Lian-li PC-Q04 * 6700k@4.7GHz * Corsair WC Low Profile

xno-1

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Hi guys,

I'm new here, i would like to share my experience since i didnt find this rig yet ^^

Here my parts :

i7 6700k OCed @4.7Ghz (still in stress test)
Corsair WaterCooling Low Profile H5 SF
asus Z170i pro gaming itx
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 2 X 16 Go ( for UE4 development)
Gigabyte GTX 1070 OC Mini
Lian-Li PC-Q04
SSD samsung 256GB , samsung HDD 1 Tb 3.5' ( will upgrade to NVMe when price will go down )

I was going to do a custom Build in copper plate but i might have found a commercial case would could fit my need without sacrificing too much space, and this is the Lian-li PC-Q04 ( 12L)

I will receive the case this week, i will update with pics, i might encounter space problems with some part and tune down the proc.

Its first time i go watercooling , i wanted the H80i GT but wasnt available so i went with the corsair H5 SF, it has a quite particular design :

Cooling seems fine with average of 70°C and peek @85°C, the only down part is the noise , i find it quite noisy at full load, will see how it goes with closed case

12L is a bit above what i wanted so i might customize case afterward.

Thats it for now, i ll update soon, have fun :)

**** 1st update ****

I received my case this week, i took 5h to build this :

it was harder than i thought, i started manoeuver with motherboard+ cooler, it made everything complicated , i didnt want to struggle with processor afterward and possibly damage it, but it made everything easier, Cooler depth is barely the same than case's width, u can fit a wire when its flat steady

I had to unmount/mount many times cause there was always something which had to go under etc...its my first time doing this king of SFF to i sucked a little lol anyway itwas a battle honestly

But as u can see, cooler fit perfectly , the only drawback is that i sacrifice the HDD tray, i will have to use dremel but for now hdd are steady

After that we can see there s plenty of space , indeed this case is too big , this case can take ATX PSU , my SFX is too small since corsair didnt give SFX->ATX adaptor bracket, also corsair didnt give proprer screws to mount it on motherboard , either i take longer screws to fix it flat on MB , either i buy spacer to give larger room to the air going into blower.

Also the big noctua fan is pretty useless, it just gives air to graphic card and i didnt started benching it, not really my concern for now. But i was thinking about putting a fan between H5 SF blower and processor and increase air flow into H5 SF.

I would like to improve cpu cooling since with the case closed im at 4.5GHz(VCore 1.36v) (80°C)(1500 XTU benchmark)

So in conclusion : the case is big(12L), i could remove 2cm in width and 1.5cm in height and could fit 3.5hdd, some of 2.5 and still have space. The problem is i dont use smartly the overhead space. Maybe i should put a H80i GT instead... For that size and that congestion, i'm sure they could do better

Well it was fun , until next step ^^

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hi and welcome ! The Corsair H5 had much anticipation on this forum, until the noise was a very large negative. The unique fan doesn't make it easily fixable. I'm interested in your build either way, keep us updated !

xno-1

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
yeah noise is very bad at full load, well it cost only 80eu/$ , maybe they will make an better one after this first low profile shot :p

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
How big is the blower fan inside? I'd think it's at least larger than the ones that come with reference GPUs.

I heard a sample of the fan noise before, and it can get irritating for some people.

xno-1

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
I dont really know i just finished my build, i didnt open it , but i guess its the size of the width

xno-1

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Yeah i realize it, what would you recommend ? Im sure of possible height cooler between 110 and 120mm i think, im in vacation so i cannot check now

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If you've actually got 110mm or more, why not the NH-D9L? Very capable tower cooler. I think there could be even shorter tower coolers, so just search around and see whether you find something that works better for you.