News Logic Supply MC600 Case Review

"Quite a few major manufacturers are now developing new mITX cases, which is great news, in and of itself – but a lot of these cases seem to be ignoring the “small” in small form factor. For example, the Fractal Design Node 202 and Silverstone RVZ02 do a good job of cutting some lbs. compared to cases like the Bitfenix Prodigy, and the recently launched Fractal Design Define Nano S. However for some of us, they are still not small enough."

Read More Here

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It looks like the 60mm fan that's pre-installed prevents you from fitting the graphics cards PEG connectors in. Is that correct? Other than that, nice review, I do have to say that I liked watching the video better, but that might just be me and my laziness.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
It looks like the 60mm fan that's pre-installed prevents you from fitting the graphics cards PEG connectors in. Is that correct? Other than that, nice review, I do have to say that I liked watching the video better, but that might just be me and my laziness.

You can fit the bracket/fan next to your connector by flipping the bracket around. It is an extremely tight fit, but it is doable. I would recommend using a card with rear mounted power connectors if possible.

I usually prefer videos as well. I will have to add some dragons and lasers to the next written review to spice it up.

Reactions: iFreilicht

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Darek here from Logic Supply. Thanks to Jay for the very well put together review. Happy to answer any questions about the MC600 or any of our other hardware.

Hi Darek, welcome to the forum!

It's great to see manufacturer representatives show interest in this forum, and wanting to answer questions about their products, especially as you normally seem to be more oriented towards industrial application than regular consumers.

Something that I would be interested in are the 60mm fan grills on the motherboard side. It seems like they were intended for 60mm fans, but as it was shown in the review, there's no space for such fans. It seems like if they were just used for passive ventilation, the grills would run along the whole side of the case.
Do you know what influenced this design decision? I know this is a rather technical question but that's the sort of thing I visit and love this forum for.

While I'm not a staff member, I'd encourage you to contact one of the staff members to make your affiliation with Logic Supply official.

Reactions: DarekLogic

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Something that I would be interested in are the 60mm fan grills on the motherboard side. It seems like they were intended for 60mm fans, but as it was shown in the review, there's no space for such fans. It seems like if they were just used for passive ventilation, the grills would run along the whole side of the case. Do you know what influenced this design decision? I know this is a rather technical question but that's the sort of thing I visit and love this forum for.

Hi iFreilicht, thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion about seeking verified affiliation, I've submitted a request via the contact form.

As to your excellent question, those vents are in fact intended for passive cooling (which is our particular specialty at Logic Supply). To find out more about why they're spaced in such a way, I went directly to the source, our Engineer Hans who designed and developed the MC600, here's his response.

We've had experience in the past where grouping the ventilation holes has caused some warping of the sheet metal during laser production of the case, so that space between the vents is essentially a 'pause' between areas of ventilation holes. It also matches the input size to the output size to help keep airflow through the case at a reasonable velocity. If the whole side was holes the air would have a tendency to just kind of meander across the mobo space, which is the area our typical customers need cooled most. It also matches the other side which is nice for symmetry depending on your aesthetic opinion.

I hope that gives you the answer you were looking for. While we're primarily an industrial computer (IPC) company, and the MC600 is largely intended to be used in-house to create custom systems for our clients, we greatly value the input of individuals creating and researching small form factor systems of any kind. It's fantastic to see a thriving forum like this devoted to SFF systems.

Thanks again for your question!
~Darek

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Welcome aboard!

SmallFormFactor.net will be a good source for consumer research, we're nuts about such things.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hi iFreilicht, thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion about seeking verified affiliation, I've submitted a request via the contact form.

As to your excellent question, those vents are in fact intended for passive cooling (which is our particular specialty at Logic Supply). To find out more about why they're spaced in such a way, I went directly to the source, our Engineer Hans who designed and developed the MC600, here's his response.

We've had experience in the past where grouping the ventilation holes has caused some warping of the sheet metal during laser production of the case, so that space between the vents is essentially a 'pause' between areas of ventilation holes. It also matches the input size to the output size to help keep airflow through the case at a reasonable velocity. If the whole side was holes the air would have a tendency to just kind of meander across the mobo space, which is the area our typical customers need cooled most. It also matches the other side which is nice for symmetry depending on your aesthetic opinion.

I hope that gives you the answer you were looking for. While we're primarily an industrial computer (IPC) company, and the MC600 is largely intended to be used in-house to create custom systems for our clients, we greatly value the input of individuals creating and researching small form factor systems of any kind. It's fantastic to see a thriving forum like this devoted to SFF systems.

Thanks again for your question!
~Darek

That is a perfect response, thank you very much!

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
YESS I just posted in another thread how I have been on the lookout for a small console-esque steammachine style case that can fit a dicreet gpu! This is just about the only one I've found. Great job on the review and great job on the case!

Definitely going to look more into this thing..

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
YESS I just posted in another thread how I have been on the lookout for a small console-esque steammachine style case that can fit a dicreet gpu! This is just about the only one I've found. Great job on the review and great job on the case!

Definitely going to look more into this thing..
Happy to hear it mitxlove, let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: mitxlove

wberrier

Case Bender
Oct 9, 2017
Hi, in the review, it states:

Additionally, keep in mind that you cannot use the included hard drive bracket with a dual slot GPU.​

(To get around this mounting issue, you can mount your drives directly to the base of the case, or buy an optional hard drive bracket from Logic Supply that places your drives above your GPU.)​

What bracket is that? The only one I see appears to be:

https://www.logicsupply.com/b25-2xhdd/

but that appears to only mount two drives together.

?

wberrier

Case Bender
Oct 9, 2017
Logic supply got back to me and mentioned they have a bracket that's not on the website.

They requested I contact the sales office and request "MTB100 Hard Drive Mounting Bracket for MC500, MC600".