Matias' P2 - A Dan A4-sfx build and modding log

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
So my Asetek 545lc arrived, but it turned out that I had forgotten to order a mounting bracket :(

So after ordering that, I got to building! This part was MUCH more challenging that I'd thought! It took me close to 10 hours to get it assembled!

Things I've learned this time:

1) The Dan case a4-sfx, asus strix gtx 1080 and asetek 545lc are NOT compatible! As you can see, I had to raise the gpu and still then it touches the tubes coming out from the AIO.

2) DO NOT custom sleeve the cables in your dan a4-sfx if you have any plans of having a radiator in there! It was pretty much impossible to fit it in there... Took close to 10 hours o_O And even then, I'm pretty sure that the fan's airflow is something like 60% blocked!

Reactions: Acalanata

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
So I decided that the misaligned holes just didn't cut it, so I took off to my grandparents to do some modding!

Here I changed...

...the stock PCIe riser to a black one which I had lying around.

...the colour of the noctua fan to black.

And then to finish it off, I gave the case a fresh paintjob and took some nice photos with a real DSLR :)

Reactions: Acalanata and D10S

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Wow, that cutout is nice, what did you use to make it that clean and to make those nice curves? The build is super clean all together, very nice

D10S

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 4, 2018
Great job !!!
Your grandparent rocks !!! :thumb:
I like the noctua cage !
What about paint, it's hard to do? XD

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Great job !!!
Your grandparent rocks !!! :thumb:
I like the noctua cage !
What about paint, it's hard to do? XD
Thanks and yes they do! They pretty much let me use all of their tools and their entire workshop! :)

The case: no
The fan: no... But I broke my fan by following a guide for the nf-f12... Turns out they're not constructed the same way :/ Managed to make it work again, but the bottom broke and some things went a little loose. If you're gonna do it, just take the fan blades off and mask off all electronics you can find. That's how simple it is!
And again, JUST take the fan blades off, taking the circuit board off will break the casing!

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
The CPU is delidded now! Before I almost wasn't able to overclock it, now I hit 4600 MHz on my i7-6700k at 1.35 volts! That's a bit hot though, so I put it back to 4 GHz at 1.15v where it sits nicely at 50-60 degrees celsius!

Also added some sick rbg strips which really make the build ...*clicks with tongue*... pop!

Kinda wish I'd done that earlier so something like these pictures were the pictures which dan had gotten...

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
So... My G-unique came! The case looks sooooooo empty now! Also, now that I have my sf600 out of the case, I decided to hand-lace all all the cables, because I'd never tried it, and it would increase the value of the PSU when I was going to sell it again! Damn it was worth it! Almost makes me wanna put the sf600 into the a4-sfx again

Xavi3R

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
@rosinbole I'm sorry but I have to ask,
I am reading the article and looking at the images again and again and still can't figure out how you managed to sit the card on the pcie riser.
I am waiting on my dan case and have a 1080ti strix with a 645 asetek aio.
The depth I can bypass by a 3d printed spacer for the dan case, the screws I see the extensions you used but the unscrewed pci riser at the base did you drill new holes on the case higher that the stock setup ?

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
@Xavi3R

The Riser is not screwed in, and is sitting ~8mm higher than usual, with the GPU being screwed down on top of two 8mm standoffs put in the normal GPU mounting holes. In the other end (front) to keep it from flapping around when I moved the case, it was secured by keeping the cables tight all the way down to the PSU so the only way the card could move was closer to the PSU - which didn't matter of course.

Edit: Was this the answer you were looking for? Else, just try to explain again. :)

Reactions: Xavi3R

Xavi3R

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2019
Ah it does thank you. I somehow thought you managed to secure it to the case but apparently the cards size with the small case and cables from psu are enough to hold it from moving. When the case arrives I am thinking of trying to drill 2 small holes higher to screw the riser to the base, or bad idea?

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Ah it does thank you. I somehow thought you managed to secure it to the case but apparently the cards size with the small case and cables from psu are enough to hold it from moving. When the case arrives I am thinking of trying to drill 2 small holes higher to screw the riser to the base, or bad idea?

No bad idea necessarily, just make sure you can drill Them precisely enough that everything fits, and that you are able tap the right thread in the hole afterwards. Otherwise I bet you could get away with 3D printing an adapter piece which screws into the old holes and ends in such a way what the PCIe riser can be mounted appropriately higher.

Also no, the cables aren't the only thing holding it, it's screwed to the case in the back as in a normal situation. That alone would've probably been fine, but I didn't like that the GPU could love ourwards a bit, so that's what I used the cables for :)

Reactions: Xavi3R

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
I found this that might help if it fits: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3689370
but it raises it 14mm as opposed to the around 8mm you have it raised.
Is there enough room for this card and the psu cables in your case when raised around 14mm?

Sadly I can't tell you as this build has been long gone for a quite some time, and my brother took the case off my hands some months ago.

I don't remember how tight of a fit I had under the top of the case with the GPU raised, but you could always try it out, that can't take long to print :)