Production M2426 - Evolution in Cable Management

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Many thanks for that confirmation! šŸ‘ I'd left that one off the diagram deliberately as I'm struggling to source the TKP terminals and DH2L-2x2 connector, so haven't built that yet. šŸ˜© Everything else I'd illustrated I've already completed (and I'm equally suprised and delighted to find I wasn't wildly adrift of what was needed!).

I suspect I'll need to adapt a solution. It would be easier if I could at least find suitably sized non-TKP terminals, but failing that I was planning on making a thin plastic cross to wedge in to keep the pins separated, before fixing the wire ends permanently against the two correct pins (that didn't work) Plan B looks like soldering the two wires straight onto the pin connections from the rear side, though I suspect that won't take as nicely to frequent movement of the PC itself.

Should be fine. Alternatively, you can solder dupont wires and use male/female so you disconnect as needed.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You will need two additional wires.

You will need PS_on and 5VSB, which is connected to a small 4 pin connector on the Meanwell and connects to the small 3 pin on the M2426. On the M2426 it is labeled:

PS_ON (-) <- for ATX PSUs
5VSB
PS_ON <- for meanwell

Review the Meanwell RPS datasheet for the exact pinout of the 4 pin.
Thanks for the precision, but hmm... no PS_ON (-) on my M2426 (first version I think).

But I notice now that pin number 3 is labeled differently than pin 1, with a line on top of PSON.
Is pin 3 the one for Meanwell?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the precision, but hmm... no PS_ON (-) on my M2426 (first version I think).

But I notice now that pin number 3 is labeled differently than pin 1, with a line on top of PSON.
Is pin 3 the one for Meanwell?

Yes that is the PS On for meanwell. Might have mixed up my signs. It is pin 3.

Reactions: BaK

dreadpiratebob

Chassis Packer
Dec 30, 2019
First attempt to power on was not successful. On switching on at the mains, the RPS-400-12 LED comes on, as does the 5VSB LED on the M2426, and the CPU fan spins. It stays in that state indefinitely, and a USB keyboard I have plugged in is also receiving power (its LEDs are lit). Pressing the PC power briefly switch changes nothing. However, if I hold down the PC power switch longer than 5 seconds, as if for a forced reset, the LED on the RPS-400-12 goes off and the 'Power Supply Set to On' LED on the M2426 lights up, and the CPU fan stops spinning. At no point has the 'Power Good' LED on the M2426 lit up, nor have the RPS-400-12 LED and 'Power Supply Set to On' LED on the M2426 been lit at the same time (one is always on when the other is off). I've quadruple-checked that all my connections are as per my #1 attempt illustration (except that I've not connected the GPU wires, as my 1st test rig doesn't need dedicated GPU power), and that the lines to the PS_ON and 5V connector are also correct. Any suggestions on trouble-shooting?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
First attempt to power on was not successful. On switching on at the mains, the RPS-400-12 LED comes on, as does the 5VSB LED on the M2426, and the CPU fan spins. It stays in that state indefinitely, and a USB keyboard I have plugged in is also receiving power (its LEDs are lit). Pressing the PC power briefly switch changes nothing. However, if I hold down the PC power switch longer than 5 seconds, as if for a forced reset, the LED on the RPS-400-12 goes off and the 'Power Supply Set to On' LED on the M2426 lights up, and the CPU fan stops spinning. At no point has the 'Power Good' LED on the M2426 lit up, nor have the RPS-400-12 LED and 'Power Supply Set to On' LED on the M2426 been lit at the same time (one is always on when the other is off). I've quadruple-checked that all my connections are as per my #1 attempt illustration (except that I've not connected the GPU wires, as my 1st test rig doesn't need dedicated GPU power), and that the lines to the PS_ON and 5V connector are also correct. Any suggestions on trouble-shooting?
It sounds like are using the wrong pin for PS_on for the meanwell. switch the PS_on pin.

disconnect the main board.

turn on mains. 5vsb should turn on. Check 12v out. Should be off. Meanwell led should be off.

Confirm the above state before proceeding.

Do the PSU manual on trick (shorting pson to ground like youā€™re testing an atx psu). 12V comes on and meanwell led comes on. Remain m2426 led comes on.

dreadpiratebob

Chassis Packer
Dec 30, 2019
Swapped the PS_ON wire, tested as directed - success. Tested with M2426 in PC - success. Test rig #1 tested and fully working. Will proceed to test rig #2 with separate GPU power tomorrow Jan 2nd. Many thanks, this is coming along nicely. šŸ‘ :)

So, pin #1 on the M2426 is required for PS_ON to the RPS-400-12, not pin #3 (at least, as per the pin numbering on my M2426).

Last edited:
Reactions: BaK

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Swapped the PS_ON wire, tested as directed - success. Tested with M2426 in PC - success. Test rig #1 tested and fully working. Will proceed to test rig #2 with separate GPU power tomorrow Jan 2nd. Many thanks, this is coming along nicely. šŸ‘ :)

So, pin #1 on the M2426 is required for PS_ON to the RPS-400-12, not pin #3 (at least, as per the pin numbering on my M2426).
Lol glad to hear it. Sorry I keep mixing up the number. The good ol' keep swapping it until it works panned out.

PKAWA

Master of Cramming
May 27, 2020
Hello,
I have just received my order but the cable that connects the M2426 to my Corsair SF750 is not included.

dreadpiratebob

Chassis Packer
Dec 30, 2019
Quick update. My shipment of JST connectors was delayed so I've still not been able to connect up the SSD yet. I did however get my hands on some dupont wires for the PS_ON and 5V connections. The female plugs each need sanding down on two sides to allow them to fit into the connector on the Meanwell, but once I'd done that they fit snuggly. šŸ‘ I'll post again once the final connector arrives and I can boot and run some stability tests.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Not that much informative but thanks, looks like a little protective cap, nice!

Reminds me of something from the M2427 thread...
[...] maybe a 3D printed enclosure/cover would reinforce it and make it look more like a whole unit, perhaps even safer.
It would obviously make it a little bigger, and I don't see how you could attach such a cover to the 24pin part but well, just a thought.
:p

cy-one

Caliper Novice
Jul 31, 2020
How hot do the parts on the M2426 get under peak load?
I'm in possession of a 3D printer and would print a cover/shield myself as well. But I worry some of the parts would get too warm for PLA-filament.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
How hot do the parts on the M2426 get under peak load?
I'm in possession of a 3D printer and would print a cover/shield myself as well. But I worry some of the parts would get too warm for PLA-filament.
The parts do not get hot at all. Should be able to maintain cooler than the PLA glass temperature.

Reactions: cy-one