Production M2427 - Cable Management Freedom

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I've got a SF600 platinum and a multimeter if you want me to check anything. Also have some spare mini-fit connectors I could do a quick wireup on if need be.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
What exactly is the issue with the platinum unit?

I'm afraid I'm too stupid to understand.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
If I understand correctly, this psu has a sense lines that measure the end line voltaje so, in the case it drops too much, the psu itself can rise it little by litlle so the regulation of the different lines is really impecable.

With this unit, those sense lines are not present... soooo if the psu is not able to measure those voltajes, it can lead to ... I don´t know, not working, working not correclty... or any other problem, I just don´t know at this point.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
If I understand correctly, this psu has a sense lines that measure the end line voltaje so, in the case it drops too much, the psu itself can rise it little by litlle so the regulation of the different lines is really impecable.

With this unit, those sense lines are not present... soooo if the psu is not able to measure those voltajes, it can lead to ... I don´t know, not working, working not correclty... or any other problem, I just don´t know at this point.

That makes sense. Hopefully a solution can be found.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018

I dont know if its the same thing, but I had some pslate custom cables from my older sf450 and tried to use them on the sf600 plat when I upgraded. Basically as soon as I added any load, the entire system would shut down. I emailed him and got some new cables, but I believe he said it was because of the sense wires. You could ask him if you want to know more, he is on the forums too.

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017

*Checks product page* Only "13 in stock" out of 20 available (with no certainty more will be made and how I may have to modify it for my SF750 Platinum. BUT I MUST HAVE IT!
Me explaining to wife this purchase:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
*Checks product page* Only "13 in stock" out of 20 available (with no certainty more will be made and how I may have to modify it for my SF750 Platinum. BUT I MUST HAVE IT!
Me explaining to wife this purchase:

^Me.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The 250mm GPU and 300mm CPU wires are here. Also added super short SATA power connectors, 100mm length.

:)

If your motherboard 24pin header is flush with the PCB edge, you may have trouble fitting in cases where the PSU is next to the motherboard. You need 2mm of clearance from the edge of the PCB to the 24pin header to fit. This is because Dancase, Ghost S1, etc, you only have about 4mm from the edge of the motherboard to the PSU, so it is actually really tight. 6mm is clearance between header and whatever object is what you need.

Example: My Asrock B450 AM4 ITX has 2mm clearance so I'm good.

Also,

I have also looked into the platinum issue. It seems the instability issue is not 100% consistent. Some users report it is safe to use it without the sense. But I will make a few "platinum" versions where the sense wires are connected to their respective rails in the future. If you have ordered and finds it doesn't work, just send me an email to set up a return.

Others interested in the short cables can order separately.

Last edited:

ASCii

(ツ)
Jan 7, 2017
So from what I understand it’s really an issue between type 3 and type 4 PSU cables, this type 4 kit meant for the SF Gold PSUs was released prior to the platinum line launching.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So from what I understand it’s really an issue between type 3 and type 4 PSU cables, this type 4 kit meant for the SF Gold PSUs was released prior to the platinum line launching.

It's just how the psu are programmed. Honestly, all of this sensing stuff is completely unnecessary. The microcontroller knows how much current it is pushing and can compensate the voltage itself. And atx standards is 5% load regulation, that is 11.4-12.6V is the spec.

The psu market is hyper competitive so we get insane specs like 25mV ripple and dead on 12.01V regulation at 500W load. But none of that is THAT important. All your power goes through another VRM stage and that one is even more precise at controlling voltage so really, you don't need the high end specs of a Corsair platinum series. Both your CPU and GPU run off of 1.0-1.4V VRM, so it'll get filtered and controlled a second time.

Even then they measure it off the 24 pin when the primary current pull is off the 8pin cpu. So it's not measuring when you would get the highest voltage drop.

/rant

My research says some users experience instability with senseless wiring kits, and others don't.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
If your motherboard 24pin header is flush with the PCB edge, you may have trouble fitting in cases where the PSU is next to the motherboard. You need 2mm of clearance from the edge of the PCB to the 24pin header to fit. This is because Dancase, Ghost S1, etc, you only have about 4mm from the edge of the motherboard to the PSU, so it is actually really tight. 6mm is clearance between header and whatever object is what you need.
If there is room enough on the other side of the 24pin header, like no RAM slot too close, couldn't we unsolder and resolder the cables on the opposite side of the M2427 PCB?

I have also looked into the platinum issue. It seems the instability issue is not 100% consistent. Some users report it is safe to use it without the sense. But I will make a few "platinum" versions where the sense wires are connected to their respective rails in the future. If you have ordered and finds it doesn't work, just send me an email to set up a return.
Can you develop more on the instability issue please? What happens exactly?
Would that put the PSU or other components at risk?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If there is room enough on the other side of the 24pin header, like no RAM slot too close, couldn't we unsolder and resolder the cables on the opposite side of the M2427 PCB?

Can you develop more on the instability issue please? What happens exactly?
Would that put the PSU or other components at risk?

1. Yes. It should fit most mobo though. I just checked various pictures.

2. It seems the psu ends up shutting itself off.

Reactions: BaK

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I´m thinking... these sense wires are just 4 wires.
one ground, 5.0v 3.3v and 12v... al these come out of the 24 connector of the motherboard to a 28 connector on the psu.

Would it work to just bridge the ground to any ground and bridge 3.3 and 5v from the psu to their respective sense pins so the psu can measure that everything is fine because theres not going to be any load there... And then, add an 8th cable from the 24 connector to the psu so that it can stabilize de 12v line.

What do you think? I don´t know how easy it would be to solder a cable on the connection between the 24 plug and the 2427 board... I guess it´s going to be a precission work, but it´s the best idea I have right now.

Another way could be to bridge the 12v line directly from the psu socket instead of routing a cable from the 2427 to the psu... but in this case maybe the sense circuit dont measure all the losses.... I don´t know. What do you think?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I´m thinking... these sense wires are just 4 wires.
one ground, 5.0v 3.3v and 12v... al these come out of the 24 connector of the motherboard to a 28 connector on the psu.

Would it work to just bridge the ground to any ground and bridge 3.3 and 5v from the psu to their respective sense pins so the psu can measure that everything is fine because theres not going to be any load there... And then, add an 8th cable from the 24 connector to the psu so that it can stabilize de 12v line.

What do you think? I don´t know how easy it would be to solder a cable on the connection between the 24 plug and the 2427 board... I guess it´s going to be a precission work, but it´s the best idea I have right now.

Another way could be to bridge the 12v line directly from the psu socket instead of routing a cable from the 2427 to the psu... but in this case maybe the sense circuit dont measure all the losses.... I don´t know. What do you think?

That is as I've mentioned.

12v line does not need to come from the pcb. There should be an open line on the 8 pin gpu. Can you guys with platinum confirm?