Completed Lone Industries L4

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Hi there!
I don't have much information about this case but from what i understand you can't buy it anymore. I love the layout and i want to ask, is the old version (L4) compatibile with HD plex 160W AC-DC psu, for a brickless build?

Actually, for brickless using HDPlex 160w ACDC, the answer is more like no.

Here is a response within this thread with an image, which shows HDPlex 160W ACDC won't fit with HDPlex's DC-ATX Unit:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l4.901/page-15#post-45398

If you don't plan to add any graphics card, I believe the ACDC unit can go to where the graphics card would've gone. But then, that comes with the question of why get a case with dual low profile slots, if they are not to be used.

There are also some comments about it around here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l4.901/page-25#post-93151

But a creative use of PSU, like this one, using Meanwell PSU, this looks brickless: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lone-industries-l4.901/page-21#post-59534

Remember that L4 is a compact case, and placing ACDC PSU inside the case would result in even more heat into the small space.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Just a quick update.

I have been working with a new manufacturer that's very close to where I'm located. I believe things will work out given their level of communication and the quotes I've received. The parts would no longer be laser cut, and I would have the parts powder coated instead of anodized. I'm ready to try powder coating again. The laser cut anodized parts were nice, but laser cut edges were sharp without paint, and anodizing was difficult to do in black without unsightly racking marks (which sometimes mangled the nice sharp edges).

I have also tested some of my L5 concepts by hacking up some damaged L4 parts I had kicking around, and things are looking positive. There will always be tradeoffs of course. I am almost at the point where I am feeling confident enough to order a few prototypes. People who are interested in using internal PSU should check out what J-Hack is working on.

Last edited:

dcbn

Average Stuffer
Aug 20, 2018
Just a quick update.

I have been working with a new manufacturer that's very close to where I'm located. I believe things will work out given their level of communication and the quotes I've received. The parts would no longer be laser cut, and I would have the parts powder coated instead of anodized. I'm ready to try powder coating again. The laser cut anodized parts were nice, but laser cut edges were sharp without paint, and anodizing was difficult to do in black without unsightly racking marks (which sometimes mangled the nice sharp edges).

I have also tested some of my L5 concepts by hacking up some damaged L4 parts I had kicking around, and things are looking positive. There will always be tradeoffs of course. I am almost at the point where I am feeling confident enough to order a few prototypes. People who are interested in using internal PSU should check out what J-Hack is working on.
Glad to hear that and looking forward to the L5!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
No front vent... possible option?

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I prefer the look of the vented holes front panel compared to the fan grill look in this instance, but the fan grill option will run cooler and quieter.

Is that front removable and could you supply both with the case or give the customer an option to choose which panel when ordering?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The front is not removable, but it could be (with caveats). I might do a pre-order like I've done in the past, and let people choose.

Last edited:

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
will there be vents on the side? like the L4, or just front and rear have openings?

I think I might prefer smaller holes.