Newbie needs advice for upcoming Dan A4-SFX build

Tarref_Pac

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 29, 2019
Hi

Since I decided to use a SFF-pc as future gaming rig I have been reading here in the forums in order to prepare for my first build (ever). This is my first post here, so be gentle ;-).

I will be using the system mainly for gaming: mostly strategy games like Civilization, Age of wonders: Planetfall, Europa Universalis, Cities Skylines, ... and some indie games which obviously don't require crazy refresh rates and insane graphic power. I will be gaming on a new monitor, probably a BenQ PD2500Q, a 25" IPS screen with a resolution of 2560x1440 and refresh rate of 60Hz.

I am looking for a balanced system: good performance (but nothing crazy) on a reasonable budget. With my (very limited) knowledge, I will not be overclocking anything.

I have already purchased a Dan A4-SFX and an Asetek 645LT AIO. After a lot of reading I am thinking to use the following components:

- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Boxed (TDP = 65 W)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570 I PRO WIFI (Mini-ITX size, AM4-socket, WiFi 6-network adaptor)
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 (16 GB, reduced height, high frequency should work well with AMD-processor).
- GPU Asus Turbo GeForce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Evo (should be enough for high settings on choosen monitor, blower-style GPU, dual slot, 26.8x11.3x4 centimeter)
- PSU: Corsair SF600 80 Plus Platinum (calculated theoretical power for system = 350 to 400 W)
- SSD: Corsair Force MP510 1,92TB (M2, no cables, higher speed)

I am still unsure about the following issues:

- Is the RAM a good choice? There are so many sets to choose from and differences are not always clear to me.
- Is a PSU of 600 W a good choice or should 450 W suffice?
- I have read the manual of the case several times and watched quite some build logs. It is still not clear to me whether I should or need to install an additional fan (Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, 92mm?). If yes, do I install this under the motherboard?
- I understand that using custom cabling would make the install easier, the build cleaner and the system run cooler. Is the DAN Cases A4-SFX 24 Pin Unsleeved Custom Cable from pslate customs (https://www.pslatecustoms.com/colle...an-cases-a4-sfx-24-pin-unsleeved-custom-cable) enough? Is it wise to invest in some (or all?) of the other custom cabling offered by pslate customs for the Dan A4-SFX?

I am aware these are probably newbie questions but advice from knowledgeable forum members would be very much appreciated before purchasing these items and beginning my build.

My eternal gratitude will be yours ... ;-)