• RGB Version (No controller) - 319 USD

Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
If you have time, could you test how 1 vs 2 fans affect cooling vs some other 120mm AIO (if you have one) ? Would be interesting to see if the SilverStone conclusion is confirmed again.
I think I have a thin radiator I could use as a comparison.

Let me see what I can do.

Reactions: AlexTzone

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018

Hey Alex.

I'm thinking of building the front panel in a 3D printer. (a thin exhaust like [ Razer Core])

I need some Dimension from Parts.
Can you share that information?

Of course, I'm very excited about your boost options, too!

Last edited:

AndreThe Ghost

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 30, 2019
I've been following this project for a while now and took the plunge and backed the project a few days ago. I am also really excited about the idea of a cell booster to get some more ventilation. I did have a thought about making the cell booster more in line with the design of the case.

So this will be a little tough to explain, but the idea is:

-Take the current front panel and make vents for the air to escape in what would be an unseen area( marked in blue)
-Have the current vents(marked in green) milled so that the shape of the fins is there, but leave material in the back so air cannot go back inside the case.
-Create a mounting plate(marked in purple) that both supports the fans and blocks air from going back in the case, so the fans are exhausting the air between the inside of the case and out via this front panel.

I feel like this could be the best of both worlds, maintaining the beautiful aesthetic of this case and allowing better thermals. Let me know what you think and if my explanation is clear. Sorry for the really sloppy drawing, I just did it on my phone so I could get the idea out there and (fingers crossed) something like this makes it into production.

PaperMoonShine

Efficiency Noob
Dec 14, 2019
I've been following this project for a while now and took the plunge and backed the project a few days ago. I am also really excited about the idea of a cell booster to get some more ventilation. I did have a thought about making the cell booster more in line with the design of the case.

-Take the current front panel and make vents for the air to escape in what would be an unseen area( marked in blue)
-Have the current vents(marked in green) milled so that the shape of the fins is there, but leave material in the back so air cannot go back inside the case.
-Create a mounting plate(marked in purple) that both supports the fans and blocks air from going back in the case, so the fans are exhausting the air between the inside of the case and out via this front panel.

I feel like this could be the best of both worlds, maintaining the beautiful aesthetic of this case and allowing better thermals. Let me know what you think and if my explanation is clear. Sorry for the really sloppy drawing, I just did it on my phone so I could get the idea out there and (fingers crossed) something like this makes it into production.

I love this idea, the biggest thing with this approach is that it doesnt detract from the original design language. I would much prefer a milled front cap with side ventilation with support for two 90mm fans. I would much prefer this rather than the booster cell.

DmanX

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 12, 2019

Brilliant. Cheers.

On mounting plate, I'm assuming that that is for (2) 92mm x 14/15 mm fans?

Also, the area in blue wouldn't need to be cutout slits. They would only need to cut that area away entirely as only the corner ends are needed to join that plate to the case.

AndreThe Ghost

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 30, 2019
I wasn't entirely sure on the dimensions of the front panel, but yes the idea was for (2) 92mm x 15mm fans if that would fit. Also good spot on only the corners mounting, more room to extract hot air with cutting away all but the corners, the only concern would be structural integrity.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
If you have time, could you test how 1 vs 2 fans affect cooling vs some other 120mm AIO (if you have one) ? Would be interesting to see if the SilverStone conclusion is confirmed again.

Got my CPU test set-up ready, the majority of these components are ready for the MJOLNIR when it arrives, parts consist of:
  • i9-9900KF (Relidded with copper heat spreader and liquid metal) - Bios Limited to 95W
  • Aorus Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
  • PLEXTOR PX-256S2G
  • 32gb DDR4 - 3000
  • 1050ti - used for testing due to KF chip
  • HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX
  • 330w Dell power Brick

Watercooling components:
  • Corsair Hydro X Series, XC7 RGB CPU Water Block
  • EK-XTOP SPC-60 PWM - 60% PWM setting (almost silent on open test bench)
  • Various fittings (2 2 G1/4 quick release fittings sets, 4 x 16/10 compression fittings, Tubing and 90 degree angles)
Monitoring components:
  • Thermaltake Pacific Liquid Cooling System Temperature Sensor
  • RoboPeak display (powered by Aida64)
Planned test method:
  1. Record radiator and Fan combinations
  2. Record CPU package temp, water temp, ambient temp, Flow rate, fan RPM, pump RPM. all at desktop
  3. 30 min run of Prime 95 (small FTT)
  4. Record CPU package temp, water temp, ambient temp at end of run
First Test:
Before:

After:
  1. Slim 120mm radiator (Magicool G2 SLIM RADIATOR 16 FPI ) & 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM - Set to 60% (almost silent on open test bench)
  2. 26c, 23c, 20.5c, ~75L/H, 930RPM, 1,850RPM
  3. Run completed
  4. 61c, 34c, 21c
Second Test:
Before:

After:

1. Slim 240mm radiator (CoolWorld 240) & 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM - Set to 60% (almost silent on open test bench)
  2. 26c, 23c, 21.5c, ~70L/H, 930RPM, 1,850RPM
  3. Run completed
  4. 60c, 32c, 21.5c
Third Test:
Before:

After:

1. Slim 240mm radiator (CoolWorld 240) & 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM and 6 x Noctua NF-A4x10 - all to 60% (almost silent on open test bench)
  2. 26c, 22c, 21c, ~70L/H, 930RPM / 2,800 RPM, 1,850RPM
  3. Run completed
  4. 57c, 30c, 21c

Fourth Test:
Before:

After:
  1. Akasa A10 Venom AIO & 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM all to 60% (almost silent on open test bench, pump gurgles occasionally)
  2. 27c, N/A , 20.5c, N/A, 930RPM, 2,450RPM
  3. Run completed
  4. 63c, N/A, 20c

My plan is to run multiple tests, comparing different radiators and AIO's (if I can find the ones I had in my garage somewhere). Then plan on repeating with bigger loop incluing GPU (undervolted)

Last edited:

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Got my CPU test set-up ready, the majority of these components are ready for the MJOLNIR when it arrives, parts consist of:
  • i9-9900KF (Relidded with copper heat spreader and liquid metal) - Bios Limited to 95W
  • Aorus Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
  • PLEXTOR PX-256S2G
  • 32gb DDR4 - 3000
  • 1050ti - used for testing due to KF chip
  • HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX
  • 330w Dell power Brick

Watercooling components:
  • Corsair Hydro X Series, XC7 RGB CPU Water Block
  • EK-XTOP SPC-60 PWM - 60% PWM setting (almost silent on open test bench)
  • Various fittings (2 2 G1/4 quick release fittings sets, 4 x 16/10 compression fittings, Tubing and 90 degree angles)
Monitoring components:
  • Thermaltake Pacific Liquid Cooling System Temperature Sensor
  • RoboPeak display (powered by Aida64)
Planned test method:
  1. Record radiator and Fan combinations
  2. Record CPU package temp, water temp, ambient temp, Flow rate, fan RPM, pump RPM. all at desktop
  3. 30 min run of Prime 95 (small FTT)
  4. Record CPU package temp, water temp, ambient temp at end of run
First Test:
  1. Slim 120mm radiator (Magicool G2 SLIM RADIATOR 16 FPI ) & 1 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM - Set to 60% (almost silent on open test bench)
  2. 26c, 23c, 20.5c, ~75L/H, 930RPM, 1,850RPM
  3. Run completed
  4. 61c, 34c, 21c
Before:

After:

My plan is to run multiple tests, comparing different radiators and AIO's (if I can find the ones I had in my garage somewhere). Then plan on repeating with bigger loop incluing GPU (undervolted)

Problem is that your tests mean absolutely nothing because you are not using a case, you are working with open air and not a case with different airflow dynamics. Unless you build a mockup of the case which mimics the characteristics of the enclosure, you will get a totally different set of numbers. It's simple science.

Don't waste your time.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Problem is that your tests mean absolutely nothing because you are not using a case, you are working with open air and not a case with different airflow dynamics. Unless you build a mockup of the case which mimics the characteristics of the enclosure, you will get a totally different set of numbers. It's simple science.

Don't waste your time.

I think you are being a bit negative here and again reading something into a post that isn't there. I'm not claiming "OMG, l33t MJOLNIR CPU t3mps R 40C on m0ar c0rez!", I cant see where I make a reference to these temperatures in the case.

Unfortunately, I lack a time machine to go and get hold of something that hasn't even been made yet but I am in the fortunate position of having loads of watercooling bits in storage, and I'm simply trying to do comparisons of some of the different cooling options I already have that should fit in the case. From that I intend to infer some things for my build.

For example, if a H55 AIO yields the same CPU temperature deltas in this this 'constrained' open bench test case as a custom loop with a 120mm rad, then the existing wisdom of "just use an 120mm AIO" would seem completely valid. However, if there is a 5c or even 10c delta CPU package difference between configurations with the same constraints, then once additional case, processor or other constraints are added, it could be inferred that "just use an 120mm AIO" may not hold in all cases.

Personally, I like the aesthetics and sound profile of custom loops, so I will be putting a custom loop in my case when it arrives whatever the outcome. If I go with a 120 or 240 rad might be impacted by these tests, along with if I cool the GPU and/or CPU, but if this isn't of any interest to you then please feel to stick me on ignore. :thumb:

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
I think you are being a bit negative here and again reading something into a post that isn't there. I'm not claiming "OMG, l33t MJOLNIR CPU t3mps R 40C on m0ar c0rez!", I cant see where I make a reference to these temperatures in the case.

Unfortunately, I lack a time machine to go and get hold of something that hasn't even been made yet but I am in the fortunate position of having loads of watercooling bits in storage, and I'm simply trying to do comparisons of some of the different cooling options I already have that should fit in the case. From that I intend to infer some things for my build.

For example, if a H55 AIO yields the same CPU temperature deltas in this this 'constrained' open bench test case as a custom loop with a 120mm rad, then the existing wisdom of "just use an 120mm AIO" would seem completely valid. However, if there is a 5c or even 10c delta CPU package difference between configurations with the same constraints, then once additional case, processor or other constraints are added, it could be inferred that "just use an 120mm AIO" may not hold in all cases.

Personally, I like the aesthetics and sound profile of custom loops, so I will be putting a custom loop in my case when it arrives whatever the outcome. If I go with a 120 or 240 rad might be impacted by these tests, along with if I cool the GPU and/or CPU, but if this isn't of any interest to you then please feel to stick me on ignore. :thumb:

Not being negative, just being realistic. I used to work with industrial water loops which is heating and cooling systems. So I know where your coming from.

You could use cardboard to make the mockup of the case.

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
Any chance we get to see actual color samples before backer surveys are due? The Stealth looks incredible in real life, even better than renders, but it's hard to compare when there aren't any real pictures of the other two options. Dark especially could be ever-so-slightly lighter or darker and really change my opinion about it.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
In between GPU and the Spine

It's not going to fit unfortunately, there's 4mm of space between the GPU PCIe and the Spine. You'll need 7mm to fit a 2.5 drive :/

Hey Alex.

I'm thinking of building the front panel in a 3D printer. (a thin exhaust like [ Razer Core])

I need some Dimension from Parts.
Can you share that information?

Of course, I'm very excited about your boost options, too!

I'll help you with this a bit closer to the shipping date friend :) Sounds like a cool idea though!

This is a nice idea! However, there are 3 issues; noise, efficiency and cost. I'd still be super interested in seeing somebody mod the original design this way :)

Noise
- 2x80mm fans vs 1x120mm fan will produce a high frequency sounds that will more audible compared to the larger fan.

Efficiency
- 2x80mm fans vs 1x120mm fan will have lower airflow compared to the larger fan. Also, as @For_Science demonstrated a while back, having the fans to close to a solid surface will drop airflow pretty dramatically. There is not much room to move them back/forth either :/

Cost
- The CNC techniques here are a bit more complicated (also more parts involved), so we're probably going to land on $99 rather than $59.

Any chance we get to see actual color samples before backer surveys are due? The Stealth looks incredible in real life, even better than renders, but it's hard to compare when there aren't any real pictures of the other two options. Dark especially could be ever-so-slightly lighter or darker and really change my opinion about it.

Update #1 on the Kickstarter campaign shows a couple more pics of the different colors. In short, these are our color targets:
  • Steel - Macbook pro Silver
  • Dark - Macbook pro Space Gray
  • Stealth - Razer Core Black

AndreThe Ghost

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 30, 2019
How does it work with ordering the booster cell? Do you get the original front and an additional booster cell front or is it an either or situation?

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
How does it work with ordering the booster cell? Do you get the original front and an additional booster cell front or is it an either or situation?

Orders for Booster Cell will open somewhere in February. Those who get it, get it addition to the MJOLNIR they choose. So yes, you'll get both the original front and the Booster Cell add-on if you order it :)

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Finished my first round of testing on a 30 minute burn on prime 95 using my 95w test bench and have updated the original post.

Based on this really limited test, 120mm AIO vs custom 240 rad loop is the biggest difference (as expected). AIO is slightly louder (pump even run at 60% is a bit gurgly) and ~5c warmer based on a 95w load.

Another observation on the 120 rad (single fan) vs 240 rad (single fan) discussion indicates that the use of a 240 rad gave very little performance improvement over the 120mm rad, unless it has fans on it.

My multi-fan rad setup for those interested:

Other points:
  • I made sure not use a reservoir for the custom loops to reduce "heatsinking" caused by the additional extra fluid volume in the loop. Adding a res in may double the volume of fluid in a small loop.
  • The use of 2 quick release fittings will have reduced the flow rate of the pump significantly.

Last edited:

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
Goatee, I already made peace with using a 120mm Rad. Stop giving me hope!

Jk, that's great work. Is the AIO really louder than the 6 additional 40mm fans? That's surprising.