M99 matx 9,8l build log

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Hi,
I am going to post here my (probably slow) progress on a build in one of these:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-1074877379.5.61b022b5cwZ4U0&id=592100976156

They have a new revision, which comes with a low Profile mount onthe Motherboard side.

It is a nice looking matx in the sandwich style under 10L with room for 2 120mm fans and a dual slot gpu up to 265mm length.
The case has many things I like:
  • a small footprint
  • clean design
  • matx support (boards are cheaper and offer more options)
I have ordered it today via superbuy, so it will take some time until it arrives here in Germany.

Hardware I already have/or have ordered:
  • Msi B450M Mortar Titanium (great board with 2 M.2 slots/I got it used for 50€)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB, DDR4-3000, CL15-17-17-35 (Works ok, but has not much room for overclocking. Got it for 50€)
  • Amd 2400G (got it used for 75€, I will probably replace it with a 2600/1700/2700 later)
  • sm951 512gb nvme (got it used for 50€)
  • for the cooler I have currently three options:
    • Scythe Shuriken with Noctua NF9x15 (pretty solid combo max temps are 60° under full load. I got it with the Noctua for 15€,)
    • Scythe Big Shuriken (It is not great with the stock slim fan, which gets warmer [75°] and louder under load. I am going to test it with a 25mm fan.)
    • Amd Waith Stealth (not great, not terrible)
  • 2 Arctic F12 PWM PST (Great budget fan and the PWM Sharing Technology (PST) allows for a bit better cable management. 15€)
  • Supermicro 480 1U Psu (Got it from eBay for 42€ shipped. It should arrive next week. The Taobao case is also offered with this psu [although they modded it into modlular psu].)
  • The case itself with front IO (and with that I mean top IO) and a PciE Riser.
  • a 250 sata ssd (I might not put it in the Pc not sure yet. 30€) The psu does not have Sata and I got a second M.2, so this one stays out for now.
  • WD SN720 256gb M.2 (25€)
Hardware I have yet to order:
  • Some Gpu (I am not sure what I am going to get. I am just looking out a for a decent deal in the 100-200€ range) Gigabyte 1070 8gb ITX (183€)
  • A second m.2 drive (between 250-512gb) done
  • Maybe a better ram kit
  • Nicer feet (for the case, not for me)

Other things to do:
  • Since the sidepanels do not have pretty generous airholes, I might cut/drill some additionl holes.
  • Check if the Psu is too loud and needs replacement.
  • Play the waiting game

Last edited:

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Here is a small update.

The case arrived at the superbuy warehouse and I am probably sptlitting the order into two parcels to keep the shipping down.

Additionally, I ordered another Cpu/Motherboard combo from Aliexpress (58€). I wanted to try out these cheap Xeons for some time, although I am not sure, if I am going to use it in the M99.

My Arctic F12 arrived yesterday and they are pretty good, especially for 5€ each.

Honestly, there is no need to use such a short card in this build, so I might swap it with something bigger, more quiet and cooler.

Additionally I ordered 2 m.2 256gb nvme drives for 25€ each.

Last edited:

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Another smallish update,
My case should leave the warehouse soon (and the arrive in 7-12 days)

I got the Supermicro Psu, which runs currently fanless for the last 36 hours under moderate load (folding, surfing and some benchmarking).

It seems that the Cpu and Atx cable is just enough to plug in the sockets.

Of course I kinda forgot to get a 2xMolex to 8pin Pcie adapter to run the 1070 which arrived today....
So I had to order one (4,5€) which arrives Friday or Saturday.

And I don't have a molex to sata adapter for the sata ssd, although I probably don't need it at the moment.

My two M.2 SSDs also arrived today and of course the dealer did not wiped the data (standart win10 was still on there) probably. One went into the Mortar and the second will go on the 1356 Board (which just left China).
I have also decided to use ryzen setup in the M99. Still not sure what to do with the 1356 kit, maybe a htpc or a small server...

Greetings

dealda

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Well,
I got to test the Gigabyte 1070 and of course it has obnoxious coilwhine.
A 1060 3g itx had some too, but on this one its much more audible.

For now it runs only with a 60% powerlimit, but I can still slightly hear the noise.

Additionally, it still runs pretty warm, even with the low power limit.

I might send it back.