SFF.Network Low Volume Ep. 2 - 14nm

Download link

• Today's hosts: Joshua Ramirez, James Schell, John Morrison, and (for the first time) Jay Mattison.
  • Fractal Design's oversized Define Nano S
    • 26.8L
    • Joins other oversized mITX enclosures, including the Prodigy and Colossus M
    • A 'stepping stone' towards SFF for traditional builders
  • NZXT's gargantuan flagship mITX case, the Manta
    • Around 44L!
    • Larger than many plain-ol' ATX enclosures
  • AMD's Polaris GPU architecture
    • 16/14nm FinFET fabrication process
    • Emphasis on lower power consumption
    • HBM
  • AMD's Zen CPU/APU architecture
    • 14nm fabrication process
    • Chipset on-die
    • Unified AM4 socket across all products
    • Mid-year launch of AM4 boards
  • Jay's LogicSupply M600 review
    • ~4L mITX enclosure
    • Marketed towards industrial use cases
    • Dual PCI slots
  • AMD's FirePro W series - good single-slot GPU candidates for general use or gaming SFF systems?
  • From the forums: "What's your favorite PSU form factor?"
    • The lesson learned: Many options to consider, far beyond SFX and SFX-L!
  • Introducing paid subscriptions to the forums: Offering premium features in order to pay for running
  • Finally, the PSU PC - one of the greatest mods and "SFF-but-not-actually" builds ever conceived by man
This episode was much more polished! Our thanks to all the listeners that provided feedback, both positive and constructive.

Reactions: Tek Everything

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Didn't even listen to the podcast yet, just wanted to say that I am very glad you took the direction of direct support by the community and staying away from ads or other brand affiliations.

I am proud to support you, thank you so much for starting this network.

PS: This is not the beta site feature we're currently testing, folks.

EDIT: Why is my badge not golden? :(

EDIT2: Soo shiny :eek:

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Woohoo! You're the first subscriber :)

Oops, made a typo for the Gold Support banner CSS class. It's fixed now.

Reactions: iFreilicht

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
You're on iTunes Podcast ! Nice ! Listening right now !

Awesome you also have the topics discussed in there, it helps following the discussions when I phase out a minute or so (life of a international spy obviously).

Fractal Nano S: ATX vs SFX-L: another advantage with SFX-L support would be a lot more interesting too because SFX-L at the moment is one size, not 140-200mm lengths. This would remove the need for more "flex space" that ATX commands right now.

EDIT: Finished the Podcast, I liked it ! Some things that did stand out:
  • Jay's volume was considerably lower this episode than the other J's
  • The fourth member/guest did add more perspective and I hope we'll hear this more often
  • Overall less discussions and dialogues this time, with some monologues taking quite some time, they felt too long
  • The topics were interesting and technically very correct to my knowledge
  • A lot of long pauzes, maybe intentional but still I thought my app had frozen
  • A suggestion for the future: have a more graphical representation of the Podcasts at SFF.net, like Soundcloud, where "indexes" could be placed (topics, highlights, etc.)
Don't take this personal, it's just meant as feedback on how I perceived it, what I liked and didn't like, I don't mean to offend.

Last edited:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Finished the Podcast, I liked it ! Some things that did stand out:
  • Jay's volume was considerably lower this episode than the other J's
  • The fourth member/guest did add more perspective and I hope we'll hear this more often
  • Overall less discussions and dialogues this time, with some monologues taking quite some time, they felt too long
  • The topics were interesting and technically very correct to my knowledge
  • A lot of long pauzes, maybe intentional but still I thought my app had frozen
  • A suggestion for the future: have a more graphical representation of the Podcasts at SFF.net, like Soundcloud, where "indexes" could be placed (topics, highlights, etc.)
Don't take this personal, it's just meant as feedback on how I perceived it, what I liked and didn't like, I don't mean to offend.

We don't take it personally at all! We very much want that feedback, and used it the first episode to make a lot of improvements.

We have already taken note of some of them, but I'll walk through each one:
  • Jay's track was soft, and it had some background artifacts/feedback that can be a bit distracting at times. We'll be trying to address that before the next episode... In fact, I'm hoping to do some work with everyone's mics to improve acoustics throughout.
  • Yes, that's Jay, and he'll be a fixture on the podcast for sure :)
  • We definitely had individuals driving topics more strongly this show. There were two instances - at the beginning, and near the end - where it became a bit much. In contrast, the best parts (to me at least) were where there was more rapid back-and-forth... So we will simply have to try to be more succinct once the microphones turn on.
  • Content curation seemed good to us, and we were well-studied going into the recording, so I'm happy that came through.
  • Yeah, we had a lot of them for some reason (perhaps because many of us spoke at length at times). I edited some pauses out, and the ones between sections were intentionally long (just a bit too long, it seems). In any case, I'll be spending more time editing down pauses in subsequent episodes, and we're well aware of the pauses :p
  • I'm not sure what you mean by this (not a Soundcloud user, and can't access it currently).
Beyond these suggestions, we're already looking at some format additions/changes, refined/additional music, and guests and other host appearances. Many of these should come to light in the next few episodes!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A suggestion for the future: have a more graphical representation of the Podcasts at SFF.net, like Soundcloud, where "indexes" could be placed (topics, highlights, etc.)

The first two episodes are on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lowvolumepodcast

But we've already hit the limit of the free plan so I'm not sure if we'll continue. For the graphical representation, are you talking about where comments can be added to the timeline?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The first two episodes are on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lowvolumepodcast

But we've already hit the limit of the free plan so I'm not sure if we'll continue. For the graphical representation, are you talking about where comments can be added to the timeline?

• Yes, that's Jay, and he'll be a fixture on the podcast for sure :)
  • I'm not sure what you mean by this (not a Soundcloud user, and can't access it currently).
Nice that Jay will be another member !

With the graphical representation, I mean a waveform like Soundcloud, but with bookmarks (like the comments on Soundcloud) for the various topics and highlights. This might be harder to do, but I've seen amazing stuff being realised here that I thought was almost impossible too.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I know that iTunes and iOS support a feature where a single podcast can be divided into parts so that you still have a single file, but you can skip to the next timestamp and even see in the description what timestamp corresponds to which topic. Not sure if that's proprietary, though.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Interesting, but I think Joshua edits in Logic Pro. How do you all listen to the podcast anyway? Streaming off lowvolu.me, direct download for local playback, iTunes, something else?

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Nice episode guys. Just a little comment though ... could it be possible to have the time at which each topic starts ? That would help a lot when you don't have time to listen to the full podcast in a raw :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
#4 --> direct brain-load??
I dunno, that sounds awfully scary with cryptolocker malware flying around. Just imagine I'd have to pay to unlock my memory, when my PIN codes and passwords are also scrambled.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I know that iTunes and iOS support a feature where a single podcast can be divided into parts so that you still have a single file, but you can skip to the next timestamp and even see in the description what timestamp corresponds to which topic. Not sure if that's proprietary, though.
Not just iTunes, Chapter Markers are supported in a variety of formats, and have even been retrofitted to .mp3 through ID3 tags.

Reactions: iFreilicht