Completed Lone Industries L4

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I was a big fan of the First 3 iterations of the chassis. Never had the financial ability to purchase one and am yet looking for one which is how I stumbled onto this thread. If I might add, there may be a few people who may be working with a BeQuiet! Shadow Rock LP or a Cryorig C1 so the height limitation would be a little too bad for such an amazing chassis and it's predecessors.

Do you see any possibility to include a couple of drive brackets for those who'd like to stack 2.5" drives to act as add-on storage? There already is options for 2x2.5" under the motherboard tray though where is the third 2.5" mount? When do you see this project materializing? What about color options?

Personally, I don't see it being an issue. I've never supported CPU coolers greater than 65 mm in height. The BeQuiet! Shadow Rock LP should actually work if used with a slim 15 mm height fan.

I don't plan on including drive brackets with the L4, since the mounting behind the motherboard has been added. I have some extras from the L3 which I could include if someone really wanted to do that. Using an HDPLEX 80/160W AC-DC PSU interferes with the L3 style mounting at the front of the case.

The third mount (and possibly fourth) is at the front of the case. That's why I'm going to list support as 2+ 2.5 inch drives, or something along those lines.

The L4 prototype is in production, but a couple weeks away. The L4 actually has one part that has some features that are machined, so this adds to the leadtime. Estimated availability is Q1 2017, but who knows. Not sure about colour options yet.

Nice seeing you back after a long time though ;) How've you been since?!?!

I've been doing great, thanks for asking! I appreciate your interest in my project.

The new case looks great!
But I have the same concern as Lutfij on the cpu cooler height limitation. I personnaly don't need tthe space for SSDs on the back of the motherboard. Would it be possible to have a system to elevate the MB only when needed, and if you don't, you have more height for the cooler.

Thanks! What CPU cooler are you wanting to use? Unfortunately, your suggestion would not be feasible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Chassis Packer
Modworkx Customs
Mar 4, 2016
www.modworkx.com
You're welcome! Just keeping in touch with a long lost brudda ;)

I'll keep all your pointers in mind+thank you for answering my questions and clearing the air of doubt!

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Unfortunately, your suggestion would not be feasible.

Why not? Couldn't you have normal 6mm standoffs for the board and include additional, say, 10mm ones to screw into those for elevating the board?

You'd just have to make the I/O aperture taller so it supports both configurations, and you'd have to move the GPU cutout to comply with the non-raised configuration. If the GPU has to be mounted in the raised configuration, one could again use a standoff of the same height as the other ones. Seems like a pretty nice feature if it worked out.

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
I didn't have any particular cooler in mind, although I like the C1.
It's more the idea of wasted empty space that bothered me :p
This won't prevent me of getting one case though!

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
As an L2 owner I'm sad to see the single slot restriction :(

I will be looking at this, but can't guarantee anything.

I received the prototype, and overall I'm pleased with it. There are a few issues to address though, and some clearances to adjust. The right side panel has the wrong grain direction, so it kind of sticks out a bit. It's definitely not as simple to get into than the L3. The cover must be slid off the chassis.

I'm very tempted to drop the 2.5 inch mounts behind the motherboard, and move the motherboard back so it has full access to the vent width. I need to test vent, as it may not breath well enough. It is definitely a compromise from the L3, but may be too much. Still need to test more and compare with L3.

First prototype, raw aluminum:

Last edited:

anadeji

blushresponse
Sep 2, 2016
L1 user here, been waiting for the follow-up to the L3 for my next system. Really like the idea that the L4 can sustain 2x 2.5 mounts behind the motherboard, registered to encourage that it remain on the L4 and give props.

Glad you stuck to the Lone Industries name, keep up the great work.

Reactions: Roger

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
L1 user here, been waiting for the follow-up to the L3 for my next system. Really like the idea that the L4 can sustain 2x 2.5 mounts behind the motherboard, registered to encourage that it remain on the L4 and give props.

Glad you stuck to the Lone Industries name, keep up the great work.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Did some baseline cooling tests using my L3 (without an add-on GPU), and compared with the L4.

Specs:
  • Intel Core i5-6500
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Gigabyte GA-H110N
  • Samsung SSD
  • Pico-Box 160W

Prime95 Blend Torture Test:

Open air: 64°C
L3: 65°C
L4: 70°C (CPU starts to throttle)

Clearly, the original vent design on the L4 is too restrictive for the Prime95 torture test, little NH-L9i, and i5-6500. Slightly disappointing, but not surprising. Under normal usage, as well as rendering using KeyShot (all cores), the L4 cools just fine. While Prime95 doesn't represent normal usage, I know that's what most enthusiats will fire up to test their system. So it seems like a requirement that must be met. This also doesn't include heat from a GPU yet, so that will likely make things worse.

I'm also concerned about the HDPLEX AC-DC and DC-ATX PSU support due to the amount of heat they put out.

Update March 27, 2017:

L4 with larger round vent cut outs:
Ambient: 21°C
NH-L9i (open): 67°C
NH-L9i (closed): 70°C
NH-L9x65 (closed): 65°C

Last edited:
Reactions: remixedMind

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you're going to do slots I think offset slots look better. Having each column aligned with each other looks too industrial to me.

Reactions: Phuncz

pazoo

Caliper Novice
Dec 25, 2015
Even vents look better unaligned imo.
You can even add some randomness like LukeD is doing on his project orthrus.

dreed

What's an ITX?
Sep 1, 2016
Great to see this case progressing, and I'm interested in purchasing a few.

Intended build (for software development) would include an overclocked i7-6700k, NVIDIA Quadro K1200, and Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (no other drives needed). CPU cooler height and venting are obviously of primary concern.

Attempting to build something similar to this boxx workstation. Just purchased an L1 (thx ilovelampshade) to begin my prototype.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
If you're going to do slots I think offset slots look better. Having each column aligned with each other looks too industrial to me.

I was trying to avoid offset alignment this time around. :)

Even vents look better unaligned imo.
You can even add some randomness like LukeD is doing on his project orthrus.

I may have to give this a try to get a higher free area ratio.

Great to see this case progressing, and I'm interested in purchasing a few.

Intended build (for software development) would include an overclocked i7-6700k, NVIDIA Quadro K1200, and Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (no other drives needed). CPU cooler height and venting are obviously of primary concern.

Attempting to build something similar to this boxx workstation. Just purchased an L1 (thx ilovelampshade) to begin my prototype.

Thank you. That sounds like a good fit for these cases, and similar to my usage. Venting is very important to me also, as I need a silent system, and don't do any gaming.

Do you know what CPU cooler, and power supply you'd like to use?

Glad the L1 is still circulating. I've got a couple used L1's, and one L3 collecting dust now due to old systems being upgraded (to L3, and L4).

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
Another vent idea. About 37% free area ratio.

So I like the design here, as an owner of the L2 I was wondering what with the decision to drop dual fan support on the top of the case? It seemed to me the best way to maintain decent aiflow throughout the build.