Concept Mini-STX cases for dedicated GPUs

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Nice to still see some interest in this case idea. For now it's still in a design and concept stage but the biggest step to prove this idea through is to buy a mini STX board. However with my APU upgrade also stalled for budget reasons it won't be easy trying to make purchases for two motherboards at the same time.

Because of that, I will dust off the old designs and get some price estimates for the case parts, especially the frame.

I have an accurate STX 3D model from Shappire.

Reactions: CC Ricers and Jello

CaptainSlobbish

Efficiency Noob
Aug 19, 2019
This would be perfect if they come out with a mini-stx amd board with pci-e 4.0 support to the m2 slot. pcie 4.0 x4 is equivalent to pcie 3.0 x8 in terms of bandwidth. Wouldn't have to worry about pci link speed holding back your performance at that point.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The yet to be released zotac magnus 2070v at 2.65L really sets the imagination loose of what could be.
Yep, I've seen that one. Still has the same nice small console form factor as its predecessors, though it needs MXM cards to do so.

Today's top end cards don't even cross half of the limit of PCIe 3.0 bandwidth so we still have plenty of headroom for GPUs. The PCIe bus is tested more by the high end SSDs than anything else.

Also right now this is not an ongoing project, but given how niche it is, this would probably be done on a made-to-order basis.

CaptainSlobbish

Efficiency Noob
Aug 19, 2019
Gotcha thanks for the reply. It seems that the pcie form factor is now holding back systems with its large size when there are other much smaller connection standards out there.