Loque Ghost S1 Build (9700k & 2080 ti)

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Very nice! Looking forward to mine. Also Ash. But planning Without tophats.

But Why Not Noctua L12?

The L9x65 performs the same as the L12 with a 92mm fan.

@Peppe I'd recommend you to flip the cooler 90 degrees (if possible on intel socket), as the pipes loose effect in vertical position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peppe

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
The L9x65 performs the same as the L12 with a 92mm fan.

@Peppe I'd recommend you to flip the cooler 90 degrees (if possible on intel socket), as the pipes loose effect in vertical position.
Thanks for the recommendation... I will give that a go. Hopefully there will be improvements

Reactions: fabio

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
Great build. I am planning to do the same, just using i9 9900k with 2080. Did you install windows on a 500gb m.2 and kept 1tb as a spare partition?

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Great build. I am planning to do the same, just using i9 9900k with 2080. Did you install windows on a 500gb m.2 and kept 1tb as a spare partition?
Thanks Dorall :) that's right. 500gb for windows and 1tb for gaming. I wanted to get myself the 9900k too but I was a little worried in terms of temps. Let me know how the temps are :)

Profila

What's an ITX?
May 4, 2019
Great looking build! How is it holding up?

Do you happen to have have any pictures from the rear of the case. I am considering a Strix mb and a FE card for a 100% black exterior.. :)

b1ackwid0w

Caliper Novice
Jul 24, 2018
OMG my 8700k delided with thermal grizzly kryonalt and under volt runs 45 at idle and 90+ under 100%load (AIDA64). My cooler is Noctua l12 and still run much hotter than yours.

Reactions: Shinken1

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Great build. How do you think of the length of the cables in the case?

The cables are fine. If anything... They are a little long and can be difficult to place them in the corner neatly... However it's not too bad. If you plan before installing the PSU etc... It can be really easy.

Reactions: bernieyee

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
OMG my 8700k delided with thermal grizzly kryonalt and under volt runs 45 at idle and 90+ under 100%load (AIDA64). My cooler is Noctua l12 and still run much hotter than yours.
Hmm very strange... Have you overlocked yours? Mine isn't overlocked you see.

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
Great looking build! How is it holding up?

Do you happen to have have any pictures from the rear of the case. I am considering a Strix mb and a FE card for a 100% black exterior.. :)
Thanks Pal. I will get you a picture later today. Looks great with the strix and FE cards. One tip though... If you get a FE card... I would use black masking tape on the edges of the exterior as it can easily scratch and will show silver.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I wonder if it's worth deliding it again and trying again?

That is what I am wondering too. I had my delidded 8700k cooled with a Scythe BS2 which offers similiar cooling to the NH-L12 and mine idled in the low 30s and max temps were 75 when running Prime95.

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
Okay. My build is finished, it's similar to yours but i did some stuff and can give people advices as well if they really want air cooled case.

i9 9900k is hot chip, like honestly if people plan to just game there's no point getting it. I've managed to tame but used two coolers, first was ShadowRock LP and i had to set TDP limit to 130wats or either AVX to 2, temps were in around 79-80 degrees during prime and Cinebench, then i tried getting APX 100 Copper and it helped quite a bit, now my temps are 29 idle and i do get 69 load with just AVX at 2 without any boost restrictions or TDP. If someone has money to spare i do recommend AXP in Copper, but be aware it's retention mechanism or mounting one is kinda not that good.

My RTX 2080 gets burning hot during open world games like Anthem, BF, Metro Exodus. Temps are in 70ie at Ultra , thus i put one Noctua fan on the bottom. Getting a damn fan on the bottom was hard, because AXP 100 and ShadowRock heatisnks are big there's barely any room for pslate cables and they take fan's space. So if someone wants bigger fan on the bottom i rather recommend getting non-sleeved custom cables from Silver wire or put longer cables behind psu. RTX 2080 retention bracket is also sticking out a bit as Nvidia used thicker pcb. Second as author has said my back plate or I/o of GPU has started showing a lot of scratches and silver colour solely because when i tried to make it flush aluminium case rubbed of the paint, and it's hard to avoid.

Last edited:

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
I also bought separate bigger feet as stock ones were short and with those bottom fan would've made no sense.

Last edited:

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
2x Small Top hats.
I had better results when top and bottom fans were exhausting heat out of the case instead of the bottom fans blowing cool air into the case.

I also purchased larger rubber feet (around 6 mm taller than the existing ones) to help improve air flow at the bottom of the case and less turbulent noise.

GPU improved by approx. 4/5 degrees
GPU fans dropped by approx. 8%
CPU improved by around 2 degrees

Lakeside

Case Bender
Jan 31, 2018
Thanks Pal. I will get you a picture later today. Looks great with the strix and FE cards. One tip though... If you get a FE card... I would use black masking tape on the edges of the exterior as it can easily scratch and will show silver.

I know that this is an older post now but can you elaborate or show pics of where you suggest using tape? I am headed toward a 2080 Ti + Loque Ghost S1 build but don't have everything in hand yet. I'd really like to head off marring up the card/case if possible. Thanks much!

Peppe

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 31, 2019
I know that this is an older post now but can you elaborate or show pics of where you suggest using tape? I am headed toward a 2080 Ti + Loque Ghost S1 build but don't have everything in hand yet. I'd really like to head off marring up the card/case if possible. Thanks much!

Please see below pictures as requested. I covered the areas in red with a thin black masking tape (got it from Amazon) as i knew if it made contact with another metal panel i.e. Ghost S1, this would scratch the card when inserting/removing the card from the case. I just did this so when it comes to selling the card in the future... it will be in fantastic condition therefore i might get a higher price... But tbh, i'm a bit OCD lol

Sorry if the pictures are not very clear...

I used masking tape so it comes off easily without leaving any sticky residue.

Masking Tape: Amazon Link

Reactions: Shinken1