Log mAPU - mATX APU < 10L insanity

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The very next build when the initial version of my Mesh-mATX is finally there: An mATX APU / server build in a case less than 10 L volume.

Just by accident, when I was researching potential Barebone APU / Mini PC options - mostly to be used as a music / NAS server, reduced workstation / office system and "Jukebox for falling asleep" - I stumbled upon this gem(s): The Inter-Tech S-331 / S301.

They seem to be based of the same design as all the SFF desktop-like cases by Inter-Tech (ie. geared towards TFX PSUs); the only recognizable difference between them seems to be, that the S331 is 2 cm taller.

In theory, this cheap but solid, small case should even allow for low profile PCIe cards. Not required, but a nice thing to know, eg. if I wanted to try out some watercooling shenanigans, add a small GPU for streaming things maybe some kind of audio hardware, or even a dedicated SATA hotplug thingy. One never knows.

So far, I've come up with these two Geizhals wishlists, which are nearly identical, but one is for AM4 (Ryzen 7 5700G), while the other is Intel 1700 (i7 12500). Both share the following specs:

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16 GB, DDR4-3600
- at least 2 M.2 slots available
- WiFi
- obviously the PC case, so Ive chosen the S331
- PSU: FSP FlexGURU FSP300, 300 W should do perfectly well for all the purposes
- CPU Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3 RGB - the specs of the S301 state, its maximum height may be 75 mm, so with the Big Shuriken 3, we're at lovely 69 mm
- even the mainboards are kinda the same, ie. MSI Pro mATX series

Not the biggest challenge, yeah. Except maybe adding a nice CPU cooler vent, because the case doesnt seem to feature one. And maybe adding even more ventilation and mesh, where and whenever required. Essentially small and nimble hacking up the case jobs, without anybody ever noticing afterwards, that this was not a part of the original case design :D

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
ps: This one has quite the Milo 11 feeling to it. Sadly, the Milo 11 seems to be not available on the German / European market, as it looks a bit more refined (despite being geared toward TFX).

pps: on another note - the AM4 wishlist looks so much cheaper AND at the same time, BETTER. If one was to compare both system variations for real, one would have to add at least a GTX 1050 Ti and pair it up with a 12600k to overpower the 5700G both in GPU as well as CPU performance. Seems to be a rather moot point.

Last edited: