SFF.Network Low Volume Ep. 3 - Sweaty

Download Link

This episode is a bit shorter due to technical difficulties and scheduling but here it is, Episode 3 of Low Volume!
  • Today's hosts: Joshua Ramirez, James Schell, John Morrison, and Jay Mattison.
  • 1:35 Low Volume now has a live audience on Discord!
    • Supporters that subscribe to SFF Forum can now listen to live shows, interact with us, and join in on "The Aftershow" where we answer questions and discuss topics that don't make the cut for the podcast
  • 2:38 SilverStone's PPO8 SFX to ATX bracket
    • Cheap, at just under $7
    • Unlike other adaptors/brackets, aligns the power supply against an edge to maximize how much internal volume is reclaimed
    • Available in any color you like so long as it's black
  • 42:45 This episode's 'Fortnightly Favorite Fread': ono3 - Pelican 1430 to S4 Portable VR Workstation
    • An insane integrated build for a truly portable VR experience - a headset connected to a backpack-mounted computer and battery power system
    • Already coming together, with tests providing over an hour of battery life
    • Did we mention this is insane?
This episode wasn't brought to you by Squarespace, since we are't cool enough to take their money... yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Doh, forgot to include the download link.

Also, be sure to listen to the very end, you'll get a taste for the shenanigans we get up to during recording :)

Relevant as always: http://xkcd.com/1643/

Last edited:
Reactions: jØrd

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
So, several years back, the E7 processors had an external memory controller to increase the number of memory channels available. While this worked, it added many clock cycles of latency, which, for high performance, memory intensive workflows, reduced the overall system performance to lower than the E5 processors connected with a QPI link (with appropriate memory management in software). The 8 memory channels could be interesting for these sorts of applications, where you need this sort of memory size. Current generation E7 chips have the same 4 channels as the E5, so you can't really make this comparison any more, although some high-end server board manufactures might have some tricks up their sleeve expanding the number of DIMMs per channel. The Intel Knights Landing chips will have up to 16 GB HBM memory and 6 DDR4 memory channels on them, but those are most definitely HPC parts.

In terms of memory bandwidth, if you have 8 channels feeding an APU, that could be interesting, from a technical stand point, as well.

The last interesting thing about this is the improved signal integrity of a point-to-point connection over a multi-drop connection to multiple DIMMs on the same channel. If they go with a point-to-point connection that can keep the signal very tight, they might have future compatibility with DDR4L @ 1.05V.

We'll have to wait and see what comes to the consumer parts. That slide is probably describing a multi-thousand dollar part intended for HPC applications.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You seem to have cut out the part with Taylor Swift's live performance and John fighting off the horde of zombies at his house, but I guess that's what the gold badge is for !

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You seem to have cut out the part with Taylor Swift's live performance and John fighting off the horde of zombies at his house, but I guess that's what the gold badge is for !

We almost kept the part in where Elvis and Tupac did their duo performance at the UFO crash site in Roswell, but we unfortunately couldn't get the rights figured out in time. Ah well.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Listening right now! Second episode already was a jump in production quality. Now we're at a point where I'm pretty much satisfied for now, it's a well produced podcast about topics that I'm interested in with relatively diverse opinions and a friendly atmosphere.

Reactions: confusis

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Listening right now! Second episode already was a jump in production quality. Now we're at a point where I'm pretty much satisfied for now, it's a well produced podcast about topics that I'm interested in with relatively diverse opinions and a friendly atmosphere.

Yes, we've been making marked improvements with each episode. Should be quite tight after a few more.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I'm becoming a lot more comfortable in recording again, with time (and ambient temperature drops) I should get even better

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I do believe that tomorrow will be a Fahrenheit kind of day here in Canada. XD

Update: Just finished listening to it and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tek Everything