 2-3 days as to what percentage of tripods in each country has been dispatched so that the people are somewhat satisfied. In this particular campaign US backers got their tripods first and then now slowly the rest of the world is getting theirs (EU and Canada seems to be getting theirs last).

May I remind you that peak design is a bigger company than 1 person. Same problem some had with the ghost s1.

On a personal note, as a person who used to be a professional photographer, I have used peak design products and I can tell you for sure that they aren't as good, stick with manfrotto for your tripods. They might be expensive but they are of the highest quality legs and heads which is why they are in every studio and gear bag I have ever seen.

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
May I remind you that peak design is a bigger company than 1 person. Same problem some had with the ghost s1.

On a personal note, as a person who used to be a professional photographer, I have used peak design products and I can tell you for sure that they aren't as good, stick with manfrotto for your tripods. They might be expensive but they are of the highest quality legs and heads which is why they are in every studio and gear bag I have ever seen.
Yes, but they had 27000+ backers so the ratio is probably about right. Hard to know how you know Peak Design Tripods are not as good as Manfrotto ones since this is their first tripod. I don't think you can extrapolate the quality of one product to another. Anyway, this discussion detracts from this thread so we should leave it at that.

Ovni

Trash Compacter
Jan 3, 2020
Yes, but they had 27000+ backers so the ratio is probably about right. Hard to know how you know Peak Design Tripods are not as good as Manfrotto ones since this is their first tripod. I don't think you can extrapolate the quality of one product to another. Anyway, this discussion detracts from this thread so we should leave it at that.
Yep ... but interesting. Also look at Gitzo with a Wimberley head. Available for tri and monopod.