News Low profile MSI GTX 1050 ti

I apologize if this isn't news worthy. There looked to be a lot of interest in a card like this so it seemed relevant.

A low profile GTX 1050 ti has shown up on MSI's website. It's a dual fan cooler that occupies two slots, slot powered, and has dvi/HDMI/DP outputs. I've not seen any announcements about it and couldn't find it for sale anywhere yet.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP.html#hero-overview

Reactions: aquelito and EdZ

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh no, very relevant ! Some cases will benefit from this one since these cards aren't common. It's good to see the 1050 Ti make it into this form factor. One issue though:
  • Accessories
    Low Profile Bracket (*optional)

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Yes, thanks a lot Nate. Was indeed looking such a LP GPU yesterday without any luck.

Most powerful low-profile GPU to date is the MSI 750 Ti (or Gigabyte), with the same so-so cooling solution.
Too bad it isn't singe slot though.
Is there any way to get rid of the big DVI output ?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Most powerful low-profile GPU to date is the MSI 750 Ti (or Gigabyte), with the same so-so cooling solution. Too bad it isn't singe slot though.
I can't see the cooling becoming any better than this one, with the size restrictions the dual-slot low profile form factor can allow. Making it a single slot will severely impact noise and thermal performance even more.

Desoldering seems the only way, as most (all ?) DVI ports on GPUs are soldered on the PCB.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I find myself wondering how the new low profile single slot WX 4100 would do with gaming

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Aren't workstation GPUs notorious for not having good gaming performance and vice-versa ? It could very well be a TDP limited card since workstation loads seem to be more about bursts than continuous load.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Oh no, very relevant ! Some cases will benefit from this one since these cards aren't common. It's good to see the 1050 Ti make it into this form factor. One issue though:
  • Accessories

My take on 'optional' is that it's an included accessory, but it's not required (as in, for normal width cases).

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Aug 11, 2016
My take on 'optional' is that it's an included accessory, but it's not required (as in, for normal width cases).

You're probably right. It would be a bit disappointing if they didn't include it.

I'm personally pretty excited for this. I've got some spare acrylic laying around and I've been thinking using it for a little mini itx, gpu & pico PSU box for fun. This would be the perfect card for that.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I've been waiting for a low profile 1050. What exacly is wrong with this MSI cooler? Is it worse than other low provile coolers?

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
One issue though:
  • Accessories

I'm pretty sure that just means it can optionally be used, not that it's a option that has to be purchased separately.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
I've been waiting for a low profile 1050. What exacly is wrong with this MSI cooler? Is it worse than other low provile coolers?
It's dual slot. A single slot design should be easy enough to do, dual slot limits the case compatibility..

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It's dual slot. A single slot design should be easy enough to do, dual slot limits the case compatibility..

Ok, I was under the impression that people hinted the MSI cooler being inferior to other similar coolers. Of course, 75w is a lot to cool in a single slot, low profile design...

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I can't see the cooling becoming any better than this one, with the size restrictions the dual-slot low profile form factor can allow. Making it a single slot will severely impact noise and thermal performance even more.

By single slot, I meant only one row of outputs, such as its big sister, the similar MSI 750 Ti LP.

I have a low profile single slot GT 630 which TDP is rated at 65W.

I wanted to modifiy and test its cooler on this low profile 1050 Ti.

Reactions: Phuncz

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Apart from desoldering, you can actually just cut it off with a dremel. Sounds crazy, but it won't affect the functionality of the GPU at all (apart from the missing connector of course) and is way easier than desoldering.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
Apart from desoldering, you can actually just cut it off with a dremel. Sounds crazy, but it won't affect the functionality of the GPU at all (apart from the missing connector of course) and is way easier than desoldering.
Just to back this up, Linus did it to make a single slot Titan :p