Prototype LF 92mm > 120mm 3D printable adapter for L9a-AM4

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

Title pretty much says it all. I would like to make an adapter plate to attach the Noctua 120x15mm fan to the L9a. Seeing as the L9a is 92mm x 114mm I figure a fair amount of cooling is being left on the table using the A9x14 fan. Furthermore the throughput on the A12x15 is significantly more I am hoping this combo could provide significantly better cooling for AM4 in the S4M. For the record I am looking to use this on the AsRock X470 Fatal1ty. I'm willing to pay via PayPal for your time depending on rate and quality of work. Cheers!

Reactions: Fruergaard

RoLexus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 22, 2018
byanh.com
L9a-AM4 Heat sink height is 23mm so if you install 120mm fan, max RAM height is about 8+23-3=28mm, lower than standard RAM.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
Original poster
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah the plan is that the fan would be offset so sat against the RAM like the 92mm fan does but then extended further back towards the rear IO than the stock fan.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey KMPKT,

I have already designed one, I sent one to Josh for testing.

It ended up being 3.7mm tall, just enough to clear the Ram. It improves temp only in conditions that the air is recycling. It does give a quieter sound signature.

There is still a couple adjustments I need to make for user friendliness. I'll have a commercial release soon, but if you like to order an early sample, please PM me.

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes I did.

I just sold an early sample of L9i version to a person in Germany, who has been bugging me for a while.

It will have compatibility issues with any large VRM heatsink, which seems like most motherboards today.

I will need to batch this and stock them. It'll happen at j-hackcompany.com whenever. 2-3 weeks?

Reactions: caniplaymayo

caniplaymayo

Chassis Packer
Mar 28, 2018
I will need to batch this and stock them. It'll happen at j-hackcompany.com whenever. 2-3 weeks?

Awesome!

What's the angle of the left side of the duct? It looks like it might be too sharp to really help with the airflow, have you considered making it just a frame on that side and letting the air go over the mobo?