Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
@Wahaha360 regarding your dilemma of having the fan mount/frame visible through the mesh why not shift the frame 25 mm backwards then it can be sandwiched between the fans and radiator with no visible frame at all. Good luck can't wait till launch/review of the case.

Think about the assembly and extra material involved in that. It would probably increase the price by another $20 and this case is designed to be mass produced, I agree it would be good aesthetically and add ridgity but you have to draw a line in budget.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Wahaha360 regarding your dilemma of having the fan mount/frame visible through the mesh why not shift the frame 25 mm backwards then it can be sandwiched between the fans and radiator with no visible frame at all. Good luck can't wait till launch/review of the case.

Doing so makes installing other components and cable mgmt more difficult.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I'm hopefully going to use ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280... death to rgb! :D

Don't buy it yet, it is my understanding that the Arctic Liquid Freezer II series are too thick for the Mesh-Licious...

Maximum 30mm rad plus 25mm fans is what the chassis is designed for; the Arctic unit has a 38mm thick rad & 27mm thick fans, for a total thickness of 65mm...?

Reactions: DrHudacris

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I emailed EK and they said there will be a 280mm AIO coming out soon ! Waiting on that to replace my 240

Yeah, W360 made allusions to newer / better 280 AIOs coming out; the only new 280 AIOs I see out / coming out are the beQuiet! Pure Loop 280 AIO & the (forthcoming) 280 EK-AIO...

Hoping Optimum Tech covers one of the two (or maybe even both?) in his (also forthcoming) video for the Mesh-Licious...!

I am kinda leaning towards the EK unit for that extra RGB bling...! ;^p LOLZ...

Seriously though, I would just keep the RGB to a static red...

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
Based just on what I've seen from OT during last series of sff cases he will most likely not cover any AIO at all, insteady going to do a custom loop...

edit: if he covers any AIO it's going to be Kraken

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Based just on what I've seen from OT during last series of sff cases he will most likely not cover any AIO at all, insteady going to do a custom loop...

Man, I really hope that is not the case...!

Custom loops are cool, but not everyone can afford one, nor can everyone assemble one...!

I feel the proper way to review these SFF cases is step-by-step...

First do what the majority of users will do, AIO on the CPU & big ol' honkin' AIB GPU...!

Follow-up videos can be for custom loops; and hey, you just increased the amount of videos you can get out of one chassis...!

And giving us an initial Mesh-Licious video with a 280 AIO on the CPU & a huge air-cooled AIB GPU will also give us realistic temps & noise levels from the chassis...!

I cannot make a decision on usage of the chassis if the only temps I can get are from a review of a full custom loop in the system...!?!

@Wahaha360 , if you have any say in how OT does the Mesh-Licious video, please have him start with AIO on CPU & AIB GPU...!!! This is probably the use case that most end users will go for, so it would make for a video the majority can get useful information from...!!!

edit: if he covers any AIO it's going to be Kraken

It is my understanding that the NZXT software is kinda crap...?

And I would hope OT does not constantly favor the Kraken AIOs because he is actually sponsored by NZXT in some way...? That would make for a highly biased view of AIOs if all one can recommend are the sponsors AIOs...?!?

Which would be a shame, as OT is one of the few channels where one can find info on cooling solutions for SFF-specific cases...

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
[R=10]@Wahaha360[/USER] , if you have any say in how OT does the Mesh-Licious video, please have him start with AIO on CPU & AIB GPU...!!! This is probably the use case that most end users will go for, so it would make for a video the majority can get useful information from...!!!

And I would hope OT does not constantly favor the Kraken AIOs because he is actually sponsored by NZXT in some way...? That would make for a highly biased view of AIOs if all one can recommend are the sponsors AIOs...?!?

Which would be a shame, as OT is one of the few channels where one can find info on cooling solutions for SFF-specific cases...

IMHO OT normally tries configurations he thinks make sense/logical options, it comes accross that he is a one man band and not as influencial as say jay2cents, paul, bitwit or GN (I mean in general not just SFF) so he probably isnt sent samples of all AIO and it's a bit unfair to think he has to:
A) buy all the mainsteam AIO
B) test all that will fit on the case

I can't think of any channels which consistantly test different AIO of the same size during a case review?

I mean he HAS to use certain equipment/parts each time or it'd be difficult to compare thermal dynamics that the case creates, surely?

I've also never seen him review a case specifically with a custom loop, he normally explores air/aio cooling first before trying to refine the best possible solution?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
IMHO OT normally tries configurations he thinks make sense/logical options, it comes accross that he is a one man band and not as influencial as say jay2cents, paul, bitwit or GN (I mean in general not just SFF) so he probably isnt sent samples of all AIO and it's a bit unfair to think he has to:
A) buy all the mainsteam AIO
B) test all that will fit on the case

I can't think of any channels which consistantly test different AIO of the same size during a case review?

I mean he HAS to use certain equipment/parts each time or it'd be difficult to compare thermal dynamics that the case creates, surely?

I've also never seen him review a case specifically with a custom loop, he normally explores air/aio cooling first before trying to refine the best possible solution?

I never said I expected OT to go out & buy all of the 280 AIOs to test in Mesh-Licious...

I clearly stated that I would like to see the two recently released / forthcoming 280 AIOs tested... Because I have to make a decision on a 280 AIO & would like more chassis-specific info than a test bench review of assorted AIOs (like one would get over at GN)...

( ...which is why I also asked W360 which 280 AIO he feels is best for the chassis... )

Now I have @Luke NK saying OT would most likely test a custom loop first (which really makes no sense, because that is not what most who purchase this chassis will do right away); and you, @Kit , saying he would go air / AIO cooling first...?

And I clearly said I feel AIO on CPU & honkin' big air-cooled AIB GPU would be the most common usage of, and the best initial set-up to test, for this chassis...

The trend I have seen with Optimum Tech & his SFF chassis reviews:

Start with air-cooling or an AIO on the CPU, and an air-cooled GPU (reference or AIB)...

If air-cooled CPU was first, then a switch to an AIO on the CPU...

Then he would get into custom loops, and then dual radiator custom loops...

And there have been videos where he compares a wide range of cooling (all air / AIO & air / all custom loop) in the same chassis; the NCASE M1 videos come to mind...?

Reactions: Kit and DrHudacris

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
Man, I really hope that is not the case...!

Custom loops are cool, but not everyone can afford one, nor can everyone assemble one...!

I feel the proper way to review these SFF cases is step-by-step...

First do what the majority of users will do, AIO on the CPU & big ol' honkin' AIB GPU...!

Follow-up videos can be for custom loops; and hey, you just increased the amount of videos you can get out of one chassis...!

And giving us an initial Mesh-Licious video with a 280 AIO on the CPU & a huge air-cooled AIB GPU will also give us realistic temps & noise levels from the chassis...!

I cannot make a decision on usage of the chassis if the only temps I can get are from a review of a full custom loop in the system...!?!

@Wahaha360 , if you have any say in how OT does the Mesh-Licious video, please have him start with AIO on CPU & AIB GPU...!!! This is probably the use case that most end users will go for, so it would make for a video the majority can get useful information from...!!!

I love optimum tech, and I'm also going to throw Tech buyers guru in there as well. He has an SFF bend and also does a lot of cooler and fan testing in actual SFF cases and not an open bench. Some good content on his channel!

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
@Boil @Kit Just look at how the reviews of the T1 went already: only custom loops so far. No tests of air build, just showing an AIO with an air cooled GPU and no tests of these either, only a few seconds image in a video which is actually aimed at the custom loop build. Each time he shows an AIO he uses NZXT Kraken mostly.

I'm just saying based on latests videos of important cases what's more likely to happen. He is more focused on gaming content now and it just sucks that his builds aim mostly at the hardcore enthusiast showing mostly expensive custom loops.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and he delivers a decent video of a stock GPU + 280 AIO, that would make more sense now that we have big GPUs which are actually decent in terms of noise like gaming x trio and TUF

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
@Boil @Kit Just look at how the reviews of the T1 went already: only custom loops so far. No tests of air build, just showing an AIO with an air cooled GPU and no tests of these either, only a few seconds image in a video which is actually aimed at the custom loop build. Each time he shows an AIO he uses NZXT Kraken mostly.

I'm just saying based on latests videos of important cases what's more likely to happen. He is more focused on gaming content now and it just sucks that his builds aim mostly at the hardcore enthusiast showing mostly expensive custom loops.

Of course I hope I'm wrong and he delivers a decent video of a stock GPU + 280 AIO, that would make more sense now that we have big GPUs which are actually decent in terms of noise like gaming x trio and TUF

It's for this reason that I'm surprised he didn't just keep the GPU air-cooled and undervolted to keep fan noise and temps down in his T1 build. Sure, it's not a shiny custom loop, but with cards like the 3090 TUF, it's definitely better than throwing out such a big heatsink to add tubing to a singular 240mm rad.

Either way, I hope he goes with a simple 280mm rad on the ML to start then proceeds to more custom builds.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think Optimum Tech will probably test this case the same as he tested the Cooler Master NR200, he tested both a tower cooler and AIO (Kraken X62). If you look at his custom loops they are usually for his personal builds, I don't see him switching cases.

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
I never said I expected OT to go out & buy all of the 280 AIOs to test in Mesh-Licious...

I clearly stated that I would like to see the two recently released / forthcoming 280 AIOs tested... Because I have to make a decision on a 280 AIO & would like more chassis-specific info than a test bench review of assorted AIOs (like one would get over at GN)...

( ...which is why I also asked W360 which 280 AIO he feels is best for the chassis... )

Now I have @Luke NK saying OT would most likely test a custom loop first (which really makes no sense, because that is not what most who purchase this chassis will do right away); and you, @Kit , saying he would go air / AIO cooling first...?

And I clearly said I feel AIO on CPU & honkin' big air-cooled AIB GPU would be the most common usage of, and the best initial set-up to test, for this chassis...

The trend I have seen with Optimum Tech & his SFF chassis reviews:

Start with air-cooling or an AIO on the CPU, and an air-cooled GPU (reference or AIB)...

If air-cooled CPU was first, then a switch to an AIO on the CPU...

Then he would get into custom loops, and then dual radiator custom loops...

And there have been videos where he compares a wide range of cooling (all air / AIO & air / all custom loop) in the same chassis; the NCASE M1 videos come to mind...?

You typed: And I would hope OT does not constantly favor the Kraken AIOs because he is actually sponsored by NZXT in some way...? That would make for a highly biased view of AIOs if all one can recommend are the sponsors AIOs...?!?

I explained my logic for why he uses one brand consistently, I'm not criticizing your point of view man as in this day and age it is easily possible he is sponsored by Nzxt or at least the samples might have been sent for free

Custom loop is definitely not the norm for his initial review style, he normally explores it later with additional content, I've not watched the T1 review yet so i'll have a look when I get home

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
The M1 type of reviews are long gone, just hoping they come back.

Anyways this week we should hear news about mesh-liscious!!! I'm constantly checking this thread

edit: lol as soon as I sent my post news are here!

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Looking very clean!

That said, cost aside, I wonder if the huge storage and 4-slot GPU support is enough of a reason to go for a 15L case over something like a C4 that's 3L smaller.

Also interested to see how much of the above transfers over to the P1.

Guess what case is best will - as usual - depend on the user.

Last edited:

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
I think 4 slot gpu is just derived from aiming at supporting harwarelabs radiators which are wider than average.

I'm wondering just how portable and backpack-able this is! hope we could see some pics of the case inside a backpack some time, and if so just how big the backpack would need to be