Discussion Sanity check: Poor mans Porsche

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
So I need a bit of a sanity check: Over the course of this year, I still havent found time to rebuild / upgrade my intermediate system with the SF750 and GPU. Which means I've been running a vastly oversized system WITHOUT GPU for nearly a year. I certainly like to play games once in a while, or at least plan to, but my main focus is everything but games: Web / Software Development, Audio Editing, DJing, Streaming etc.

After thinking about how to get the Mesh-mATX done while having proper cooling solutions (read it up on my build thread linked below in the signature), I still was wondering if its really required to .. do so? And things like really really smol sized builds, with just a simple CPU, medium-sized GPU, sandwich style in a Velka 3 or similar-sized case .. its addictive. One pondering was to go with an mATX Open Case build, another thought, that got stuck, is: Why have a GPU sitting in the case in the first place?

To continue on this thought: The GPU could sit in a separate case, and would only be used when needed. Hence, Thunderbolt 3/4, but also: A long riser caple to be attached and de-attached when required. And the main system consisting only of a CPU + PSU + AIO / custom loop. With this, even a 280 mm radiator might be doable.

Spec-wise, we're talking about either my existing 13700k, or a 13900k with a PL set to eg. 200W, 64+ GB RAM, 2x NVMe SSDs (both Firecuda).

Cases I already dug up, that would "do", because I actually do want to become more mobile again (exemplary choice):

- A4-SFX
- S400
- K49
- Zalman M2 Mini
- etc.

TL;DR: Do you think this would be a feasable, doable thing? Esp. using a riser cable instead of going TB3/4? Although IDK about the wear-and-tear with Riser connectors ..maybe Oculink, if its even applicable / available ..?

Or should I stick to TB3/4 to play it safe?

cu, w0lf.