Logic supply MC600

jhayjasa

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Hi,

Since this is my first post, I would like to introduce myself - my name is John (jhay) and I'm from the Philippines.

A little story on how this build came about. A couple of years ago I really got hooked on SFF PCs but doesn't have the time or resource to build one and back then I still have an i7 3700k which was still running perfectly. Even though it was a mATX build, it was still very big and bulky. (case - Coolermaster HAF XB)

Until recently, I'm transitioning to a new job and needing to move to a new place. Bringing my old computer was a bit of a challenge so I decided to sell my old unit and build this SFF pc which I can bring.

I started to do some research on small cases and found the mc600 which is perfect. I watched and read some reviews and also looked for information about the case and good builds in this forum. I read that one of the downside was the heat dissipation of the components leading to high temps. Since I still have time before moving to my new place, I decided to push through with the project and try to do a little and my first modding.

Lets get to it.

Parts List:
i7 6700 with a Noctual NH-L9i
Asus STRIX z270i
Crucial Ballistix 2x8gb
Zotac 1060 mini 6gb
Samsung m.2 850 256gb and Samsung m.2 960 500gb
HD plex 160w
Logic Supply mc600

Trying to solve the temp issues, I added vent holes for the gpu. Cut a portion on the back side and front side of the case.
The cut wasn't perfect and made some bad scratches, so I sent the case to a local shop here to be painted. Color is gunmetal gray then top clear coated. This was a rush job so it isn't perfect but I'm happy how it turned out.

Next was to add some mesh to the vent holes, I have a CM n200 case lying around and took the front mesh cover off and cut it with the same measurement of the vent holes.

Decided also to have the hdplex cables sleeved: (This is done by a local modder here, Homer Dikitanan)

Putting the component together:

I really liked the completed build and was thinking of cutting a portion of the front panel and adding a window so the components can be seen, also the z270i has RGB leds that adds to the looks. I actually went for an alternative/easier route and had an acrylic cut to be a replacement of the top panel cover. It has some vent hole for the cpu that was patterned from the design of gpu vent holes.

Finally putting this and completing the build:

Thanks SFF!

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Great build. I'm actually consider this case and am thinking of using acrylic for the top panel (and maybe front panel as well). Can you tell me which pci-e riser you used and where I might get one?
Also how thick is the acrylic you used, does it stick out much?

jhayjasa

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Great build. I'm actually consider this case and am thinking of using acrylic for the top panel (and maybe front panel as well). Can you tell me which pci-e riser you used and where I might get one?
Also how thick is the acrylic you used, does it stick out much?

this is the PCIE riser I used, I had it shipped from Amazon. The quality is good and the overall black color is a plus. :)

I used a 2mm acrylic, with below dimensions. It actually doesn't stick out on any part of the case and is leveled with the front panel cover. Although I would suggest a 3mm because the one I currently have is a little flimsy.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Halfdan

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply!. That riser looks good, too bad the supplier doesn't seem to ship to Europe.

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for the reply!. That riser looks good, too bad the supplier doesn't seem to ship to Europe.
I ordered one from Amazon Spain just a couple of weeks ago. They're really good and well-built risers. I guess they just sold out because apparently they removed the article from their Amazon inventory, but I'd expect them to have them up again eventually.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep a lookout for it on Amazon.

@jhayjasa Do you maybe know at what distances the screw holes have to be on the acrylic top cover, they're not shown in the above picture you posted? Thanks in advance.

jhayjasa

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep a lookout for it on Amazon.

@jhayjasa Do you maybe know at what distances the screw holes have to be on the acrylic top cover, they're not shown in the above picture you posted? Thanks in advance.

The screw holes were done manually, I went for the drilling after the acrylic cut coz the case got a little bent when I did a cut on the gpu vent holes. :)

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
Ah gotcha! :D How much difference does the GPU vent actually make? I'm thinking of making an acrylic front with GPU vents since I don't have tools for cutting steel and wouldn't be able to do it nicely anyway.

Also I see that you went with HDPlex 160W, but you have a GTX 1060, It's actually able to power the GPU and CPU with full load?

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Would a Noctua Redux fan would help the aesthetics?

jhayjasa

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
Ah gotcha! :D How much difference does the GPU vent actually make? I'm thinking of making an acrylic front with GPU vents since I don't have tools for cutting steel and wouldn't be able to do it nicely anyway.

Also I see that you went with HDPlex 160W, but you have a GTX 1060, It's actually able to power the GPU and CPU with full load?

I wasn't able to take note and have screenshots of the temps before but I remember my GPU being around 60 just by playing cs-go. It was quite high and the top cover wasn't placed.

If there are any machine shops nearby you having a CNC or laser cutter, they can easily cut the vents and since its a machine cut it would really be smooth and perfect. :)

For the HDPLEX, yep, it can handle both cpu and gpu at full load with no issues. I used 3D mark for the stress test and pc never died / restarted. Oh, although I'm not really sure if 3D mark stresses both the gpu and cpu at the same time or it does this separately? hmmmm.

For more info on how much power the 160w can handle - Josh from NFC and Jay from tekeverything has some good reviews.

Hope this helps. :)

jhayjasa

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 26, 2017
H
@jhayjasa Great work! Do you mind telling the location and size of the screw holes in the acrylic sheet? I do not have tools at home, so I can order the sheet online with the holes if you could help :)

Also, what power adapter do you use?

Thanks
Hi, thanks and sorry for the late reply.
I would suggest to have the screw holes after you have the acrylic sheet made. Giving my screw holes location would mostly not work in your case due to my case bending a little when I added the vent holes.

For the adapter its a 240w dell <this one>.

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Aug 6, 2017
I was thinking of sleeving my HDPlex and then decided not to because its a giant PITA to do but yours looks fantastic and now I'm leaning towards doing it. So thanks for that (he said sarcastically). And I love the color you chose for the acrylic. Normally Noctura components just look terrible in my opinion but the sepia toned acrylic really brings the whole look together and actually accents the Noctura color pallet which is something i didnt think could be done.

Reactions: jhayjasa