DAN A4-SFX v2

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Hi smallformfactors,

I wanted to take the liberty to show some pictures of my DAN A4-SFX v2 build, which was an upgrade (with new internal components) over my previous "v1 version" of the same case.

There's a v3 of the case around the corner, but I think I'll go for the Louqe Ghost S1 for my next build - but that's stuff for a future thread.

These are the internal components.
  • Dan A4-SFX v2
  • Intel Core i7-8700K Boxed
  • Asus ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming
  • Asus GeForce GTX 1080Ti Turbo
  • Asetek 545LC
  • Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, 92mm
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2D3200C16
  • Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
  • Corsair SF600
  • Corsair Premium PSU Cable kit
Other peripherals are:
  • Logitech Brio 4K Ultra HD
  • TP-Link USB 3.0 7-Port Hub
  • HP Omen X 35 Black
  • Audioengine A2+ Black
  • Logitech G Pro (Qwerty)
  • Logitech Pro Gaming Mouse
  • Logitech G840 XL Gaming Mouse Pad
  • Logitech G933 Black
  • Oculus Touch Black
  • Oculus Rift

Installing the motherboard is a piece of cake. Installing the Asetek 545LC with the Noctua fan too.

But then the challenges started.
Because of the SFF-size of the DAN A4-SFX, there's not a whole lot of room to route the ATX cables decently. I first tried routing them between the motherboard and the center plate of the case, but the retention bracket of the Asetek 545LC didn't leave much room.

I tried installing the motherboard with higher standoffs, but that didn't work. I like to have the backplate installed too, and the connectors were too skewed.

So then just route the ATX cables from the CPU side to the GPU side. I needed the space on the CPU side to have enough room for the tubes of the Asetek 545LC.

This is how the cables exited on the GPU side. I could then only hope that there was enough room between the Noctua fan and the GTX1080Ti...

And there was!

It is as if they were made for each other. The space between the Noctua and the GTX1080Ti is exactly the height of 1 ATX cable.

After a bit of fiddling I was able to tuck away the ATX cables decently enough.

Meanwhile on the CPU side of the case I was able to mount the Asetek 545LC on the i7 8700K without any issues.

View from the CPU and top-side, you can see the tubes of the Asetek 545LC protruding the case, I wasn't sure I could install the sidepanel on that side.

But my fear was unneeded, there is enough clearance to install the side panel, phew!

Old delidded 7700K on the left, new not-yet-delidded 8700K on the right.

I didn't delid my 8700K yet, I first wanted to see the performance of the Asetek 545LC.

These are the temperatures after a lengthy Quake Champions session at 3840x1440 100Hz ultra quality. Not too shabby at all, obviously these aren't the best temperatures available, but all well within the thermal limits of all components.

As you can see on the screenshot, the GPU and CPU termperatures were decent enough, but the M.2 NVMe Samsung SSD ran very hot. Upon investigating I thought this might come from the lack of airflow around the chipset on the motherboard - a normal air cooler will let some air flow there, but the Asetek AIO has no fan there.

So I used a M2 standoff and placed a Noctua 40mm fan right on top of the heatsink of the SSD and underlying chipset. SSD is now at an acceptable 49°C after a lengthy game session.

A little while later DAN made a Window Kit template available so we can create our own custom plexiglass sidepanels.
Designing these based on the template and have them laser-cut wasn't to difficult, I even created a guide for fellow A4-SFX builders: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6ke15b3zoq5qj6/DAN A4-SFX Window Kit Custom Plexiglass Design.pdf?dl=0

I went to two iterations of my designs, the first batch was 100% clear Acryl plexi glass which wasn't too bad, but the second batch which was "smoked" was a lot nicer.

First batch at the top, second batch at the bottom.

Needless to say I was very happy with these plexiglass designs

Some "glamour" pictures of the case at an unfinished floor at work.

And to wrap this thread up, this is the most recent photo of the DAN A4-SFX v2 on my desk at home.

Thanks for reading!

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for the kind words!

(and ow hi @Matias Petersen )
(I've numbered the questions so it's easier to answer)

Amazing work!
I would love to build a pc like this but I'm a bit confused regarding the thermals and noise when it comes to the DAN case.
Some builds I see the thermals are acceptable. Other builds with similiar components have to high temperature so I'm not sure what to believe.

Since you used the watercooling option I see that you have a lot better thermals than most people.

1.But how is the noise level? Can you play on full load with the PC standing on your desk without getting disturbed?

2.To the glass panels make thermals a lot worse for the gpu since less fresh air comes inside?

I've built 2 computers throughout my life, last one was in a Node 202.

3.Would you recommend using watercooling or is it to hard for me who hasn't been doing it before?

4. You have a mini fan on the motherboard. Is that to cool the M2 drive? With the watercooling installed, there is only room for a SSD on the front of the case right?

Thanks in advance!

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
1.But how is the noise level? Can you play on full load with the PC standing on your desk without getting disturbed?

The Asetek 545LC watercooling with Noctua NF-A9x14 on it's radiator is really dead silent. When idle it's really hard to tell if the fan is running if you're not looking at it. The pump of the Asetek is also practically silent.

Under load the Asetek/Noctua combination remains silent, the only thing making noise is the fan of the GTX1080Ti Turbo. Usually that fan revs up to some 50% and you can hear it clearly - but since I usually play games using speakers or a headset I don't really notice.

2.To the glass panels make thermals a lot worse for the gpu since less fresh air comes inside?

I believe the GPU can still pull fresh air from the opening alongside all sides of the plexiglass and the aluminium sidepanel. I don't really notice any difference in GPU temperature when using the plexiglass sidepanels or the default ones.

Same thing on the CPU side: no difference in plexi or normal sidepanels - but here there is a big difference in temperature without any sidepanel. This is because the motherboard is usually cooled by excess air from the CPU Aircooler - but since the CPU is cooled by an AIO there is no airflow there (see question 4)

3.Would you recommend using watercooling or is it to hard for me who hasn't been doing it before?

It depends on what CPU you'll be using, if this is a high TDP model (like my 8700K) you'll have a hard time cooling it with a conventional air-cooler since there are only a couple of models that fit in the A4-SFX, and most of them aren't really suitable for a high-TDP CPU.

4. You have a mini fan on the motherboard. Is that to cool the M2 drive?

Yep. There is no airflow there when using an AIO. The design of the Z-370 is that the NVMe M.2 slot is directly above the Z-370 chipset, Asus even made a fairly large heatsink to mitigate the high temperatures there. But a heatsink without airflow is never optimal, hence the little 40mm Noctua. This keeps the SSD at an acceptable 50°C while without it even thermal throttled at 75°C+

With the watercooling installed, there is only room for a SSD on the front of the case right?

Yep. I don't have any 2,5 drives in my rig, only the M.2 slot on my motherboard.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
The Asetek 545LC watercooling with Noctua NF-A9x14 on it's radiator is really dead silent. When idle it's really hard to tell if the fan is running if........

Thank you for all the answers I really do appreciate it!
All and all I would love to build something similar with a glass panel. Where to go if you want to get cut outs like that?

I probably will go for a cheaper GPU and cpu so maybe I won't need the water cooling.

A few more questions if you have time :

1. Where can I do cut outs in plexiglas like that?

2. Are you using custom made psu cables? How long should they be and where did you order them?

3. If someone were to make a similar build inspired by yours: anything special to keep in mind before starting off? Anything you would have done differently?

4. Ghost S1 or Dan Case V3? And why?

Thanks in advance im really impressed by your build!

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
-snip-

A few more questions if you have time :

2. Are you using custom made psu cables? How long should they be and where did you order them?

3. If someone were to make a similar build inspired by yours: anything special to keep in mind before starting off? Anything you would have done differently?

Hey! Just gonna jump into the conversation here to roll out my opinion!

3. Yeah, be very mindful of how many wires you sleeve... I custom sleeved every single cable in my a4-sfx which resulted in each cable being almost 3mm in diameter... Literally took me 9 or 10 hours to cram the system together the first time... I'd suggest not sleeving the 24 pin cable and tugging it away the best you can, but still making it custom length so it can't be seen and focusing on the 8 pin EPS and GPU cables instead Trust me when I say it'll be much easier than what I did... Maybe not look as cool, but you'll be saving yourself a couple of sleepless nights...

4. Dan a4-sfx v3 defenately... The a4 has a MUCH better internal layout in my opinion and much greater flexibility without having to expand, and other than that, the loque ghost s1 is a tad bit larger and looks way less elegant in my opinion!

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Jun 1, 2018
Hey! Just gonna jump into the conversation here to roll out my opinion!

3. Yeah, be very mindful of how many wires you sleeve... I custom sleeved every single cable in my a4-sfx which resulted in each cable being almost 3mm in diameter... Literally took me 9 or 10 hours to cram the system together the first time... I'd suggest not sleeving the 24 pin cable and tugging it away the best you can, but still making it custom length so it can't be seen and focusing on the 8 pin EPS and GPU cables instead Trust me when I say it'll be much easier than what I did... Maybe not look as cool, but you'll be saving yourself a couple of sleepless nights...

4. Dan a4-sfx v3 defenately... The a4 has a MUCH better internal layout in my opinion and much greater flexibility without having to expand, and other than that, the loque ghost s1 is a tad bit larger and looks way less elegant in my opinion!
Thank you for helping out Matias Petersen! (Scandinavian?)

I have never made custom cables before so I would have to ask you for specific help before I order anything haha
Where would you recommend to buy cables?
Since I've never done it before Iäm a bit lost when you are talking about the 8pin etc... The 8 pins are for the gpu right?

Cool then I guess I'll be going with the Dan Case V3 eventually.
Right now I'm not in a hurry I want to wait for the next Gen graphic card (even if Nvidia say they are far away)

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Thank you for helping out Matias Petersen! (Scandinavian?)

I have never made custom cables before so I would have to ask you for specific help before I order anything haha
Where would you recommend to buy cables?
Since I've never done it before Iäm a bit lost when you are talking about the 8pin etc... The 8 pins are for the gpu right?

Cool then I guess I'll be going with the Dan Case V3 eventually.
Right now I'm not in a hurry I want to wait for the next Gen graphic card (even if Nvidia say they are far away)
Haha, yeah, Danish! ;)

I don't know if anyone makes custom length, not sleeved cables, but cablemod is always a good choice... What PSU are you going to use? An sf600 like mine?

8 pin EPS = CPU :D (don't know where the eps comes from, but many psu's use it on the 8 pin connector... Idk, you could just as well say '8 pin cpu' and everyone would understand you)
8 pin GPU = ... ... ... GPU ;)

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Glad you liked the feedback - isn't that what Forums like this are for

To answer your questions:

A while ago DAN shared the template of the plexiglass design on his website, and I used that to create this guide how to make your own designs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6ke15b3zoq5qj6/DAN A4-SFX Window Kit Custom Plexiglass Design.pdf?dl=0

Obviously you're 100% free to use that guide and don't hesitate to let me know if something isn't clear.

I don't know where you're from, I'm from Belgium and the cheapest+fastest "plexi lasercut company" I found was www.snijlab.nl in the Netherlands. They have a web interface where they do a preliminary check of your design to verify if they can make it. They ship internationally, but you might want to check the shipping costs.

It's just a tip, I don't have any affiliation with them and don't receive anything if you decide to go with them

In my v1 I used the cables that came with the Corsair SF600, but they were a bit too long. For this v2 I ordered the Corsair Premium Individually Sleeved cables pack. The ATX cables are a bit too long, but the rest of the cables (EPS, GPU) are nearly perfect in length.

https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/ACC-S...ckage-type-4-generation-3-config/p/CP-8920144

Then a little while later I wanted to go "full custom" for the cables, but decided against it, it would take a couple of days to figure everything out, and I'd rather spent that time playing games now. I'll revisit the idea of custom cables when my Ghost S1 arrives

That's a hard question ... I don't think I'd do anything different, I really like how the case and components came together.

My previous 7700K aircooled 1080 Strix build was a DAN A4-SFX v1. Then decided to go for the v2 when it came out because of it's compatibility with the Asetek 545LC. I briefly thought about buying v3 too, but the difference between the v2 and v3 is very small. A black riser cable and a compatible front USB connector don't justify the full price of a v3 for me personally.

Since it seems to take a long while before we can order that black riser and the front USB connector, I have set my mind on the Ghost S1. (that's just one of the reasons, contact with Dan is a bit... one-way, you don't always get a reply if you ask something. But when he decided not to use a photo with my custom sidepanel for the Hall of Fame competition I couldn't help myself to form my own opinion - no hard feelings whatsoever!)

The Ghost S1 is a bit bigger indeed, but that's a small price to pay when you can fit a 240mm AIO watercooling system in it using the large top hat. I already ordered the Fractal Design Celcius S24 and three Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm coolers.
Can't wait for the Ghost S1 to arrive and start building. Since I already somehow have the highest end CPU, motherboard and GPU I think I'll just move everything from the A4-SFX to the Ghost and not buy new internal components.

Thanks Don't forget to show of your rig here when you have build it

I believe the internal layout of both cases is almost 100% similar. The way I see it is: the A4-SFX is a normal case with SFF size, whereas the Ghost S1 is a completely new idea for a case, you build around the spine (the central plate where the internal components are attached to) and you can slide the sidepanels in place afterwards.

As I said above, the Ghost has a lot more room inside at indeed the expense of some larger "outside size. I don't think the fingerprint on a desk is that much larger than the A4-SFX. When adding a tophat to the Ghost, it'll increase in height, but the fingerprint will stay the same.

Don't get me wrong, the A4-SFX is thé best case I have ever had up until now, but when you're stuffing it with AAA-components, it small size can be a challenge to keep everything cool. The Ghost S1 has a bit more room for cooling - be it air or water. The A4-SFX is limited to a 92mm AIO, whereas I'll be able to stuff a 2x 120mm fan radiator in the Ghost. It might even be possible to go custom, and have the CPU ánd GPU cooled by 1 watercooling system. I have planned to look into this at a later stage.

Looking at my own issues with the thermal throttling NVMe M.2 SSD, I believe a Ghost S1 is very more suitable to house AAA-components and keep them cool. I'd still recommend the A4-SFX for non-K or i5 setups though.

Pedro

Trash Compacter
Dec 12, 2017
I just finished a build nearly identical to this in my A4 V3. I am in the process of fabricating a mesh bracket that uses similar M2 standoffs to mount above the M.2 heatsink and if things work out i think it will fit a Noctua 92mm low profile fan and it will float between the Asatek AIO pump and the case side. It's going to be pure jank.

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
As I said above, the Ghost has a lot more room inside at indeed the expense of some larger "outside size. I don't think the fingerprint on a desk is that much larger than the A4-SFX. When adding a tophat to the Ghost, it'll increase in height, but the fingerprint will stay the same.

Don't get me wrong, the A4-SFX is thé best case I have ever had up until now, but when you're stuffing it with AAA-components, it small size can be a challenge to keep everything cool. The Ghost S1 has a bit more room for cooling - be it air or water. The A4-SFX is limited to a 92mm AIO, whereas I'll be able to stuff a 2x 120mm fan radiator in the Ghost. It might even be possible to go custom, and have the CPU ánd GPU cooled by 1 watercooling system. I have planned to look into this at a later stage.

Looking at my own issues with the thermal throttling NVMe M.2 SSD, I believe a Ghost S1 is very more suitable to house AAA-components and keep them cool. I'd still recommend the A4-SFX for non-K or i5 setups though.
My reasoning for my conclusion is:

1) The psu bracket is secured better (something like 6 screws in the top instead of two or four in the "spine" of the case)

2) If you remove the PSU bracket and PSU, you'll have no obstructions in your way for airflow if you're going to use the included 120mm fan brackets and install a fan to cool RAM/GPU back and hdplex or another SFF PSU (since you aren't using an SFX PSU in that case) or alternatively get a shorter GPU and use a fan secured to the fan bracket on the GPU side to cool the back of the PSU.

3) You can buy an hdplex PSU or something similar and just remove the PSU and PSU bracket, or alternatively just get an ITX formfactor gpu and in both cases you'll be able to install a 120mm radiator and a fan (fan would be a slim model if we're talking gpu side though, but with the radiator both a custom loop or just an AIO would be possible) without having to expand the case (which is already a good bit smaller than the Loque Ghost S1).

4) If you're not the brave "gotta spend all my money on something which probably won't work" type, you can just get an Asetek 545lc and mount it beneath the psu/gpu and be done and able to brag about having watercooled your 7.25 liter system!

5) If you're going totally vanilla and getting an air cooler, you can mount a total of 4 SSD's or just an SSD and a traditional harddrive. Even with a fully specced out, watercooled system with dual 120mm rads and everything, you'll still be able to have at least one 2.5" SSD and probably up toto sever m.2 drives!

6) The case is smaller than the Ghost S1. Don't know by how much in liters, though...

Other than that (it's not really meant to be a feature, though...) I've seen people mount a nf f9x14 beneath the motherboard in the space there to cool the motherboard too.

Last edited:

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
I can see what you're saying 2 remarks:

2x 120mm fans on a RAD in a A4-SFX? How?
There are mounting points for a 120mm fan bracket on each side, and the case is 115 mm wide... 30+25mm for a fan and a rad times two is 110mm, and if you choose slim fans like the noctua nf-f12x15's and just have them on the inside of the rads so it's not ugly, you'll have a dual rad a4-sfx.

I
HDPlex PSU isn't really an option for high-end systems, I don't think there's a model that can deliver the wattage for AAA-components...
With "or something similar" I was reffering to PSU's like G-unique units which easily can supply 450w if not more, and the KMPKT units which can supply over 500 watts. It's just that HDplex is more widely know and therefore I chose to say HDplex because more people would know what I meant.

Last edited:

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Aah, I was thinking about a 240mm rad cooled by 2x 120mm fans - a push&pull config on a 120mm RAD could indeed work in the A4-SFX. Anyway, I'm leaning a lot more to the Ghost S1, we'll see how that pans out when it arrives.

Reactions: rosinbole

rosinbole

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Aah, I was thinking about a 240mm rad cooled by 2x 120mm fans - a push&pull config on a 120mm RAD could indeed work in the A4-SFX. Anyway, I'm leaning a lot more to the Ghost S1, we'll see how that pans out when it arrives.
That the a4-sfx is better is also just my opinion

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
There are mounting points for a 120mm fan bracket on each side, and the case is 115 mm wide... 30+25mm for a fan and a rad times two is 110mm, and if you choose slim fans like the noctua nf-f12x15's and just have them on the inside of the rads so it's not ugly, you'll have a dual rad a4-sfx.
Are you planning on an internally watercooled dancase? I'm working on a 15 - 20mm radiator while I wait for my mobo to arrive and would love send one to you when I'm done