Stalled A 1.5L Mini-STX case

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Introduction:

Hi everyone! This is a project I've been working on for a while now. It is heavily inspired by Henry.Z's Mk1 but houses a mini-STX motherboard and two 2.5 inch SATA drive. The chassis is designed to be holding something like a NAS or a download machine, which are likely not connected to a monitor and will be controlled remotely via AMT or other remote access programs.

Case details:

Height: 180mm
Length: 152mm (without stand)
Width: 56mm (without stand)
Volume: 1.53L
Material: Mainly consist of 13mm Aluminum and 3mm Aluminum panels
Side panel: 2mm acrylic or tempered glass

Hardware support:

Motherboard: Any current STX motherboard except Asus H110S2 due to the dual Ethernet port
CPU heatsink: Any heatsinks that are lower than 30mm in height. They will be cooled by 3 40mmx20mm fans located at the bottom of the case.
Hard drive: 2x 2.5inch SATA drive
GPU: N/A

Additional Information:

A 20x2 LCD/VFD screen can be mounted above the motherboard to display useful information such as temperature, downloading progress and much more. Any screen that can be recognized by AIDA64 can be used here.

That's all I have for now :) Since it is Chinese New Year now, I can't really have any prototype made. I will update this thread as design changes. Stay tuned for more!

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Hi, nice work bro, really! Looks beautiful.
Just 1 question: why does it only support 30mm cpu coler height, when the case width is 56mm? Is it because of the 13mm aluminum panel? If yes, why not change it to 3mm aluminum (still feels very solid), and get an extra centimeter for clearance? That would give better airflow and less turbulance on the cpu cooler.
Cheers.

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hi, nice work bro, really! Looks beautiful.
Just 1 question: why does it only support 30mm cpu coler height, when the case width is 56mm? Is it because of the 13mm aluminum panel? If yes, why not change it to 3mm aluminum (still feels very solid), and get an extra centimeter for clearance? That would give better airflow and less turbulance on the cpu cooler.
Cheers.
The two 2.5 inches hard drive are located behind the motherboard :p

Reactions: BernardoZ

zanduh

Trash Compacter
Jan 15, 2018
What is the clearance for the sata cables for both getting behind the motherboard and between the drives and the rear panel?