Cooling Low profile passive cooling a AMD 2400GE

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Hi All,

So for a future project I was looking into the Ryzen 5 2400GE. The lucky few who already were able to test the APU gave some nice FPS tests with only a 20 FPS difference in fortnite in comparison to the 2400G, but overal the same game preformance.

Now when its officially released i'm planning on building a low profile rig, but I want to make it as silent as possible.

Their for since the APU is rated at 35w and mobo and ram don't take that much I would say a HDplex 80W would do.

But to keep it really silent I was planning on passively cooling the CPU aswell.

Now the idea is to keep is as low as possible in height, but should still be workable with reasonable temps.

I think their are a few real options:

- Noctua NH-LA9 (92 x 114 x 23mm)
- Noctua NH-L65X65 SE-AM4 (92 x 92 x 51mm)
- Cryorig C7 (97 x 97 x 32mm)
- Cryorig C7 CU (97 x 97 x 32mm)

Measurements are without fans ofcourse.
Now I couldn't find much more beafy heatsinks in a small format.

Which one would passively cool the best, if any?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I think that the NH L9x65 is a good option. 340g in total.
for the size and mass, its a lot less dense than the Nh L9a at 390g.

the C7 cu should probably do a fair bit better than the default C7 as well, since is 613g of copper but I'm not sure if the density of it will impact performance. the less dense the easier it should be for the hot air to escape, right?
now, its hard to say how much the added mass and density should help or not with temperatures

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Will you have at least a chassis fan ? I'd highly recommend it.

Tried to passively cool my i7-4785T (35W) with a Noctua NH-C14 and no fan, not even a chassis one .... It was was very hot in there.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Dec 25, 2017
Will you have at least a chassis fan ? I'd highly recommend it.

Tried to passively cool my i7-4785T (35W) with a Noctua NH-C14 and no fan, not even a chassis one .... It was was very hot in there.

Was not planning on a fan, but also for such builds I always shut down the Turbo in windows so I doesn't become to hot.
Also I still have to look at what kind of case I am planning on using.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
Do it properly and go for a passive case, typically streacom or HDPlex cases should cool up to 60w chips but will keep a 35w chip cool nicely.

My streacom cools a 35w intel chip and a 1050ti fully passively.

Scott

Caliper Novice
Nov 29, 2016
I have a fanless scythe samurai zz rev b on an undervolted i3-6100T in a completely fanless Lone Industries L3 and it is working without any overheating issues at all. Sits in the low 80's in full-on prime 95 stress tests and typically runs in the 70's while running games with a fanless GT 1030.
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/samurai-zz-rev-b.html

I'd be interested in hearing about your results if you do this. I wonder if TDP ratings are really made equal at times, especially once turbo boosts and things get thrown in the mix since my i3 doesn't turbo.

Last edited: