• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
@AlexTzone Hi Alex, today's shower thought was surrounding the screws holding the side panels. Now that you have a wide spectrum of gray values going from the silver to black, will the screws be matching in color with the corresponding case?

If not, are the screws included going to be silver or black? This affects how perceivable the little hole is on the chassis and I would personally like to get the one that looks least inconspicuous. From the pictures previously it looked like the screws were silvery and therefore stands out more on the black (stealth) chassis,

Even better, there will not be any holes on the outside. Managed to come up with a way to fix this with our manufacturer ?

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Even better, there will not be any holes on the outside. Managed to come up with a way to fix this with our manufacturer ?
I see your point.

Hiding a bolt hole is the best news I've ever heard.

Is that an advantage that you changed from Unibody to a split part?

I think it is a more attractive change than Unibody with bolt holes.

People would have liked this news better if it was released first.

Reactions: AlexTzone

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
It makes sense.

Unibody's bolt hole would have to be pierced from the outside, but the separated parts would be able to keep the shell intact if they were processed from the inside

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I see your point.

It makes sense.

Unibody's bolt hole would have to be pierced from the outside, but the separated parts would be able to keep the shell intact if they were processed from the inside

We literally got it worked out like a day ago haha ? Exactly like you said, because the part is split it's possible to process it from the inside!

Reactions: wolfatpno

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I see your point.

It makes sense.

We literally got it worked out like a day ago haha ? Exactly like you said, because the part is split it's possible to process it from the inside!

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Heey guys,

We'll be giving away (1) MJOLNIR R + 2x Panel sets on LAUNCH DAY!

The details
  • Chosen randomly from the backers on November 26 between 4:00-5:00 pm (1 hour)
  • Must have pledged for the MJOLNIR S reward or higher
  • Doesn't include shipping & import fees
If you win, don't cancel your pledge — we'll use a small amount for shipping and refund the rest to you at the of the campaign. Let me know what you think?

Best,
Alex

Reactions: PBJ and Shinken1

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Heey guys,

We'll be giving away (1) MJOLNIR R + 2x Panel sets on LAUNCH DAY!

The details
  • Chosen randomly from the backers on November 26 between 4:00-5:00 pm (1 hour)
  • Must have pledged for the MJOLNIR S reward or higher
  • Doesn't include shipping & import fees
If you win, don't cancel your pledge — we'll use a small amount for shipping and refund the rest to you at the of the campaign. Let me know what you think?

Best,
Alex

Great idea, for the PeakDesign campaign they basically gave the winner "credit" worth the reward and the user could choose to distribute the credit across whatever add on they prefer. Although for this campaign I guess it doesn't make sense that somebody wouldn't want the extra panel set.

Makes me wonder however if you should just let to go on until the end since as this stands this is just a "reward" for those who get in extra early (I suppose it is like an replacement of the early bird). But if you leave it running until the end of the campaign maybe people will be tempted to pledge just for the sake of entering the giveaway...? not sure.

Last edited:

thekinghippo

Average Stuffer
Feb 1, 2019
I think in the original KS the giveaway was for a free Mjolnir in addition to the one bought. While not quite as cool as an almost free case, I didn't see anything wrong with that. (Qualifying was a bit different too)

A small problem with the new giveaway idea is theoretically people could game the system by pledging despite not actually have the intention to buy and then canceling if/when they didn't win the freebee.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
A small problem with the new giveaway idea is theoretically people could game the system by pledging despite not actually have the intention to buy and then canceling if/when they didn't win the freebee.

Though maybe you can play the game on them and actually have the giveaway as a stretch goal just before the actual kickstarter goal so that the pledges get locked in :)

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Great idea, for the PeakDesign campaign they basically gave the winner "credit" worth the reward and the user could choose to distribute the credit across whatever add on they prefer. Although for this campaign I guess it doesn't make sense that somebody wouldn't want the extra panel set.

Makes me wonder however if you should just let to go on until the end since as this stands this is just a "reward" for those who get in extra early (I suppose it is like an replacement of the early bird). But if you leave it running until the end of the campaign maybe people will be tempted to pledge just for the sake of entering the giveaway...? not sure.

Yeah the R + 2 panel sets is better than any reward before it. Although the credit thing is not a bad idea in this case either, perhaps the winner wants to use it to get a discount on a high-tier reward (Duo, Trinity and God of Thunder) ? What do you think?

Regarding timing, the 1h-limited giveaway will offer a pretty substantial chance of winning (less participants than at the end of the campaign). This should give more incentive and create a larger launch (which Kickstarter loves). Also a lot less risk than traditional early birds, i.e. much rather pay for 1 unit ourselves than risk not having enough funds to create the first 100.

Perhaps we’ll add a MJOLNIR S giveaway / credit for the whole campaign as well. That way people who back early get double opportunity, while those who come later still enter something :) Have to check with the CreW first though.

I think in the original KS the giveaway was for a free Mjolnir in addition to the one bought. While not quite as cool as an almost free case, I didn't see anything wrong with that. (Qualifying was a bit different too)

One way to avoid this would perhaps be to randomly pic a winner after the campaign has ended? I.e. we do it live on YouTube. The winner will of course still be one of those who pledge during the opening hour :)

Reactions: PBJ

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Yeah the R + 2 panel sets is better than any reward before it. Although the credit thing is not a bad idea in this case either, perhaps the winner wants to use it to get a discount on a high-tier reward (Duo, Trinity and God of Thunder) ? What do you think?

Regarding timing, the 1h-limited giveaway will offer a pretty substantial chance of winning (less participants than at the end of the campaign). This should give more incentive and create a larger launch (which Kickstarter loves). Also a lot less risk than traditional early birds, i.e. much rather pay for 1 unit ourselves than risk not having enough funds to create the first 100.

Perhaps we’ll add a MJOLNIR S giveaway / credit for the whole campaign as well. That way people who back early get double opportunity, while those who come later still enter something :) Have to check with the CreW first though.

One way to avoid this would perhaps be to randomly pic a winner after the campaign has ended? I.e. we do it live on YouTube. The winner will of course still be one of those who pledge during the opening hour :)

I think more options for the consumer will always be a plus, so if you are able to manage the credit based system I am in support for it. I am also in support to have the giveaways decided at the end of the campaign. So in summary:

Mjolnir R + 2 panel giveaway eligibility criteria - Pledged in the first hour of the campaign and still in the campaign after lockdown
Mjolnir S + 2 panel (?) giveaway - All backers after lockdown eligible.

Whether you do a livestream or not is not so important for me as I'd be just happy to know the results through other non-live methods.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I think more options for the consumer will always be a plus, so if you are able to manage the credit based system I am in support for it. I am also in support to have the giveaways decided at the end of the campaign. So in summary:

Mjolnir R + 2 panel giveaway eligibility criteria - Pledged in the first hour of the campaign and still in the campaign after lockdown
Mjolnir S + 2 panel (?) giveaway - All backers after lockdown eligible.

Whether you do a livestream or not is not so important for me as I'd be just happy to know the results through other non-live methods.

I think we can manage it, I'm just worried about making it overcomplicated. But it should be fine. The end giveaway is without extra panels (just MJOLNIR S or it's credit).

Reactions: For_Science

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Camera test

Now how smooth it that??!

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Looks beautiful! But is the curvature of the top panel expected to be slightly tighter against the frame? Currently I perceive more gap in the corners than the edge

Yes definitely, we'll tighten up the corner gap so it's the same as all other gaps (0.125mm). Also, since we're switching to CNC we'll tighten up the gaps everywhere in the production models.

Reactions: For_Science

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
@AlexTzone I assume that the final production version will be made with casting instead of CNC? if so, have you had any samples of the cast version made? i think it is rather misleading that you're showing CNCed version of the case instead of the cast version. tolerances between CNC and cast is vastly different

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone I assume that the final production version will be made with casting instead of CNC? if so, have you had any samples of the cast version made? i think it is rather misleading that you're showing CNCed version of the case instead of the cast version. tolerances between CNC and cast is vastly different
The relevant discussion is on Page 53, but in short the production models are going to be CNCed as well indeed because of the tolerances. And so the prototypes are representative.