Mini STX Hackintosh dev box

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
This build will be mainly for web development and other programming, plus some light gaming on the side. Since retiring my very old MacBook a few months ago, I haven't been using Mac OS and am very much used to the workflow for programming there. I plan to make a dual-boot Hackintosh and Windows PC with Sierra or High Sierra.

The notable features will (of course) be how small the computer will be. I will be using a Mini STX motherboard with an Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU (using the integrated graphics) in a custom case that will also house a single 2.5" hard drive *and* an entire power supply. My goal size will be similar to a Zotac Zbox Nano (a bit bigger in width/length to fit the mobo), 15cm x 15cm x 5cm. That is just 1.12 liters, and remember the PSU will be inside too!

For now here's the list of parts I'll be using (not all are set in stone):

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H110MSTX-HD3
CPU: Skylake or Kaby Lake i5
RAM: 2x4GB 2400Mhz DDR4
GPU: HD 530/630 (integrated)
SSD: Samsung Evo 2.5" 250GB
PSU: Mean Well EPP-150-12
Cooler: Coolsolte ultra-thin 21mm
Case: custom

Here is the parts layout I'm planning to use. The PSU area is in orange, and SSD in blue.

I'm not sure yet what materials the case will be made of. It may be possible that I would like to make a production run of the case after testing, but for now it's a one-off so this build is in the Build Logs section.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtd871

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I love this Gigabyte board... I don't like the ASRock.

I saw your Mac Mini mod using this board, turned out great.

Looks like I will be holding out for a different board since it's looking more possible to have Ryzen on mini STX.