News Low profile MSI GTX 1050 ti

I apologize if this isn't news worthy. There looked to be a lot of interest in a card like this so it seemed relevant.

A low profile GTX 1050 ti has shown up on MSI's website. It's a dual fan cooler that occupies two slots, slot powered, and has dvi/HDMI/DP outputs. I've not seen any announcements about it and couldn't find it for sale anywhere yet.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html#hero-overview

Reactions: aquelito and EdZ

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Wish we could get a benchmark / noise comparison between the LP 1050Ti and the single slot XFX 460. Thanks for posting the info!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The NVIDIA software may be detecting FurMark and downclocking on purpose.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thank you for the info. Any chance you could post a photo of the low profile bracket, and the back of the card? Does it look like unsoldering the DVI port is something that someone would ever want to do?

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Another curious detail, the core clock in furmark doesn't seem to go higher than 1370MHz. However, after about 30 minutes of gaming, I noticed the clock was consistently at 1911MHz. Not sure how I can achieve those clocks in furmark.
The NVIDIA software may be detecting FurMark and downclocking on purpose.
Both Nvidia and AMD refer to Firmark as a 'power vampire' or 'power virus', and actively prevent cards clocking up when it is running in order to prevent damage.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Happy newyear everyone :)

Thank you for the info. Any chance you could post a photo of the low profile bracket, and the back of the card? Does it look like unsoldering the DVI port is something that someone would ever want to do?

Unsoldering seems possible but the DVI has a lot of connections that you would need to desolder. I've marked them with the red square.

Reactions: Lone

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Shame they made the 1050ti significantly longer than the 750ti (14.6cm vs 18.2cm) :(

Renders it more undesirable for ultra sff builds :(

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
What about the solder points for the metal shield?

That might be for advanced solderers only. I can count 6 solder points. Three of them on the side of the pci bracket could prove very difficult, as they're 'beneath' the shield and one of them is only a few milimeters away from the DP. It's too small to get a good picture of so I hope my explanation is clear.

Reactions: jeshikat

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Looks like I was a little wrong. There's more desolder points, but it doesn't seem so hard after all. Here's a detailed picture:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I guess the most important question would be: how does it perform, and would you buy it again?

It performs well enough for casual full hd gaming and couch gaming. It might be a tad expensive but the SFF options are limited. I have to admit that I'd been waiting a while now for a small, low power and hevc capable gpu that allowed for some gaming. So I didn't really mind paying a little more. Yes, I would buy it again.

Reactions: Lone

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I have a wall of quick and dirty comparisons in my benchmark rig for the EVGA 1050ti 4GB.

At Ultra, 8x AA, 2160x1440 it gets 1013@24 fully warmed up. I'd love to know what this little guy does.

As for Furmark, this is what my 1050 does:

So it seems that at least in Furmark the two GPUs are compareable, which is nice. I love the 1050ti. Flawless FPS in Overwatch at 1440p and Civ VI, and with some settings tweaked it does great in Fallout 4 too. Maybe noone else plays these games, but that's what I love so it is great for me! :D

It is a bit sluggish in Resolve and Premiere though, noticeable from the 1070 (which is 6GB VRAM) but it's not bad.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Looks identical to Gigabyte's 750ti LP (same IO and all). The cooler isn't too loud, but the double stacked rear IO// ugh

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Kinda curious: why are full sized DP ports used for those LP GPUs instead of mini DP? Maybe ditto HDMI

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I wonder if the cost of bundling adapters is more substantial than the cost of implementing full sized ports (and that annoying doublestack DVI)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Actually I wouldn't mind if they used super short full DP extension cables and soldered the card end directly to the card without the head...