Material to cover PCB (e.g. gfx back side)

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I'm trying to find some black material I can use to cover the backside of my gtx 1060 which sits in an S4 Mini both for the sake of looks but also to shield it from another PCB that touches the very back of the card.
I have some regular isolation tape which is non conductive but it doesn't look great as it's essentially just black tape.
I've seen people in here cover various parts of e.g. A motherboard with black vinyl which looks super cool but I'm not sure what to use and how it would impact heat?

Thanks -

Mar 6, 2017
You should be able to use a hobby knife to cut it to size, but I don't know if I'd use that because the adhesive might not come off too easy. If you don't have a backplate, you could get a piece of acrylic CNC cut or something 3D printed, but that'll need at least 4mm of space behind the card.

IIRC, LTT did a video on how backplates affect temperatures, and it turns out there's no real effect. I'll see if I can find it.

Reactions: Biowarejak

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
What comes to my mind is liquid electrical tape / Plast dip, dunno how it will impact heat though.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Yes, it's non conductive. They use this stuff to transfer heat to gpu backplates. Just note that anything touching it will also be heated up a bit. It should be thick enough at 2mm that no pcb solder points will poke through. if you are worried about that, you can also put a thin sheet of plastic behind the pad.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm trying to find some black material I can use to cover the backside of my gtx 1060 which sits in an S4 Mini both for the sake of looks but also to shield it from another PCB that touches the very back of the card.
I have some regular isolation tape which is non conductive but it doesn't look great as it's essentially just black tape.
I've seen people in here cover various parts of e.g. A motherboard with black vinyl which looks super cool but I'm not sure what to use and how it would impact heat?

Thanks -

You could get some Kydex and cut it to size with a pair of strong scissors:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBWPC5I/?tag=theminutiae-20

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
I ended up ordering a smoked / clear backplate from v1tech (haven't had any updates from them in the last 2 days though...) as that will help me highlight another fun detail to the build.
Thanks all!