Motherboard Mini-DTX petition thread!

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
True, but those cases are still a small minority of the ITX case market. Plus like you said, it's very, very dependent on motherboard/BIOS/driver support.

Then we need a petition to generalize PCIe bifurcation !
It seems indeed standard practice for servers, why not for consumer products ??

At least you are sure to run both GPUs at 8x (instead of 16x and 4x).

Once again we can thank Asrock for being the only adventurous manufacturer out there.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I've wanted a 2 slot board for ages, the Biostar H61 and H81 in that size seemed OK, but not high enough spec and not (from experience) a top tier manufacturer.
Bring them on, you have my vote
I'd be happy with a PCIe1x and 16x slot, but Z chipset please, decent audio, M.2 and on board wifi / wifi slot.
PCIe 16x and a better 2nd slot (4x or 8x in full length) would be perfect.
Lots of cases would accept these, and it would make my own plans even better.

Popstar

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2016
What I really want is a FlexATX (229 x 191) to replace microATX. It would be a much better middle ground between ATX and mini-ITX.

Reactions: dtallon13

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
What I really want is a FlexATX (229 x 191) to replace microATX. It would be a much better middle ground between ATX and mini-ITX.
Problem is, it wouldn't fit in most mini-ITX cases, while mini-DTX does. You could only use it in mATX cases, which defeats the point.

Reactions: dtallon13

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Why stop at 2?

Popstar

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2016
Problem is, it wouldn't fit in most mini-ITX cases, while mini-DTX does. You could only use it in mATX cases, which defeats the point.
If no-one was making mATX boards anymore, I assume people would also stop making mATX cases and instead make them for whatever the replacement was. It's not going to happen of course, but neither is mini-DTX.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
If you are talking to MB people could you please tell them that four SO-DIMM sockets instead of two DIMM would make a billion times more sense on an ITX board?

This please. I just don't see the need for full size DIMM anymore.

I do understand that higher quality RAM (better timings, ECC) is only offered in full size. But I think those benefits are overated? We're no longer in an age where RAM timings can net you a significant performance advantage. In all of the latest "RAM performance" articles I've read there is maybe ... 2% ? of performance to eek out between the bottom-barrel RAM and top.

SO-DIMM makes me happy.

Reactions: jtd871

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
This please. I just don't see the need for full size DIMM anymore.

I do understand that higher quality RAM (better timings, ECC) is only offered in full size. But I think those benefits are overated? We're no longer in an age where RAM timings can net you a significant performance advantage. In all of the latest "RAM performance" articles I've read there is maybe ... 2% ? of performance to eek out between the bottom-barrel RAM and top.

SO-DIMM makes me happy.

I think the research recently has proven otherwise. At work, but this article summarizes findings on ram speeds yielding performance boosts: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/highspeed-ddr4-shown-to-improve-in-game-performance/ - they quote this article.