News Low profile MSI GTX 1050 ti

I apologize if this isn't news worthy. There looked to be a lot of interest in a card like this so it seemed relevant.

A low profile GTX 1050 ti has shown up on MSI's website. It's a dual fan cooler that occupies two slots, slot powered, and has dvi/HDMI/DP outputs. I've not seen any announcements about it and couldn't find it for sale anywhere yet.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html#hero-overview

Reactions: aquelito and EdZ

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@CC Ricers
I drilled an extra set of holes on the side panel only, not the top panel :
I have around 40mm clearance above my GPU, which is enough for intake.

Reactions: CC Ricers

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
Ok, that explains alot... convection is the best cooling because it is free, but in your case the CPU is heating the GPU.

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
Maybe not for the power regulators surrounding the chipsets, they are already at 110C, I don't think the contained CPU heat will make the situation durable.

rupy

Cable Smoosher
Mar 7, 2017
Hm, one last thing, the small molex JST connector from the 1050 to the fans have a black and a blue!? cable and the black is in the position where the red (+) is on the molex JST adaptor I bought. So does anyone know which of the leads is positive and negative on the MSI card? Does the fan take damage if I power it the wrong way? Could it cause anything to break on the card?

Edit: ok, so is blue -12V? this is confusing, cards on images have the red cable where the blue is on mine... would using the power on led to see which way the current flows work? are those 12V and will it not break the gfx card if there is little resistance?

Edit2: Got an answer from MSI... blue is positive... and you can see that if you google the card... but my molex JST came with the polarity inverted, feels weird is there no molex standard for how a plug should be polarised?!?!? What is happening to the world!? ;)

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I'm using an Akasa 80x10mm PWM fan with the MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP temporarily hooked up to the motherboard case fan header. It's silent with Noctua low-noise adapters. I'd like to either try powering an 80 mm fan off the GPU fan header, or add a low-noise adapter to the stock GPU fans.

TheHig referenced this adapter in a previous post.

Connectors:

Last edited:

koramas

Efficiency Noob
Mar 14, 2017
I've been looking for some noise comparisons between the MSI 1050ti LP and the Galax/gigabyte but can't seem to find any. I've been able to find that the MSI hangs around 40-42dB so far. Any idea if/how much quieter the Galax/gigabyte cards are?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Any idea if/how much quieter the Galax/gigabyte cards are?

Difference will be minimal. There's only so much you can do with such small fans and a heatsink. If there's a difference, it'll mainly be due to different fan curves.

I'd rather focus on the other aspects (length, costumer service, amount of ports, warranty, price, ...)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I agree, if you want quiet, plan on replacing the fans, or running them slower than stock. I picked the MSI solely because of it's smaller heatsink, which is easier to swap fans on.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and I haven't ran any direct comparisons but:

I own the gigabyte 1050 ti and have owned the MSI 750 ti LP (which uses the same fans as the 1050 version by the looks of it). What I can say is that the MSI's fans were not silent at idle on the 750 ti (due to the minimum fan speed being like 40% or something ridiculous). I read a review of the 1050ti on amazon saying that it had this same problem. I had to tweak the bios of the card to allow the fan speed to slow down to lower on idle.

I don't think it's possible to tweak the bios with the 1050ti (yet) so your gonna be stuck with a loud card on idle. The gigabyte card is silent on idle and still quiet under heavy load.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Keep in mind that the tested Gigabyte card is the non ti 1050. I don't expect there to be any difference with their ti card though.

There's also benchmarks in the review. The Galax ti scores worse than the Gigabyte non ti on average, while the MSI ti card clearly scores about 20% higher.

Looks like Gigabyte is the winner for now...

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Could someone measure the cooler screw distances please? I have an idea: strip the cooler from the GTX 745, slap it on the 1050 and see what happens. It'll likely thermal throttle, yes, but still it'll be the fastest single slot low profile card...

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Could someone measure the cooler screw distances please? I have an idea: strip the cooler from the GTX 745, slap it on the 1050 and see what happens. It'll likely thermal throttle, yes, but still it'll be the fastest single slot low profile card...

If you could get someone to ship it to you from Japan they have the single slot ELSA 1050ti :p http://kakaku.com/item/K0000944416/spec/
Edit: This isn't low profile, so ignore me..

Last edited:

bb_neo

What's an ITX?
May 9, 2017
Hi. I just bought the MSI 1050 TI and I agree that the dual fans are quite noisy. Before investing in new fan solutions, I tried to MBT option.
I was able save a copy of my actual BIOS but the MBT version shows "unsupported device" when I try to open the exported rom. I make sure I run as an admin but no luck.
So has anyone managed to get this to work with the new MSI graphics card? Could someone try if they can at least the step in getting the BIOS opened by the MBT?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

I measure approx 23 x 40.5 mm (0.9 x 1.6 in).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I'm using an Akasa 80x10mm PWM fan with the MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP temporarily hooked up to the motherboard case fan header. It's silent with Noctua low-noise adapters. I'd like to either try powering an 80 mm fan off the GPU fan header, or add a low-noise adapter to the stock GPU fans.

Is 10mm the thickest fan that fits in there if you don't want to go thicker than the slot covers? Here you hoped for 15mm https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/low-profile-msi-gtx-1050-ti.1160/page-2#post-22746 :) Or you just happened to have some 10mm fans lying around? Same question, different direction: how long is the heatsink?

Also, did anyone try the Zotac? From this review https://www.overclockers.ru/hardnew...j-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-v-ispolnenii-zotac.html it's clearly visible these are also placed-on-top fans.

Finally, what about the Gigabyte, that' s a no-go for some thin but big fan love , is that right?

Evercool has 10 and 15 mm fans both: EC8015(L|M|H)12CA and EC8015HH12BP

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Is 10mm the thickest fan that fits in there if you don't want to go thicker than the slot covers? Here you hoped for 15mm https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/low-profile-msi-gtx-1050-ti.1160/page-2#post-22746 :) Or you just happened to have some 10mm fans lying around? Same question, different direction: how long is the heatsink?

The heatsink is 13.4mm long and 15mm fans should just fit without being wider than the slot. I think @Aibohphobia should be able to confirm that as he has that specific setup in his Jolokai.