SFF.Network Low Volume Ep. 6 - Passive

Download link
  • Today's hosts: John "confusis" Morrison, James "Aibohphobia" Schell, and Jay "Tek Everything" Mattison.
  • A reminder: Supporters that subscribe to SFF Forum can listen to live shows, interact with us, and join in on "The Aftershow" where we answer questions and discuss topics that don't make the cut for the podcast! Shows are recorded every other Saturday on the weeks before we upload.
  • 1:06 - The Intel Skull Canyon NUC launches, a powerful update to the NUC line.
    • The new Skull Canyon NUC comes with an i7-6770HQ, dual M.2 slots, Iris Pro 580 graphics, and support for an external GPU dock.
  • 6:05 - Razor Core GPU dock launches at $499.
    • An exciting development for computers like that Skull Canyon NUC, but is it worth the price?
  • 13:08 - Nobody expects the Span...Lian Li to announce flagship SFX-L power supplies!
    • Thanks to SFF Forum member veryrarium for the heads up on these.
    • 550W Gold and 750W Platinum rated units, OEM looks to be Enhance. No word on price or availability yet
  • 18:10 - CableMod launches their Configurator service for custom PSU cables.
    • Cut to length, individually sleeved, and color matched PSU cables for the lazy.
  • 25:40 - Passive cooling discussion.
    • Keeping your computer cool without those pesky fans.
  • 43:42 - This episode's 'Favourite Forum Fread of the Fortnight': Origin of you nickname
    • Members of the community discuss the origin and meaning of their online nicknames.
So much for our previous announcement of releasing every other Wednesday, a perfect storm of schedule issues, technical problems, and travel delayed this one. Hopefully we can stay on track for the next episode though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz and Ceros_X

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I edited this one so if you think it sucks, let me know why so I can do better if I have to edit another episode in the future :p

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I have always mentally pronounced NUC as "nuke" rather than "nuck". The latter makes me think of the 3 Stooges (nyuk).

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
It would be helpful (for at least me) to have you list the host's handles in the show notes. I know James = Aibohphobia, Joshua = Playful Phoenix and John = confusis, but I can't remember Jay's handle. It's helpful to mentally associate who is speaking with what they've posted on the site.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
An interesting episode, particularly the passive cooling and heatpipe parts.

It's helpful to mentally associate who is speaking with what they've posted on the site.
In 2017: Low Volume VR, with a virtual round-table of the Quad J's, you can see them yawn and pick their nose all in glorious VR 3D (VR headset sold seperately).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
It would be helpful (for at least me) to have you list the host's handles in the show notes.

Good idea, I'll do that.

In 2017: Low Volume VR, with a virtual round-table of the Quad J's

Actually, that's something I'd like to do eventually. I really like how Foo VR does a virtual reality talk show format:

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I was indeed semi-serious because it can become a thing. I would love it just for the visualisation how small or large something would be in relation.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
FooVR and AltspaceVR are the two available platforms to do that today.

FooVR is more suited to the podcast recording segment, but would need you to contact FooVR to arrange things as the 'producing' software is not available to the public. It also currently requires post-production (i.e. is not live) and may need some non-commodity equipment for high fidelity body tracking. Undoubtedly the higher quality result though.

AltspaceVR is freely and publicly available, has a desktop client that supports Rift (DK2 and CV1) and Vive as well as a normal 'flat' monitor view, a GearVR client, and can be used to create invite-only spaces. AFAIK there is no 'global mute' function though, so may be more useful for the after-recording hangout than recording the podcast itself.

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd think by the time we all have VR headsets and controllers that the software will be much more robust and available.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I have always mentally pronounced NUC as "nuke" rather than "nuck". The latter makes me think of the 3 Stooges (nyuk).

I usually call them N U C's, but most interwebs content producers call them Nyuks so I thought i'd fall in line :p

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The other reasoning for "nuke" over "nuck" is that NUC stands for Next Unit of Computing. Unit begins with a long "u" sound.

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
Recently found the forum while looking for a passive case as I make the move into dedicated PC audio. I have to say the community on here looks great and you will being seeing/hearing a lot more from me.

I'm struggling to find this episode on either itunes podcast or through the lowvolu.me link directly. Is there another source i could get it from?

Reactions: K888D

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015