Apple II Floppy Hackintosh I7-7700 3.6Ghz

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Using an old Apple ][ Floppy drive as a case, I removed the guts and used these parts to rebuild it:
  • Gigabyte Mini-STX motherboard GA-H110MSTX-HD3 (5x5 inches)
  • CPU: i7-7700 (non-K version), 3.6Ghz quad core with Hyperthreading
  • RAM: 2x16Gb SODIMM DDR4-2400
  • SSD: 250Gb WD-Blue M.2
  • Wifi/BT: From a Lenovo donor Laptop NGFF
  • Speakers from an unknown donor laptop
  • IR Sensor from donor Macbook
  • SuperDrive from donor Macbook
I saw the original Mac Mini Core Solo (1.5GHz) put inside the Apple II floppy drive (2009, Charles Mangin), but I wanted more horsepower. Some parts from the guts were re-used, mainly the front part of the cast aluminum drive frame, to hold the front faceplate on. Fully working DVD slot load replaces the old floppy mechanism for a retro feel. No PCI slot, so onboard Intel HD 630 graphics are the only option (I tried M.2 to PCI adapters but no luck). HDMI and DP output (VGA does not work on Hackintosh).

Last thing to do is try to get headphone/mic jacks to the rear panel, but HDMI audio to a monitor/TV is good enough sound for now.

Lots more pics posted on Instructables dot com, just search for floppy hackintosh.
[moderator: remove if cross posting is not allowed. https://www.instructables.com/id/Apple-II-Floppy-Hackintosh-I7-7700-36Ghz/ ]

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I always loved those 5.25" floppy drives, especially the Apple and the Commodore ones.

Can't find a cheap one that I could turn into a retro style computer or audio amplifier.

Great job on this dude.

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Great modding. What is that top rear blower fan for? The exhaust?
Yes, the top rear blower is for exhaust. When pushing the cpu, it can get warm in that box, and the CPU cooler only spreads it out, non directional. I have found a 1U side exhaust cooler that I may replace it with.

phunguss

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Oct 19, 2018
Bottom of the motherboard to top of RAM SODIMM is about 1.35 inches, with standard 0.25 inch motherboard offsets makes it about 1.6 inches off the bottom plate. If you have a low profile CPU cooler, it will be lower than the ram.