• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
I read on Kickstarter that one backer’s top panel got dislodged during transit and made a mark on the Shell. The package must have been pushed around violently, since this didn’t happen in any our test shipments or feedback we’ve gotten from receivers now. It’s an extremely unlucky case. Nevertheless, we’re halting all packages (341 already sent out unfortunately) and adding more security to the internal packaging.

We are discussing whether wrapping the case in tight film or adding tape around the original internal packaging is best.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
We have decided that 3 tapes around the original packaging is best. Did a drop test without the carton and everything was held together nicely.

Its not the most beautiful of solutions, but who cares. Nothing is more disheartening to the backers or us when a perfectly good case gets scratched in transit.

AlexTzone

Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Nice to hear that improvements on preventing scratches! I suppose this will be applied to all shipments starting today.

Yes we are repackaging every case right now. This shouldn’t be needed as the inserts hold the case very well and I think the affected backer is one of the extremely unlucky ones where the package was handled more roughly than standard. Whichever the case, all going out from today are secured more.

OshanTama

Cable Smoosher
May 21, 2021
According to the KS page or your update here, Stealth is the first delivery, followed by dark and steel.
In the latest update, you said 'Stealth: preparing to ship AU, CA, JP & KR together'.
I heard that the dark color has started shipping, and several customers have received tracking numbers.
Have you started shipping to Stealth AU, CA, JP & KR? Or are they postponed without saying anything because they don't need to care?

abdulla

Trash Compacter
Oct 11, 2019
Absolutely agree, a marker and a "sorry" doesn't cut it for such an expensive product. Was expecting them to have at least a few spare units, it is simply impossible to get 100% perfect cases without 100% quality control by a third party (this must be factored in from the beginning when calculating the sales price). Alex must know this as well so it was a deliberate choice not to have any spare parts and basically hope that the customer accepts the flaws. Not great.
I bought an M65-B from Rama Works for 390 USD in 2019. It shipped 18 months later, and there were marks throughout the inside where it looked like the anodizing/bead blasting was unfinished.

I ended up with a 20 USD voucher after (in my opinion) them dismissing my concerns. In contrast, Alex has been infinitely more communicative and seems to really care. I know everyone wants perfect, but nothing ever is. I'm still super happy with my M65-B.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Its not the most beautiful of solutions, but who cares.

As long as it works, then it's fine ;).

Nothing is more disheartening to the backers or us when a perfectly good case gets scratched in transit.

Never under-estimate the passion of "fragile package throwers" :D

NotBoringCase

Trash Compacter
May 20, 2021
I bought an M65-B from Rama Works for 390 USD in 2019. It shipped 18 months later, and there were marks throughout the inside where it looked like the anodizing/bead blasting was unfinished.

I ended up with a 20 USD voucher after (in my opinion) them dismissing my concerns. In contrast, Alex has been infinitely more communicative and seems to really care. I know everyone wants perfect, but nothing ever is. I'm still super happy with my M65-B.
I don't understand the need to compare things with the worst cases. If you want to deliver a premium product you have to compare with the best, not the opposite. I hate the comments like "well... at least you will receive your case after all" or "they are very communicative". Of course I was not expecting a scam, and I have not backed to chat with anybody. I assumed they were a serious company, and I share my thoughts when they don't delivering that compromise.

Reactions: YdderMkIV

smallfx

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2020

But there was literally a case posted by a user before mine that looked perfect, so I know there will be perfect AAA quality cases coming from this factory, I think I just got unlucky on mine. It's impossible to have defective free products when mass producing, some with issues will always slip through. A human reviewing hundreds of panels to find flaws will miss some, especially smaller imperfections. Then there is assembly, a slip of a tool or bump into a corner can leave permanent marks. Maybe someone in assembly nicked my case and deemed it something most won't notice and didn't say anything or didn't notice, who knows?

When there is constant talk about this factory having the highest QC standards and then you get a case like mine, I think anyone would be upset, it's only natural. And I'm the type of person where the issue will constantly be in my head when I look at it, nothing I can do about it, just the way my brain works.

And lets be real, I didn't expect a 100% perfect case. I even said I could overlook 90% of the issues I reported, even the deep scratches on the mb plate.

Also, the quality observed in close proximity is a little lower than my expectation.

The photos uploaded by Alex are what the case looks like in real life. The quality of the finish is extremely good, minus it being a fingerprint magnet. I wouldn't worry in this regard.

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys.

keepcoding

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2019
blog.keepcoding.ch

not everyone has the same expectations. I personally would not be happy with a scratched case.
quality control is important and if it is cut short then it shouldn't be the customer who pays for it.

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
We have decided that 3 tapes around the original packaging is best. Did a drop test without the carton and everything was held together nicely.

Its not the most beautiful of solutions, but who cares. Nothing is more disheartening to the backers or us when a perfectly good case gets scratched in transit.

wow... for once im glad right now i didn't receive a tracking yet then....

• Haha
Reactions: ARC1T3CT

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
The quality is exactly as good as the samples, it is very dependent on which camera you use. In reality the case doesn’t look “grainy” at all and the finish is very smooth. Take a look at our high-resolution photos here:
Phone cameras do way to much over sharpening etc. I’m 100% sure the surface finish is the best in the industry.
BEST QC EVER

Thank you for uploading the details. I was completely relieved.

Reactions: beerbuddha

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Yes we are repackaging every case right now. This shouldn’t be needed as the inserts hold the case very well and I think the affected backer is one of the extremely unlucky ones where the package was handled more roughly than standard. Whichever the case, all going out from today are secured more.
How much of a delay should we expect before packages begin leaving the factory again?

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
@AlexTzone I just got an idea, when all shipments from batch 1 are completed, you should send out an email to all backers/June pre-orders with a link to a survey asking questions about the condition they recieved their case in, condition of the packaging, opinions on the case, their thoughts on any improvements for the future, etc. Would be a great tool to help refine the manufacturing/shipping process and improve future batches!! The more data you can collect the better!

YdderMkIV

Chassis Packer
Mar 10, 2020
I’ll get back in detail on smallfx-situation tomorrow, the thing there that surprised me badly was the silver nick (albeit very small), since we scrap stuff that has marks during production. Plastic/magnet parts need to be glued better in the future, but it’s a very easy fix with any super glue. We had to hard constraints on the factory with overflow for panels, it’s my fault, they should have been able to use more glue from the start (fixed after about half of Stealth was assembled). I’ve experienced the problem first hand and after gluing them with Loctite they sit really really hard and I extract the core a LOT.

But yes we’ve shipped out ALL dark to US today. We calculated this way we would be able to ship the most cases the fastest, since Dark was finished and all.
where/when can we expect a tracking number? I haven't seen anything (Dark, USA) yet