Production Lazer3D LZ7 - Quiet Gaming Cube PC Case

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
If I get a spare bit of time I'll see what can be done.

Colbyrene

Efficiency Noob
Sep 16, 2017
A few updates on the progress made this week:

Here is the new XL-Vent Top Panel, it uses a series of cutouts that are spaced for compatibility with 80mm, 92mm, 120mm and 140mm fans:

The case has up to 130mm in CPU cooler height clearance when using DC-DC power supplies such as the HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX which can be mounted to the new storage mount panel with dedicated standoffs:

Rear panel with 92mm fan mount and alternative mounting position for HDPLEX 400W PSU. The power input hole is a work in progress, I am looking into ideas for making a swappable small panel for all the common DC input power connection types, but space is tight so not sure if its feasible, the input shown below is for the HDPLEX:

First look at a Solid Oak front panel, I'm still evaluating the material as it's tricky to cut, let me know what you think:

Would really like to see the option for the rear panel tonjust be open and have a fan guard and the radial cutout for the top panel

The wood looks wondeful I'd love a nice walnut

As for CPU cooler tho, whatbare your thoughts on the Prolimatech Samuel 17 with the prolimatech ultra slim vortex 140mm or the be quiet! Shadow rock LP with the same prolimatech ultra slim vortex 140 mm?

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Would really like to see the option for the rear panel tonjust be open and have a fan guard and the radial cutout for the top panel

Me too, I'd like something to match if I choose fan guards on sides.
I realy want to buy this case

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com

Me too, I'd like something to match if I choose fan guards on sides.

There are a few problems that make it difficult to offer fan guard on the rear panel, firstly the rear panel is 5mm thick and fan screws only just reach through the panel and bite into fans as it is, if you add a fan guard in you will need to find special long length fan screws. The panel will be available in black, grey and white, if there are 2 design options that ends up being 6 different new panels instead of the planned 3 to stock at Overclockers UK, plus the new special screws, plus 92mm fan guards which are also not accounted for.

I would prefer to offer just 1 design to keep it logistically simpler. Plus the fan is on the rear so will you see it?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thanks for the comparison of the coolers !

Just some info for prospective buyers of the Scythe heatsink, be sure to check that the socket is centered !
I have both the NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 B, but I don't have a motherboard available that supports the latter one: Asus Maximus VII Impact has the VRM daughterboard in the way and the ASRock Z87E-ITX has an offset (non-centered) socket. Although I did test this is another case, not in the LZ7 but I expect the offset to be too much to fit.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the comparison of the coolers !

Just some info for prospective buyers of the Scythe heatsink, be sure to check that the socket is centered !
I have both the NH-L12 and Scythe Big Shuriken 2 B, but I don't have a motherboard available that supports the latter one: Asus Maximus VII Impact has the VRM daughterboard in the way and the ASRock Z87E-ITX has an offset (non-centered) socket. Although I did test this is another case, not in the LZ7 but I expect the offset to be too much to fit.
Good points! When your working in layouts where every mm is accounted for then compatibility with every hardware combination can't always be guaranteed.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I love that you're getting into woodgrains.

Personally, I HATE the look of oak, but since I'm not planning to pick up one of your cases anytime soon (not that I don't admire your work), take that with a grain of salt. If pressed, I'd like to see what you could do in a cherry, teak, mahogany or perhaps even maple.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Does anyone tried to monitor motherboard, ram, vrm temperatures? I'd like to see the benefit of a flower cpu cooler, my CNPS8900 with AM4 Kit is shipped, now I only need the Lz7.

EDIT 19/09/2017:
Arrived!

Last edited:

Kiaser21

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2016
K888D, since you're looking into the HDPlex stuff, have you considered a complete re-design or new case concept, similar to DAN A4-SFX with the graphics card mounted behind the motherboard, but making the overall case shorter to only accept the shorter length graphics card and maybe only a single 2.5" or just motherboard mounted NVME? It looks like you could get a case down to about 6 liters or less.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
K888D, since you're looking into the HDPlex stuff, have you considered a complete re-design or new case concept, similar to DAN A4-SFX with the graphics card mounted behind the motherboard, but making the overall case shorter to only accept the shorter length graphics card and maybe only a single 2.5" or just motherboard mounted NVME? It looks like you could get a case down to about 6 liters or less.

Something like Dan A4 or Sentry is not well ventilated like this case...LZ7 layout is the best "compromise" between size, cooling, noise.

Kiaser21

Chassis Packer
Dec 23, 2016
Something like Dan A4 or Sentry is not well ventilated like this case...LZ7 layout is the best "compromise" between size, cooling, noise.

Yeah, it's a different concept completely. The concept I was thinking about would actually almost mirror the Custom_MOD MINI itx. But a much smaller CPU cooler, and probably a lot more GPU air recirculation occurs. Still quite awesome, even the model they have that'll fit Zotac's 1080ti.

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Yeah, it's a different concept completely. The concept I was thinking about would actually almost mirror the Custom_MOD MINI itx. But a much smaller CPU cooler, and probably a lot more GPU air recirculation occurs. Still quite awesome, even the model they have that'll fit Zotac's 1080ti.

The choose of @K888D is perfect, there isn't anything like the LZ7 on the market.
If you see carefully on LZ7 website you will read:"The LZ7 focuses on being a true ITX gaming case that doesn't compromise on cooling performance".
So I think your request breaks the first target of this project.

Reactions: Biowarejak

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Well, the DAN A4 started out ( on [H] ) as a smaller (shorter?) case designed to fit DC-DC power supplies, but he eventually opted to build a case that could accommodate SFX/SFX-L PSUs, and then, perhaps, return to the DC-DC idea at a later date.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Personally, I HATE the look of oak, but since I'm not planning to pick up one of your cases anytime soon (not that I don't admire your work), take that with a grain of salt. If pressed, I'd like to see what you could do in a cherry, teak, mahogany or perhaps even maple.

So far I've tested Maple, Alder and Oak. I've got some Walnut which I'm saving till I've figured out how to cut them properly as this is my personal favorite and I don't want to ruin it, here is a photo of the 4 woods lined up:

I've not been able to cut out any panels from wood with 100% success yet, something has always gone wrong with each one! Which is frustrating as these are laser grade solid wood 5mm panels which are quite expensive.

The problem I am finding is that because they are real solid wood the sheets are basically strips of wood about 100mm - 120mm wide glued together to form a larger sheet, the glue is incredibly strong so the wood will break before the join, however the glue is much denser than the wood and so the laser struggles to cut through it unless you wack up the power and lower the speed considerably, which then causes other issues such as laser flashback and increased smoke staining. I'm experimenting in between trying to get everything else done, so unfortunately its taking some time to get right, but I hope to have at least 1 wood material option available in the next 2 - 3 months.

The Alder is a nice colour and texture, but it varies so much in texture and colour from strip to strip on the same sheet it kind of ruins it (for me), some people may like it though who knows, here are some phone snaps to see what I mean:

Before you call me out for the grain/strips being vertical, this was a conscious decision (just for testing) to get 3 panels out of the sheet instead of 2 panels if orientating the grain horizontally.

The Oak looks good and its difficult to see the join between the strips, this is my second favourite, the tone of the wood works really well with the matte black panels.

The Maple in my opinion looks a little bland and washed out and its light colour clashes too much with dark panels, it doesn't work great either against white panels because the laser cut edge faces are very dark from the cutting process, but again I guess wood aesthetics is a matter of personal opinion. I've not taken any photos of the maple yet.

Cherry is also available, but unfortunately for some reason I missed it off my order.

I have a few ideas for low profile cases (console style) and would like to pursue them next year, as others have commented I don't want my cases to compromise on cooling, which means they won't be as small as they could potentially be, in the region of 6 - 8 litres would be the target.

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
one thing that intrigues me is the 4 holes in the upper panel (close to the PSU), does this have any use?

If it were use for a prototype, can we get any pictures?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
one thing that intrigues me is the 4 holes in the upper panel (close to the PSU), does this have any use?

If it were use for a prototype, can we get any pictures?

These were just in case I ever released a handle, not something I've got round to doing yet.

Another use was for a PSU support bracket as can be seen below, although this was more useful when the rear panel was made from 3mm Acrylic instead of the current 5mm which now offers more support for the PSU:

dcaparros

Trash Compacter
May 19, 2017
These were just in case I ever released a handle, not something I've got round to doing yet.

Another use was for a PSU support bracket as can be seen below, although this was more useful when the rear panel was made from 3mm Acrylic instead of the current 5mm which now offers more support for the PSU:

thanks for the reply, I think that PSU cover is not needed anymore with 5mm panels (although if anyone tries a SFX-L even if you advised not to use it may help)

I would like to see a handle someday,I don't know if that's useful since the case is so compact, but it would nice to have

Reactions: K888D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Love the update ! The wood panels look amazing ! Can't wait to see the results where you've dialed everything down.

Reactions: dcaparros

Colbyrene

Efficiency Noob
Sep 16, 2017
I really wish there were some solid test results with this case and an i7-7700k so I could commit to purchasing, I'm on the fence between this and a lian-li pc-q33