Production M2427 - Cable Management Freedom

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Oh, a question I forgot to ask: do the Corsair SF PSUs have voltage sense wires on the 24-pin, and if so does this preserve them?

No this does not preserve them. I believe it depends on the version, I am not 100% sure. I have it tested on SF450 no issues. Most of the times the sense is not necessary. It is primarily for high current loads over a longer wire distance to where you have voltage drop.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks

Ugh. There's a rando on the sffpc subreddit that commented:

"Electrical Engineer here: don’t buy this. There’s a reason there’s 7 wires and a huge power supply. What this is doing is just reducing the +/-12V to 5V and 3.3V. I’d be very surprised if this board was rated at what a lot of these new boards draw on their 5 and 3.3V rails."

Of course, he's wrong, and obviously not an electrically engineer. No one calls it +/-12V. He spouts bullshit that new boards draw more on 5V/3.3V (hint, they don't). And people upvote so they think he's right. But whatever. People will be people.
There is no such thing as bad publicity. ?

Reactions: Thehack

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Couldn't the sense wires be optionally connected to your SATA power connector?

The solution is to just return the sense wires to the output wires.

5V/3.3V does not need to be sensed since they are used comparatively lower.

12V should be sensed for voltage drop compensation but it can also be wired into itself.

If anybody here would like to work with me with their SF Platinum, please let me know.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I will happily help you find a solution when I recieve your unit, although my knowledge of electronics is not big but I'm learning a lot lately

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I was about to pull the trigger for a M2427 when I realized my SF600 is a Platinum one.
I would be glad to help with these sense wires, solder iron, crimper and so on are ready if needed.
But before I order I would like to be sure I will get a working unit in the end, without burning anything being a plus! What do you think @Thehack ?

Reactions: Sashby

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Do you own a platinum version?

Yes sf750, I have another Silverstone, so I can switch them if it doesn't work in one. I haven't looked into it yet, but I think that Silverstone has the same pin out that corsair on their 24 pin cable.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I was about to pull the trigger for a M2427 when I realized my SF600 is a Platinum one.
I would be glad to help with these sense wires, solder iron, crimper and so on are ready if needed.
But before I order I would like to be sure I will get a working unit in the end, without burning anything being a plus! What do you think @Thehack ?

Should not be a problem. Only problem is stability based on the required sense issue. I'll happily work on a solution, and hope to make it permanent in a future revision.

Reactions: Sashby

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017

Product page. Shipments for it will be soon.*

I'm trying to order this, but I don't understand what the two power connector options are? I thought that both the GPU and CPU EPS connector were still connected directly to the ATX/SFX PSU unit?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I'm trying to order this, but I don't understand what the two power connector options are? I thought that both the GPU and CPU EPS connector were still connected directly to the ATX/SFX PSU unit?

Expected list price per unit is about $40, supporting Corsair SF series. Available with short GPU and CPU cables as a kit for $50.
[...]
Short GPU/CPU cable kit adds: 2X GPU 6+2 250mm. 1X CPU 8 pin 300mm. All black wires.
That's just an option to get shorter cables compared to the stock ones I think, they are still to be connected to the PSU.
On my SF600 Platinum these cables are both around 400mm long, they are maybe even longer on other PSU versions.

Should not be a problem.
Only problem is stability based on the required sense issue.
Not sure how I should understand this? ?
Not a big deal I guess, will order the unit later today!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
That's just an option to get shorter cables compared to the stock ones I think, they are still to be connected to the PSU.
On my SF600 Platinum these cables are both around 400mm long, they are maybe even longer on other PSU versions.

Not sure how I should understand this?
Not a big deal I guess, will order the unit later today!

Apparently SF platinum version requires the sense wires to be hooked up. I'm still waiting on confirmation from platinum owners and working to provide a solution. Currently the only real advertisement is in this thread, so most of us here are willing to tinker a bit. It is something completely new on the market.

The solution for platinum is not difficult but I hope it is not required. I would have essentially add cost for a platinum line and have to add additional pinouts. They'll be very minimal and only wire into the 10+18 themselves. Essentially you would wire the sense lines into their perspective rails. So 5v sense into 5v on the psu side. Annoying, but that is how corsair produced their units.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Apparently SF platinum version requires the sense wires to be hooked up. I'm still waiting on confirmation from platinum owners and working to provide a solution. Currently the only real advertisement is in this thread, so most of us here are willing to tinker a bit. It is something completely new on the market.

The solution for platinum is not difficult but I hope it is not required. I would have essentially add cost for a platinum line and have to add additional pinouts. They'll be very minimal and only wire into the 10+18 themselves. Essentially you would wire the sense lines into their perspective rails. So 5v sense into 5v on the psu side. Annoying, but that is how corsair produced their units.

I'm going to get enough to retrofit all my PSUs, eventually.
That's <20 PSUs. *Insert wallet crying noise here.*