• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
That is such great news! I was wondering if there is any feasible way to have a piece of metal to shroud the PCIe connector and riser on the GPU side? I always thought that piece of "raw" circuitry was abit unrefined. Obviously not too big, since that could also affect the GPU temperatures if it jutts out too much.

Although the 5 mm extra width won't accomodate any more cards (I don't think) it should help with reducing turbulent noise since 2-slot cards won't be smashed against the panel.

I think using the extra GPU length real estate to implement a recessed GPU bracket is also a fantastic idea, Although I suppose the riser cable will be a bit skewed and even more ugly, which would be in support to my point above about a shroud :)

As a complete side crazy thought, if there was a way to put feet on the back (motherboard I/O side) then a stylish tower style chassis is already there too ;) The front bezel could be a good location to have a Qi charger. Just spit balling on the last paragraph here.

Thanks for the feedback buddy! Hmm I understand what you mean, but I unfortunately don't think we'll make a PCIe shroud this time. Will definitely think about it for the next project :thumb:

Well my prayers have been answered, we can fit cards like the 2080ti duke and aios like the kraken? This case is gonna be awesome, lookign forward to more pics

It's a lot thanks to you friend :) Well as far as I can see the kraken 120 will fit, but I'm not sure about the 2080ti Duke. We might make custom standoffs for the GPU side so that it will fit. Does removing the backplate woid warranty? (Sorry I have only had non-backplate GPUs)

Any increase in size would be WELL worth the additional value these changes will give.
Better GPU support and 120mm AIO support will appeal to a far greater audience.

Completely agree with you!! :)

@AlexTzone

Since it sounds like you will be machining another external chassis for the 120 mm AIO, I thought I'd like to be extra vocal about my concerns for the lack of cutouts in certain areas of the prototype at the moment.

Either in the inverted layout (my preferred layout) as with all sandwich style cases, the majority of the intake will happen from the sides. It is questionable as to whether there is any intake from the front grills, perhaps from virtue of negative pressure, but I assume the openings in the side panel will always win first by proximity.

So at the moment, there is a great solid chunk of glass that would either be bouncing back the heat from the radiator, or the PSU, and the whole of the GPU side. I think it is imperative that there are some cutouts in the top glass piece as well to facilitate any kind of decent heat dissipation. This will mean that a dust filter would be a nice touch to prevent dust falling into the chassis constantly.

On the chassis side of things, in the "standard" orientation, the radiator is presumably flush against this solid piece of aluminium that isn't even visible, so it would be super great for this to be very vented. Honestly, I wouldn't be so salty if it was even completly open, but I suppose you need some minimal coverage to prevent from things jutting into the case during transport, for example. But this part should be very holey in my opinion. In the "inverted" layout, this part will be necessary for the PSU exhaust.

Basically I think with all these solid panelling so far, you risk too much heat bouncing back in. When you do you thermal tests I guess you have the internal control of temps with the external aluminium chassis and with the whole internals removed and running "fully open"; hopefully you (we?) can improve the aluminium chassis so that there is very little delta between the fully open mode and with the chassis on top of it.

Very well documented post, and I would be lying if I said that we didn't take what you said into consideration for the upcoming update. Thanks a lot for that buddy :) Just one thing, both top and side glass panels have 5 mm cutouts around the edges, but yeah I see your point in needing even more. We'll return to the glass panel side of things after thermal testing, because right now we don't know to which degree the thermal are affected by the cutouts (hexagon shapes).

Is it possible to add a system fan when increasing volume?

Not this time, sorry :\

I say get rid of glass and lower price with plastic instead

If we switch to acrylic it will most likely be to keep the price at the same level (that is if we don't get a good deal on the TG and it ends up being to expensive). This is a difficult matter, acrylic is easier to scratch but is more clear. On the other hand, TG has a more premium feel to it.

Will the glass panel be tinted?

They will not be tinted, sorry.

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Back again with the HOLY GRAIL of MJOLNIR I updates!

This is ideally the last upgrade to MJOLNIR I before we launch the Kickstarter campaign, so we might as well make it worth your consideration.

120 MM AIOs / CASE FANS
Finally, after so many discussions and considerations we added 5 mm extra width, 5 mm extra height and 19 mm extra length to kram in 120 mm AIO compatibility. These adjustments increased case volume from 8.8L to 9.5L, which is IMO well worth it given the fall of ASETEK 545LC and size of the 120 mm AIO market. MJOLNIR I is hereinafter compatible with AIOs up to 120 mm (W) x 155 mm (L) x 58 mm (H, incl. fan).

New vs Old Enclosure

The AIO / case fan will be located in the same area as before, we'll just make some adjustments to the internal frame so that it's adapted to the new standard. You may have noticed the giant hole on the bottom of the new chassis, we'll cover this further down ;)

VENTED METAL PANELS
Not everybody likes glass panels, and those who don't shouldn't be punished for it. There was an obvious airflow flaw with the previous design, so this time we added vent holes and redesigned the fixture elements for a much more stable and premium feel. Unfortunately this means that you can no longer use both glass and metal panels at the same time. Switching between them shouldn't take more than 5 minutes though.

Side Panels

Back panel is now flush against the end of the enclosure, this was done in order to minimize the "lengthening" of the case when adding 120 mm AIO compatibility. IMO this looks better than before, what do you guys think?

NEW BOTTOM DESIGN
As mentioned before, the bottom of the case now looks like a giant hole. Or better yet, it's exactly symmetrical to the top. So what's going on? A new bottom glass panel? Nope, the bottom of the case will now house the new "Bottom Panel" (I take no extra credit for coming up with these innovative and unique names). Basically it's a very premium airflow friendly dust filter, something very important now that 120 mm AIOs have come into play.

Bottom Panel

ADDITIONAL IMPROVEMENTS
Expanding the case a couple millimeters here and there gave us the opportunity to add so more real estate to the GPU side.
  • 5 mm extra GPU Height (total: 146 mm from bottom of the bracket)
  • 5 mm extra GPU Width (total: 44 mm without backplate)
  • 19 mm extra on GPU Length (total: 319 mm)

PROTOTYPE
Final internal frame parts should be here 7:th of November at the latest. Still haven't received the MOBO and RAM, good thing they are expected to arrive the 7:th as well. Had a chat with Ali Sayed from Optimum Tech (YouTube channel), he agreed to review the chassis and comment on the build quality and what not; please note that he will be reviewing a prototype without the newly added 120mm AIO support / metal side panels and bottom dust filter redesigns. I think Ali does fantastic reviews, really happy that he agreed.

Best,
Alex

Last edited:

dlal1520

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2017
It's a lot thanks to you friend :) Well as far as I can see the kraken 120 will fit, but I'm not sure about the 2080ti Duke. We might make custom standoffs for the GPU side so that it will fit. Does removing the backplate woid warranty? (Sorry I have only had non-backplate GPUs)

Also thanks to you being open to our suggestions as well!

But I think it may just fit? Not completely sure but the specs are 314 x 120 x 50 mm so i think it just fits? Taking off the back plate does void warranty. but having an adjustable pcie riser would definitely be helpful.

Either way the whole project is looking great and excited to see what Optimum thinks about it. I do hope the team sticks with tempered glass though as its much easier to clean safely compared to scratch prone acrylic.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexTzone

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
This is good either way. glad to know my ftw3 1080 ti will fit with aio and I am currently looking at Raijintek orcus 120mm aio. Also glad to know Corsair Veangence Pro RGB ram will also fit. :)

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I think it may just fit? not sure the specs are 314 x 120 x 50 mm so i think it just fits? Either way the whole project is looking great and excited to see what Optimum thinks about it. I do hope the team sticks with tempered glass though as its much easier to clean safely compared to scratch prone acrylic.
The Duke card is too fat, as a minimum you won't be able to close the side panel, and based on the chassis I think it won't fit in the Z direction.

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
Great job taking the feedback to heart and redesigning the case accordingly.

The bottom panel looks great. Could the case mount a second bottom panel as a top one? It looks as if that could be a plausible option to improve thermals, the perforations look a bit too small and few in number in my opinion.

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
good job addressing feedbacks

btw i suggest you to test different hole patterns (maybe even with just cheap plastic pannels).

PS:it might be a smart idea to make the cpu side with a flush (no holes) glass pannel as people are supposed to use a 120mm aio anyway

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
good job addressing feedbacks

PS:it might be a smart idea to make the cpu side with a flush (no holes) glass pannel as people are supposed to use a 120mm aio anyway

Personally I would like a case with all metal sides, no glass panels, it should be an option

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
@AlexTzone

TLDR Version:
- Great step forward, love the direction
- Recessed GPU shroud! Otherwise the "flap" will be extra obvious
- All vented panels need more holes, all the way to edge if possible (Glass panels too, if possible)
- The small feet of the case means that while the vented bottom is good, the table surface is now the equivalent of the closed cover

Flat Rear Panel & Recessed GPU Bracket
I love the new flush design of the rear panel (I didn't notice the previous one wasn't until you pointed it out)
But now that you have, I like it a lot. It's great you can expand the length without significant impact on the footprint

However, I have concerns over how the GPU is and will be mounted.
In most cases, there is a flap out of the GPU bracket so that the pcie bracket can be screwed in
However, that would mean you have 5~10 mm of metal jutting out the back. Not a good look in my opinion

As mentioned earlier, if you have a recessed GPU mount that would provide an advantage over a lot of competing SFF cases since most designs implement "the flap". This would obviously reduce the GPU tolerance from 319 mm to 309 mm (ish) however there are not many cards that lie in the 310-319 mm range. For the 1080Ti cards, this seens to be 4 of them (KFA2 HOF, Colorful Vulcan X, and PNY XLR8)
and honestly, they aren't even 2-slot cards so they wouldn't have fit anyway.

The popular Openshroud GPU for the 2-slot Pascal 1080Ti generation are 300 mm (EVGA), 290 mm (MSI). and therefore implementing a recessed GPU shroud has near to 0 impact on GPU compatibility but proviodes a premium feature that is not offered by competing products.

As a side note, I understand that you aren't offering any PCIe shields or any options for bifurcation (which just to be clear, is totally not necessary for this case) and therefore there are literally no cards that are single slot width, and so I question what this piece is for, it only makes it difficult to connect the display adaptors (especially DP). I would say it is safe to assume that all cards going into this case will be a 2-slot card, and so this middle pole seems unneccesary to me.

Great Holes, but I would like more
I LOVE the vented panels, and the new bottom panel design, this would give the case a chance to breath and is a fantastic step forward into a viable product.The side panels are clearly to keep the GPU, and the CPU cooler, and PSU fed with air. So I would say it is important to think about the language and functionality.

On the GPU side, there are vents running almost across the case, but if the drilling tolerances allow for it, I believe there need to be more of them. Blower cards tend to only have one intake vent, so are completely accounted for.

From my rough ruler attached onto my monitor, I think I see about 30 mm of solid aluminium from the left to the first whole. Where as the cards likes of the EVGA have the tip of the left most fan at ~10 mm for a big card like the FTW or ~20 mm for a RTX founders edition. Similarly in the vertical direction, the Fans extend far beyond the pcie connector for the EVGA card, and the up to the pcie bracket for the RTX FE. My strict belief is that is that a fan should have holes over it completely, Air should be allowed to go straight from the outside into the blades without having to turn corners. This even more important for the inverted orientation since the GPU will be lower down relative to the vents since the GPU is not centered in the Y direction.

This also extends to the ventiliation of the glass panels, the holes should really be allowed to extend as much as the tolerances allow for it. (with glass, I worry about the structural integrety, so I will let you tell me that the limits are). We obviously don't want side panels that will shatter if you press upon them.

Fans have nearly no airflow through the center (due to the hub being there) and so it is far more important to have good ventilation off the sides of the radiator than the center. As far as I can see fron the isometric renders, the vents probably only go over ~20% of the AIO area.

To sum it up, the vents in the side panel need to go all the way to the edge as far as it would allow for at your manufacturer.

The table is your new closed off bottom panel
I really think you need at least 20 mm of space between a hard surface and an intake/exhaust for air to have a chance to escape. Given the miniscule feet on this case, I seriously question the viability of the standard orientation. Having said that, I am not opposed to the feet as they are now, it is just unrealistic to expect any heat exhaust or good intake from the bottom of this case. Venting the bottom chamber is good, but without feet height, the table becomes the equivalent of a closed panel.

I would personally be tempted to put the new bottom panel on the top, It's just a little bit weird to have a very obvious 8-pack on the top of the computer, so I wonder if it can be mounted "upside down" where the filter is on the top and the metal is on the inside. This would look sleeker and would provide adequate airflow to the AIO and an exhaust route for the GPU heat.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Assuming that the panels that come with the case are the following:

- 2 x Glass side panels (with even bigger cutouts)
- 2 x Solid side panels (with more holes as described in my previous post)
- 1 x Bottom panel with Meshing
- 1 x Solid Top panel (with more holes as described in my previous post)
- 1 x Glass Top panel (assumed to be without cutouts, but hopefully you will be able to put cuts into it)

Then I could imagine that these would be the "sensible" layouts. If @AlexTzone is willing, I was wondering if you could see if these are possible (and maybe a render :p)

Performance Mode
Sides Panel: 2x Glass panels
Top Panel: Bottom panel with the meshing outside the case (metal frame in the interior)
Bottom Panel: Solid Top panel
Internal: Inverted layout

Based on the current rendering, even with the additional holes, I think the cutout glass panels are more breathable due to having bigger holes. If you can make them bigger in the glass, the difference would be even greater. Inverted internal layout is the only layout that makes sense for heat exhaust (watercooler) or fresh air intake (aircooler)

Skandanavian Mode (aka HotBox Mode)
Side Panel: 2x Solid Panel
Bottom Panel: Bottom Panel with the meshing inside the case
Top Panel: Solid Top Panel
Internal: Inverted layout

This is a looks focused layout, but since the case is likely not to be able to breathe through the bottom since the feet are so short, the same theory as above applies (heat exhaust for watercooler, or fresh intake for aircooling). PSUs are quite good nowadays and do not require much airflow and are quiet anyway under light loads.

Showpiece Mode (aka HotBox 2.0)
Side Panel: 2x Glass panels
Bottom Panel: Bottom Panel with meshing inside the case
Top Panel: Glass top panel
Internals: Standard layout
Extra: 4x bottle caps, or extra rubber feet, or something to lift the case up

Honestly, with a solid top glass panel, even if the sides have a gap, there is no chance that the 120 mm AIO or the GPU is going to be able to exhaust the heat out of the top, and so you will be probably forced to have the internals in the standard layout so the radiator is on the bottom. However since the bottom is so close to the table surface, they also have no chance of exhausting heat from the bottom either. To avoid a runaway thermal situation the only solution is to sneak something like 2 really fat pens or 4 bottle caps underneath the chassis to lift it off the table surface first.

Alternatively I would lay the case vertically (either on the face and have all the cables coming out messily out the top, or conjure some kind of feet on the motherboard i/o side). and that way all the panels become "Side panels" and the radiator and GPU can exhaust out all their heat with ease through the "bottom" that is now also a side.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Fantastic update Alex, really blown away by your openness to feedback and making these adjustments to the case as this will really strengthen your concept and community support on the project. I for one am getting more and more excited by these updates and improvements and, granted I'm in a stable place financially when the Kickstarter launches, look forward to supporting the case further!

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
I think it is better to keep the ratio even if the volume increases

(I would like to buy a 92mm prototype. Even if 92mm aio is discontinued)

If you increase the width by 5mm, how about expanding the height by 1cm? It will be more beneficial for ventilation. If 1cm is not enough, it may be higher. I understand that you want to moderate volume expansion, but the old design ratio looks better.

It would be nice if a 13mm extra fans could be installed.

http://www.cryorig.com/xt140.php

or

Consider 49mm H aio

How about applying a glass side cutout to an aluminum side ?

I think it is also a way to give up the detachable side panels.

It would not be strange to increase the vent to the limit.

The "Slide-In installation" method has no difficulty in assembling without detachable panels.

The changed design seems to be uncomfortable to remove the panel. (The initial design removal method was very innovative)

For_science//

The pillar seems to be necessary for rigidity.

--MOD EDIT: Posts merged.

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
For_science//

The pillar seems to be necessary for rigidity.

--MOD EDIT: Posts merged.
I can believe that for thin steel, but this is fairly thick aluminium, the cutout should be stable enough, it is similar to the motherboard I/O.

@AlexTzone
Also, you may have already thought of this already, but just wanted to make sure. Regardless of whether you don't change the GPU mounting or go for a recessed GPU mount, since you have a thick aluminum chassis, it is probably well worth considering extending the cutout lengthwise. You see, the standard PCIe bracket thickness in most chassis is not wide enough to accomodate the whole display port adaptor and the black plastic part overhands onto the thin steel part. Since the Steel is thin, this doesn't impact the connection onto the GPU. However I can foresee that with the thick aluminium chassis, if the display port connector collided into the chassis in a similar fashion, the connector probably won't be able to make connection with the port itself. If this is the case, this would be considered a serious design flaw :X

htko89

Trash Compacter
Nov 22, 2017
GPU flap & metal between GPU slots..

@AlexTzone Might I suggest taking a page from the Louqe ghost in this matter. http://www.louqe.com/img/img/product/y10b.png If you look at the GPU side, it is just a single opening. The "flap" is missing due to an internal mounting mechanism. (notice the screw right above the GPU opening! - there is an internal plate that screws onto this. I can provide better pictures if needed)

This update was an epic one. I like what you did with the bottom opening (making it modular as well) as well as expanding it slightly and pushing the rear panel out. However, I don't agree with expanding the case 1cm+ more, like another user has suggested - would be directly against SFF as I feel you've been more than generous with accommodating community needs :)

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
For_science//
Can not tolerance be applied so that the port is centered? Than i agree

-----------------------------------------------------

How about changing design of the vents?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem is no longer feels like a young, sexy cheetah and looks overweight.

old - 12.4 : 20.3 => 61%

new - 13.1 : 21 => 62.3%

extra X H - 13.1 : 21.5 => 61% Almost the same ratio as old

It is important to maintain the identity of the sff case. But I think that delicate aesthetics is also important for this project.

btw :
Only the pillars in the front part became thick. What do you think when compared to external thickness?
Are you planning to make more changes?

I would recommend syncing the entire ratio with the old one.

It was a good idea to have the same pillar and external thickness

Last edited:

dlal1520

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2017
I think there are valid concerns that there is no cutout under the section where the 120mm aio is sitting. Im assuming thats going to be addressed with the updates on how the 120mm aio is going to sit under the psu? I also believe there are issues with the feet not being high enough to provide adequate airflow to use in the default orientation (or for air to come in from below the case).

Looking forward to the future changes and response to these concerns

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
I personally do not agree with any need to make the chassis any bigger beyond any functional reasons. In my opinion there is no perceived difference between the old and new ratios and should stay without any further increases.

I also think the normal vent design is fine, as long as it is expanded as my earlier post. There needs to be a clear distinction between the glass panel design and the solid panels. The solid panels should not scream "gamer" so a subdued ordinary grid pattern is suitable in my opinion.