Votes: 63 9.7%
  • RGB Version (With controller) - 349 USD

Votes: 104 16.0%

• Total voters

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
Before I start building later this week: when do I use the small performance plate and when do I use the meshed plate that was included? Also, what kind of pads are those, you're using, @keepcoding ?

Which panel you use is up to you I think. The mesh will allow for more airflow and better prevents dust from getting into the case.

As for the pads, I just had those lying around (don't remember where I got them from). I think any thin self-adhesive felt pad will do.

abdulla

Trash Compacter
Oct 11, 2019
This is the mess of cables I ended up with:

There's two small tweaks that I can do to make it a lot cleaner. I have a shorter EPS cable on the way, so I don't have to tuck the excess between the RAM and the pump block, and I'm planning on zip-tying and tucking the Noctua extension fans behind the motherboard, or on the GPU side.

Everything else is optimised to give the fans as much clearance as possible, and the GPU-side to have no obstruction to airflow.

Jakyrian

Caliper Novice
Jan 15, 2018
Hey Alex, I’ve reached out on the contact email but not received a reply yet. Is it possible to confirm that you’ve received my email? Thanks

Paul_the_Octopus

Trash Compacter
Apr 17, 2020
@AlexTzone will i actually receive my case in 2021? I live in Chile.
it just seems like every week is next week with this project, it’s exhausting . Can i just get a month/year ballpark that is not complete crap?
thanks .

Gambit2K

Efficiency Noob
Sep 11, 2019
Hmm, too short?

Works for my purposes but I have a feeling 2-5 cm extra would look better?
Hi Alex

Any preliminary measurements you can give us right now for the orientation you posted here? Like 30-ish cm for the 8 pin EPS/CPU and 6 CM for the PCIE 8 pin?

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
To the community and Alex (Message will be sent via email too).

I just got my case through UPS today, (Kickstarter, Germany, Steel + 2 panel sets). Overall the case packaging looks like it is improved and I did not have any fallen magnets or missing corners as far as I could see. The case exterior finish is great and I did not observe any immediately obvious blemishes worth reporting on. There were a few scratches on the inside of the shell and some panels, but at a tolerable level for my standards.

However, what was noticeable was that the glass was looking not in great shape. I immediately noticed that the Shield of Founders (Fig 1) and one of the glass panels had a large chip in the corner (Fig 2). Close inspection of the chip on the Shield of Founders show that there are also numerous smaller chips in the surrounding area (Fig 3). It was also noticeable that the edge of the glass must be incredibly jagged as you can see many sparkling artifacts on the edge of every panel (Fig 4).

Now apart from being rather disappointed about the chipped glass on two panels, this raised an overall question in my head - I thought tempered glass doesn't chip. I always was under the impression that if you damaged TG like how it is in these photos, they will shatter completely, and that is the point of TG. So I am in an uneasy situation with the following possibilities:

1 - The glass panel is actually not tempered glass and that's why it got chipped.
2 - The glass is tempered glass, and now that it is chipped, it is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode spontaneously
3 - I don't understand materials as well as I think I do.

Fig 1: Overview of the Shield of Founders and the noticeable chip in the glass

Fig 2: Overview of the glass panel and the noticeable chip in the glass

Fig 3: Near-Macro shot of the chip on the Shield of Founders

Fig 4: Very jagged glass edge visible from angles

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
I was planning to water cool my gpu but.... having second tots looking at how sexy this look inside the case

Capture2 by Victor Ng, on Flickr
It does look amazing lol but that 3080 ti is gonna overheat and thermal throttle in there. Trust me I have the same card and had to watercool it.
Hey breaker,

Can let me know whats the length and size of the shims? thanks alot.
For sure, when I get back home later today I'll take a close up picture and post it for you as well as measure them!

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Hey breaker,

Can let me know whats the length and size of the shims? thanks alot.
The shims are 26mm long by my measurements with my ruler and 1.019 inches long with my calipers. These are the long shims you get with the FormD T1. Here's some pictures I took of one of the shims including the caliper and ruler measurement shots:

If you need any other info lemme know! Can't wait to see what you come up with for your build!! The founders cooler on the 3080 ti does look amazing and I wish they didn't have to run so hot!

VictorNg

Trash Compacter
Oct 14, 2019
It does look amazing lol but that 3080 ti is gonna overheat and thermal throttle in there. Trust me I have the same card and had to watercool it.

For sure, when I get back home later today I'll take a close up picture and post it for you as well as measure them!

Did you try to flip the case , with the rad on top and extract the air out from top? (creating negative pressure in the casing)

Thanks for the measurement! its helpful.

I manage to find the details for the "spacers"

Capture3 by Victor Ng, on Flickr

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch
With my admittedly outdated hardware components, thermals look quite good with the flipped layout and the fan noise is very moderate. The PSU fan doesn't even spin under load and the other fans are well below 2000rpm. So far so good. Things might change if I swap my GTX1070 for a RTX3070 or similar with a higher TDP 😉

I posted a written review of my Mjolnir case, for those who are interested: https://blog.keepcoding.ch/?p=6681

Last edited:

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Did you try to flip the case , with the rad on top and extract the air out from top? (creating negative pressure in the casing)

Thanks for the measurement! its helpful.

I manage to find the details for the "spacers"

Capture3 by Victor Ng, on Flickr
Never tried a negative pressure setup. I did have my FormD T1 set up with a 120mm radiator as intake at the top cooling my 5950x and another 120mm fan as exhaust next to it on top with the 3080 ti stock air cooled and it thermal throttled. I was getting 81-83c on the gpu core with that setup. The founders 3080 ti thermal throttles at 83c so what I was seeing was thermal throttling. That was also with the FormD T1 in 3 slot mode with the 3080 ti pushed forward by 1 slot to give 1 slot worth of spacing behind it for the pass thru fans. So I can only imagine it would be even worse in Mjolnir as there's no space behind the gpu for the pass thru cooler design. Those kind of temps are not safe for longevity of the card. Especially the temps on the gddr6x, which mine was over 100c in that setup. You can try it, but i doubt it will be much different from my results. If you do go exhaust on your top radiator, your cpu temps are going to be abysmal for anything higher than a 65w tdp part. All that hot air from the 3080 ti will be going into that radiator and not leaving much of a delta for heat exchange.

Brickpudding

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 13, 2021

I just got my case through UPS today, (Kickstarter, Germany, Steel + 2 panel sets). Overall the case packaging looks like it is improved and I did not have any fallen magnets or missing corners as far as I could see. The case exterior finish is great and I did not observe any immediately obvious blemishes worth reporting on. There were a few scratches on the inside of the shell and some panels, but at a tolerable level for my standards.

However, what was noticeable was that the glass was looking not in great shape. I immediately noticed that the Shield of Founders (Fig 1) and one of the glass panels had a large chip in the corner (Fig 2). Close inspection of the chip on the Shield of Founders show that there are also numerous smaller chips in the surrounding area (Fig 3). It was also noticeable that the edge of the glass must be incredibly jagged as you can see many sparkling artifacts on the edge of every panel (Fig 4).

Now apart from being rather disappointed about the chipped glass on two panels, this raised an overall question in my head - I thought tempered glass doesn't chip. I always was under the impression that if you damaged TG like how it is in these photos, they will shatter completely, and that is the point of TG. So I am in an uneasy situation with the following possibilities:

1 - The glass panel is actually not tempered glass and that's why it got chipped.
2 - The glass is tempered glass, and now that it is chipped, it is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode spontaneously

I just received my steel Mjolnir as well, I was part of the original kickstarter so I have the exact same order as you. I also have the same issues as you in regards to the glass side panels. 2 of the 3 glass side panels have the exact same markings and edges being very jagged. Could this be an issue primarily for recent orders that were sent out? I have not seen this problem on the other earlier shipments from other people.

Sazexa

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2020

There isn't much benefit to TG over regular annealed glass other than breaking into smaller bead like pieces instead of large, sharp pieces. Regular annealed glass makes that broke window pane look when it does break, Arguably a bit more "dangerous," which is why I think so many big manufacturers go for TG as they don't want the potential legal recourse of someone getting cut or hurt on a broken glass panel.

That being said, those chips look like what regular glass does when it gets damaged to my knowledge. I believe tempered glass can chip, but if that were the case it likely would have definitely finished breaking in shipping even if it was padded well, or with you handling it already.

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
There isn't much benefit to TG over regular annealed glass other than breaking into smaller bead like pieces instead of large, sharp pieces. Regular annealed glass makes that broke window pane look when it does break, Arguably a bit more "dangerous," which is why I think so many big manufacturers go for TG as they don't want the potential legal recourse of someone getting cut or hurt on a broken glass panel.

That being said, those chips look like what regular glass does when it gets damaged to my knowledge. I believe tempered glass can chip, but if that were the case it likely would have definitely finished breaking in shipping even if it was padded well, or with you handling it already.
Sure, perhaps glass is functional, but I do not want to detract the discussion in that direction. TG is what was in the spec, so I expect TG to be what is in the product. I think TG would have survived shipping without chipping, and I do not accept that a chipped panel to be QC-passable material.

There is a good chance Alex is on summer holiday as it is customary in Sweden for everything to shut down for 2 months in this period, but I would assume he will have some answers, or at least some comments on the observations,

rudy44

Average Stuffer
Aug 31, 2017
I just received my steel Mjolnir as well, I was part of the original kickstarter so I have the exact same order as you. I also have the same issues as you in regards to the glass side panels. 2 of the 3 glass side panels have the exact same markings and edges being very jagged. Could this be an issue primarily for recent orders that were sent out? I have not seen this problem on the other earlier shipments from other people.
Same with my Steel that I recently received. The glass rattles and has chips in the corner.

I also noticed the anodizing to be a slightly different shade between the body and panels.