Guide to: swapping Black Ridge stock 92mm fan for 120mm underneath the radiator.

lost_in_spice

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 6, 2023
Sharing my experience here, as using 120 mm slim fan requires gentle modding to the Black Ridge screw holes to avoid damaging fan fins.

• Im assuming you already have Very Low Profile RAM. If not this is covered in this thread - I find this post most informative (at the time of writing I was able to buy 16 GB Kingston VLP for £35).
  • There are two reasonable fans to choose from, as they share almost same performance and noise levels: NF-A12x15 PWM and P12 Slim PWM PST (I choose the latter as its price is only fraction of Noctua's)
  • In many reviews I found that setting the fan in pull (cold air -> radiator -> fan -> cpu) configuration gives the best results.

Before you can install the fan you need to remove excess of two protruding screw holes - otherwise the fan fins will catch on them and break. Bear in mind it's only two inner scre holes, as the outer holes do not interfere with fins. See the picture below:

The best way to do it is by using Dremel or a file. I prefer file as it gives me more control. To secure radiator from scratching you can use an electric tape. Then you file down protruding screw holes to the height of tape - this will suffice. Now the very important step is to vacuum everything thoroughly as you don't want those filings get into motherboard causing shorts.

Now you are ready to install the fan. Use the longer metal clip.

In my case I needed to do another modification to the fan itself as my Gigabyte's B550i Wifi module was causing a slight offset to the fan which then pushed metal clip towards RAM module. I don't like any metal parts touching PCB - giving the opportunity for shorts - so I've decided to cut out a small square in fan frame. You can see it on picture below:

Hopes this helps.