Power Supply Making PSU cables

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I am currently waiting for the C4-SFX, and I know cable length is a big problem when dealing with sff cases. I really want to make my own custom cables, but from the research I've done make it seem very intimidating. I wanted to ask if there any good videos that I am missing. I would be using the Corsair SF600 platinum psu, and PET sleeves with 16 gauge wire. I'm just not sure where to start.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
It is time consuming and the tools and supplies is expensive. It is especially time consuming if you are sleeving.

If this is a one time deal then I recommend you order custom cable length, as the cost to get started would be the same as a custom cable set.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
IF you're willing to cut your PSU cables (voiding any possibility of warranty), then crimping or soldering wires to desired custom lenght, then it is sort of cheap and easy. The crimping tool costs as less as 20 bucks on amazon.

IF you're building the cables from scratch, then what @Thehack said is completely true.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
IF you're willing to cut your PSU cables (voiding any possibility of warranty), then crimping or soldering wires to desired custom lenght, then it is sort of cheap and easy. The crimping tool costs as less as 20 bucks on amazon.

IF you're building the cables from scratch, then what @Thehack said is completely true.

I have to say though, the crimping tool at $20 is a crap shot.

The issue is that it is designed for only one type of sleeving, and that the tool is large, making it difficult to use.

I returned by MDPC-X tool, which is a higher quality one, after I found it so frustrating to use. I bought official molex cheap crimper and it works so much better. It doesn't ratchet, and you have to crimp twice, once for the conductor and once for insulation.

It has separate sizing for conductor size and insulator size making it easier for hobby use.

Reactions: owliwar

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
\
It is time consuming and the tools and supplies is expensive. It is especially time consuming if you are sleeving.

If this is a one time deal then I recommend you order custom cable length, as the cost to get started would be the same as a custom cable set.
That is a good point. I guess I will wait for someone to order custom cables, and I'll just use the measurements from their build. Thanks for the insight.

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018

Yeah I guess I'll just order them.

Reactions: cleveland

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Yeah I guess I'll just order them.

If you don't, keep looking and I'll show you something nice...

Reactions: owliwar

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I wanted to do a purple and silver PET cables. I think that material is my favorite out of all of them.
it's really an awesome material. good insulation, great maleability and easy to handle with day-to-day materials (knives, stilettos and tweezers).

"11/10! would custom cable again!"

Drue

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
it's really an awesome material. good insulation, great maleability and easy to handle with day-to-day materials (knives, stilettos and tweezers).

"11/10! would custom cable again!"
Are there any websites that you'd recommend for custom length psu cables? Cablemod is like $20 shipping in the US which is crazy to me

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Are there any websites that you'd recommend for custom length psu cables? Cablemod is like $20 shipping in the US which is crazy to me
Sadly, no. The reason for it is that i'm brazilian and there's no one that make (that i'm aware of) these kind of services and ship it internationally.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
While on the subject, is there any definitive guide online to making your own cables (tools, connectors, techniques, etc.)?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
They're all pretty much the same, straight forward and time consuming.

But it's a matter of depinning -> cutting wires -> stripping -> crimping -> inserting

The biggest thing though, is I recommend you pay for the Molex crimp tool Molex 63811-1000 instead of the crappy dual action crimps everyone sells. They look nice but they're a pain to use.

If you want a ratcheting one, pony up for the $270 official Molex Premium Grade one.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
They're all pretty much the same, straight forward and time consuming.

But it's a matter of depinning -> cutting wires -> stripping -> crimping -> inserting

The biggest thing though, is I recommend you pay for the Molex crimp tool Molex 63811-1000 instead of the crappy dual action crimps everyone sells. They look nice but they're a pain to use.

If you want a ratcheting one, pony up for the $270 official Molex Premium Grade one.

I bought the Engineer PA-21 for the connectors on the Mean Well PSU, it seemed to work for the two Mini Fit Jrs I've done so far. I also bought a bunch of Molex 24/20/4/6/8 pin connectors because they were cheap and shipping from Mouser was a flat rate anyways.

Thanks for that video though, I'll check it out!

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
I bought the Engineer PA-21 for the connectors on the Mean Well PSU, it seemed to work for the two Mini Fit Jrs I've done so far. I also bought a bunch of Molex 24/20/4/6/8 pin connectors because they were cheap and shipping from Mouser was a flat rate anyways.

Thanks for that video though, I'll check it out!
I hope not to flood the thread, but here are some pics i took today, while I was making my cables for the HDplex 400w DC-ATX unit:

1) cut the wires into desided lenght (70mm on the pic bellow)

2) remove 4.2mm of insulation from both sides

3) if necessary, give "fangs" to help the terminals to "bite" the insulated part of the wire

This step is heavily dependant on the kind of crimper you've got. Some do it as standard, while mine don't, so i have to do it manually every time, before every crimping.

modded terminal on left vs normal terminal on right.

4) crimp the wire (yes, simple as that). You only need to care about not leaving the insulation go past the first metalic part of the terminal.

The plastic insulation should never go past the highlighted structure.

5) Set up a wiring diagram of your PSU

THIS. IS. THE. MOST. IMPORTANT. PART. OF. THE. JOB.

6) Stick it up!

7) Rejoice!

Last edited:

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
One addendum: while crimping, be sure to crimp the blue areas really whell, whilst avoiding at any cost to exert pressure on the red structure, that acts as a locking pin inside the 24/8/6/4 connectors.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
And with all that said, I apologize for any language errors, since I'm not as fluent in English as I'd like.

I hope those tips from an amateur cable maker be of some help for someone in here. Cheers!

Reactions: cps_goodbuy