Enclosure Looking for a case in the same form factor as the Lone Industries L5 that's actually in production

BlahDehBlah

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 14, 2023
The Lazer3D HT5 is pretty close to what I'm after but it's a little expensive for what I'm planning to build. I'm going for a set top box idea for streaming and light gaming. The parts are modest, low power, and affordable to match. That case ends up being ~25% the cost of the build as a whole which leaves a lot of room for savings. Scrolling through aliexpress is mind-numbing though so I'm hoping you all here have some good suggestions.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Use this list as your starting point, to narrow the search.

Right away, I spot these 2 cases, focusing on a cheaper cost, which seems to be of your concern.

1. LZmod A24 v5

2. ZS-D2 (configuration D)

Both are around US$ 50 (excluding shipping, of course) in Taobao.

BlahDehBlah

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 14, 2023
Use this list as your starting point, to narrow the search.

Right away, I spot these 2 cases, focusing on a cheaper cost, which seems to be of your concern.

1. LZmod A24 v5

2. ZS-D2 (configuration D)

Both are around US$ 50 (excluding shipping, of course) in Taobao.
These would be great options however I'm locked out of Taobao for some reason. I tried to register and after giving it my phone number it generated a random username and in trying to change it the website logged me out citing "unusual activity" in your network. I had no chance to memorize the username and so can't access my account anymore.

BlahDehBlah

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 14, 2023
These would be great options however I'm locked out of Taobao for some reason. I tried to register and after giving it my phone number it generated a random username and in trying to change it the website logged me out citing "unusual activity" in your network. I had no chance to memorize the username and so can't access my account anymore.
Correction: my account was frozen before I got the chance to do anything. I had the foresight to copy that username somewhere for safekeeping but it didn't let me log in anyways

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This is a little strange. Usually a new user will just create an account based on his phone number (including the country code. Eg +1 for USA and Canada). A verification code will be sent to that phone number and you will need to input that to proceed the registration. Then, you choose a password for subsequent logins. AFAIK, the new account username will (initially) be the phone number supplied by the new user.

Anyway, even with a random username generated by Taobao, you can still use it to login and then change it to whatever you want.

Have you already passed through the step of receiving the verification code and then supplying a password for your account?
If you forget your password or have not set it up initially, you can click 'forget password' while logging in and the system will send you a temporary one to your registered phone number for login purpose.

Regardless, there are 2 alternatives to using Taobao directly.

1. You can use Aliexpress
Type LZmode A24 V5 or ZS-D2 and you will hit a lot of responses from different shops.
Pros:- most of them can communicate fairly well in English, relatively to Taobao
Cons:- prices are higher. Taobao is really setup for the local Chinese market and so prices are the bare lowest. Aliexpress is setup mostly for the international market and so you get 'regular' prices.

2. You can use an buying agent (eg Superbuy)
Cons:- you need to pay an additional agent fee
Pros:- they pretty much handle the whole process for you. I have never used this method as I mostly buy directly from Taobao.
But many members here have and seems to say Superbuy is a good agent. Ask around.

BlahDehBlah

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 14, 2023
This is a little strange. Usually a new user will just create an account based on his phone number (including the country code. Eg +1 for USA and Canada). A verification code will be sent to that phone number and you will need to input that to proceed the registration. Then, you choose a password for subsequent logins. AFAIK, the new account username will (initially) be the phone number supplied by the new user.

Anyway, even with a random username generated by Taobao, you can still use it to login and then change it to whatever you want.

Have you already passed through the step of receiving the verification code and then supplying a password for your account?
If you forget your password or have not set it up initially, you can click 'forget password' while logging in and the system will send you a temporary one to your registered phone number for login purpose.

Regardless, there are 2 alternatives to using Taobao directly.

1. You can use Aliexpress
Type LZmode A24 V5 or ZS-D2 and you will hit a lot of responses from different shops.
Pros:- most of them can communicate fairly well in English, relatively to Taobao
Cons:- prices are higher. Taobao is really setup for the local Chinese market and so prices are the bare lowest. Aliexpress is setup mostly for the international market and so you get 'regular' prices.

2. You can use an buying agent (eg Superbuy)
Cons:- you need to pay an additional agent fee
Pros:- they pretty much handle the whole process for you. I have never used this method as I mostly buy directly from Taobao.
But many members here have and seems to say Superbuy is a good agent. Ask around.
I definitely had some luck on superbuy. I saw this case there for ~$77 but I'm worried shipping will take that over a hundred easy. In that case I'd end up going for the more sleek HT5 by Lazer3D

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
that HT5 looks okay, just doesnt have that same quality look and styling of the L5 though does it :(