mITX boards with TB3

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
What mITX boards are available with Thunderbolt 3 ?

It was a pretty sparse field this time last year - has anything new come along that you know of ? Why TB3 needs ? - all the daisy chaining that can happen is just plain convenient

Thanks for any heads up.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm not sure about any others, ASRock Z390M Phantom Gaming ITX does, although it's called at 4x pcie Lane

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Thx.

Its only 20 Gb/s TB3 (is that 2 lanes of PCIe 3) and only DP 1.2

It seems this all moves so slowly. Here's hoping something gets announced next week at the show.

I wonder why TB3 has been all but shunned by the mITX board makers ?

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Thx.

Its only 20 Gb/s TB3 (is that 2 lanes of PCIe 3) and only DP 1.2

It seems this all moves so slowly. Here's hoping something gets announced next week at the show.

I wonder why TB3 has been all but shunned by the mITX board makers ?
I suppose because they are intended for desktop machines which are able to make use of these features via onboard IO, this may not be true and it may be unnecessary as there is a market for full bandwidth TB3 on Mini ITX boards but I don't think it's a big enough market to invest the R&D to bring it to market.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
What mITX boards are available with Thunderbolt 3 ?

It was a pretty sparse field this time last year - has anything new come along that you know of ? Why TB3 needs ? - all the daisy chaining that can happen is just plain convenient

Thanks for any heads up.

I couldn’t find a mitx with TB3 (PCIEx4 / 40gb/s) despite a lot of searching. A couple at 20gb/s but that’s not great for an eGPU, which was my use case.

They exist at ATX level

Last edited:

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I couldn’t find a mitx with TB3 (PCIEx4 / 40gb/s) despite a lot of searching. A couple at 20gb/s but that’s not great for an eGPU, which was my use case.

They exist at ATX level

That would be my use case also. If any brand i would imagine would be first to market this would be ASROCK.

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Gotta wonder why they only supply 20 gb/s though. I agree if anyone does it will be ASROCK ...but they have already given us 20 gb/s once so there has to be a reason. Surely it's not the extra $2.00 it would cost them?

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
It looks very nice and won’t be cheap. It’s that fan on the VRMs that concerns me, and right next to the PCIe 4 X16 socket. I imagine people will be swapping out that VRM fan and making cooling modifications quite quickly- I could be wrong and it will be an excellent fan but I can’t help but think that it will actually be straight out of a FlexATX manufactured by screemingfansRUS. We won't know until they are in the wild though.

Would still probably buy it though, the Thunderbird 3 answers a lot of questions.

toomanyboxes

space man spiff
May 27, 2019
Short update - the Asrock ITX TB3 board fits my Ghost S1 with zero issues. The selection of CPU coolers is slim, Asrock says the L12S fits, i tried but I do not see how. Not a show stopper for me since I have resigned myself to AIOs for the 3900x but maybe it will save someone else some headaches.

indeed !

Except it looks like it wont fit in my Ghost S1

Reactions: CountNoctua

BillyBob

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Thats great news ! My Ghost project stalled waiting for this board and the 32GB Ram modules.....and the 3900x.

Close now, so close......