looking for a cooler for a FCPGA988 (mobile) CPU in an S4

scohen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
I took the CPU out of my laptop and got a desktop motherboard that takes a mobile CPU and mobile RAM. I want to get a better CPU fan/liquid cooling system, but I am having trouble researching it since it is a mobile CPU, which you typically wouldn't buy an aftermarket cooler for. Right now I am using the cooler that came with the motherboard.

Parts:
mobo: Jetway NF9G-QM77
Intel i7 3740QM
2x8GB Patriot DDR3 PSD38G13332S
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
Crucial BX100 256GB SSD, WD20NPVT Blue 2TB HDD
HDPLEX 400W PSU

Skyreach S4 Mini, latest model

The CPU socket is FCPGA988, while the socket on the motherboard is G2 (rPGA988B)

Would I be able to use something designed for a desktop socket (like LGAx) with this?

Last edited:
Reactions: aquelito

scohen

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 10, 2018
Great, an other G2 socket build !

https://www.overclock.net/forum/50-...ome-cooling-advice-my-new-mini-itx-build.html

Or you could watercool it with a GPU block as I did or mod a GPU heatsink.
From the look of your motherboard, something like a Zalman VF-900 may fit ?

EDIT : I'm 99% sure the VF-900 fits provided you can make a 50 x 50 mounting bracket.
Cool insights! The GPU block mod sounds like it would keep my temps the lowest, but I'm not comfortable with that level of modding. For the other thread you posted, it sounds like its safe to just grab any 80mm fan that fits in the case and screw on 1 corner? That sounds like a great option if it will work. Have you gone that route, or only done the GPU cooler for your G2 build?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
My motherboard is a bit different as I already have four M2 threaded posts around the socket :
I can only screw the cooler from the top.

I used an old Thermaltake GPU block to cool an i7 3630QM, thin enough to be able to have my GPU above it :

Adapting the Zalman VF900 to the G2 socket would "only" require making two simple brackets.
If you are interested, I can draw them and add them for free to my next order of laser-cut pieces ;)
Something like this :

BTW, I'm still amazed by the price those mobile CPUs still reach today...
A 3840QM costs $150.

Last edited: